Bed Bath & Beyond

Updated October 19, 2014
2.8

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares
Steve Temares

Pros
  • Great customer service policy which keeps great customer retention (in 115 reviews)

• Pay is good compared to other retailers (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • If you were to mention work/life balance while interviewing - you would never be hired (in 26 reviews)

• You must work long hours to really excel in your position (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst job, even worse trying to legally collect last paycheck.

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

There is nothing good about this place. Treated worse than horror stories of walmart.

Cons

Paid .50 less per hr than agreed to. Sched.outside of my availability everytime. Refused to mail final check or release to me until I signed paperwork. (Illegal).

Every manager at the San Antonio Quarry store should be fired for violating workers rights including forced working off the clock. Only managers at the store are full time (out of 50)

The proverbial dead end of your retail career, period.

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The monthly incentives for associates, a legitimately good, almost 50% off deal on specific items..and that's about it.

Cons

dragging managers or "faux associates" around the store as place fillers and then abusing them when not living up to expectations.

Consider seeing the worth of employees with upper management potential, knowledge of policy, procedure and not abusing them, by using them to fill a space when payroll is slashed. Have knowledge of your inventory and own company directives when giving blanket direction. Use opportunities throughout the year to correct behaviors, or MANAGE, not once during the yearly review. Best of luck to assistants in BBB, the truly beaten upon, as the Dept. Manager role is dissolved and potentially valuable managers, many of whom have a better working knowledge of BBB product and customer service philosophy then senior management, quit out of frustration and neglect.

WAY too many responsibilities for a stressful minimum wage retail job

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's nice to have 20% off the merchandise, but when you can download a 20% off coupon from the internet, or get them sent to you several times a year by email, and you see paperwork that shows 75%-85% markup on all merchandise, it's not really that much of a perk. Oh the mandatory 15 min breaks every 4 hours are nice I guess, but the job is so exhausting you need to sit down every 4 hours for sure!

Cons

They say from the start they are all about customer service, and that ONE customer standing in line is considered a lineup at the cashier, and they never want customers (a customer) to wait in line, but then managers cheap out and only schedule one worker on the Customer Service desk every am, ("it's not very busy" they say) so any time there is more than one person in line, she is on the walkie calling for backup help. When it would be totally fine to help one customer, then the other, rather than make it a whole big deal, have the walkie involved, someone else comes running, calls the 2nd customer to another till, has to log into the till, is out of breath, half a mind on what she was doing before she was interrupted. And by then the Customer Service girl is already done with the first customer and could have been halfway done helping this 2nd customer. Who now has to wait for me to log into my till and switch gears from floor to cashier to help them. It's a very weird policy. So if you are on the floor, like I was, and you inevitably hear the call for backup cashier, in the middle of helping a customer, you have to disengage, say on the walkie you're busy, and hope someone else goes. if nobody else does, and the girl at the front calls again, you have to leave your customer and RUN to the cashier, check out one, maybe two people, and then go back to the floor, where your customer has probably moved on, but you have no idea if they got what they were looking for. It's the WEIRDEST policy. Very stressful too, because you are constantly listening to the walkie, so not really present with your customers on the floor, and always being called away from what you are doing. Also in the morning, you have to restock the shelves. Another weird policy. if they sell ONE towel, someone in the stockroom pulls another one of those towels out, puts it in a shopping cart, and you in the morning, on the floor, have to put that one towel back on the top of the pile, so the store always looks super full. It's so inefficient though. So I am doing that, rather than walking around greeting customers and asking if I can help, if I can help them spend money? VERY often I had customers complaining to me that there is nobody to help them. That's cause a) management has decided morning isn't busy so they don't need to hire too many people b) my time is better spend restocking one towel here one towel there than helping them and c) I'm the backup cashier because I'm the only one on this 3,000 square foot side of the store so I'll have to run if I get called. Sorry Mr Customer! But Customer Service is our #1 priority, really!!! SO WEIRD!!! And the training is so extensive, it goes on for DAYS. For minimum wage retail job!!! Seriously? I have to do that TOO?! At the same time that I'm expected to do those other things? for minimum wage?? I just don't understand why they don't have another cashier on, for minimum wage, to stand there, relaxed, smiling, ready to help customers, so that I can remain on the floor relaxed, smiling, helping customers. There would be way more sales and way happier customers. SOOO often, I get called from the floor to the till, and I get there, and there are like 8 people standing around customer service, and ALL the tills are empty. It looks SO BAD ON THE STORE!! And the customers inevitably ask, after I've gone up to one and said, "I'll help you, come over to this till" then I run behind the till, log in with the like 10 clicks it takes, then started helping them, they ask, "Why is there nobody on cash?" It's embarrassing really. But BBB is still expanding, bringing in Bye Bye Baby apparently to Canada, so I doubt they'll change. So just don't work there!! It's a VERY stressful place to work. My manager also had no emotional intelligence or managerial skills, was one of those people who only ever pointed out what you were doing wrong, never complimented or gave positive feedback, (manager training BBB?) she was a totally different person in the interview with me (charming, lovely, told me 20 hours a week would be no problem) than she was in person. She was awful, so unkind, and I literally had so much performance anxiety from anticipating all her negative comments, after a few months there that one day I just phoned in (got another manager thank gawd) and resigned. I would never recommend anyone intelligent, sensitive, anyone who sincerely loves giving great customer service as I do, EVER apply to this horrible company.

Read above VERY carefully. Also, be clearer about the fact that you can't even guarantee the 15 or 20 hours part-time people expect. That it will change every week, but you don't do the schedule until a few days before, so hopefully the applicant has A SECOND part time job that they can call at the last minute and they'll give you hours, cause BBB can't guarantee it and they have no idea what it will be week to week, and it's all done last minute, depending on sales revenue I can only guess. Also, maybe let people get comfortable with one thing (working the floor and helping customers) before piling on the paperwork and online ordering and stocking and all the other things. Maybe don't do ALL the training at once, day after day. It's exhausting, stressful, and without practicing and gaining experience and confidence, you will just create anxious, hesitant employees who will be unable to help customers in a relaxed, pleasant, informed way. Also, teach your managers that before they criticize, they should compliment. As in, "Great job how you stocked the towels today, it looks great! I'd love to work on your online ordering, could we spend some time doing that today?" You know, basic stuff. Your managers could really use it.

My overall experience was horrible, and the managers/customers weren't very nice to employees.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Warrensville Heights, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Warrensville Heights, OH

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I earned some cash, that's about it.

Cons

For me, my opinion seemed to be irrelevant. The manager's here seemed to always talk down to their co-workers. After 5 years of being there, I didn't get much of a raise.

Be nicer to your employees.

Horrible if any training and management always in the office.

Former Employee - Department Manager - Hard Lines in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Department Manager - Hard Lines in Memphis, TN

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay rate and benefits and customer

Cons

Lack of training and poor schedules and no store manager on the floor

Train and care.

Assistant Manager; "there is always someone who can replace you"

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

If you are entrepreneurial you have a lot to say what you order and in what quantities. Great way to build business if you know your location's clientele.

Cons

If you do not have a well organized store manager who is committed to team success in your store, you may as we'll be on an island. If store merchandising changes are not well planned and executed plan staying well beyond your scheduled hours without compensation.

Demonstrate loyalty to your employees in stores. Not all store mangers are capable to supply those in their store with the tools they need to be successful.

Frustrating

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility. Not really any challenging work. I have to have twenty words, but that's all that's remotely positive about this place.

Cons

Just about everything else. Management is awful, nothing runs smoothly here. Pay is still minimum wage, they will also cut your hours for no reason at all. Full time isn't available unless the position is opened. Childish staff. Ridiculous amount of people apply and stay for a few weeks or just abandon the job after a few days so prepare to pick up their slack! The worst part is you never do your own job you do everyone else's as well. Too much is expected from you for the pay.

Stop treating your associates like crap and learn to run a business, it's not high school. Associates won't stay unless something changes the turnover rate is extremely high. No one who needs money wants to deal with the bull.

LIES

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time

Pros

It's A Job .. Do it For The Check

Cons

Everything, Managment sucks, everyone has an attitude

Started positive. Then quickly turned to crap

Former Employee - Receiver in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Receiver in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They really are all about customer service. Morning huddles intended to be positive but sometimes became passive aggressive and hostile.

Cons

Training not effective. Some of the management team are weak.

Talk to the employees. Get honest answers.

Unprofessional

Current Employee - Associate in Brandon, FL
    Current Employee - Associate in Brandon, FL

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount for employees is a nice perk

Cons

Over worked and underpaid. Management is poor. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Communication is nonexistant, every day they want to try something new to fix a broken culture and environment. Advancement, forget about it. There are individuals that work there that have more experience than many managers, however, all they do is belittle and treat people like dirt and then they wonder WHY people leave. Call-offs they happen every day. I saw 12 people quit in a 3 month period, new people come in and then your hours drop, and the list goes on and on.......

Unannounced visits by upper management. Don't believe what is "on paper" to show you how they are "quote" fixing issues that came up in the LAST ANNOUNCED visit. Everyone wants to be appreciate and recognized once in a while for what they do, not beaten down every day or management plays the pass the buck blame game cause NOBODY is held accountable for ANYTHING, and after all it is too much to ask heaven forbid for someone to admit they made a mistake. So sad