Bed Bath & Beyond

Bed Bath & Beyond Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares

Steve Temares

Pros
  • Great customer service policy which keeps great customer retention(in 98 reviews)

• Pay is good compared to other retailers(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • If you were to mention work/life balance while interviewing - you would never be hired(in 23 reviews)

• Very little room to promote since they only have little full time positions(in 47 reviews)

Manager

Manager (Current Employee) Pendergrass, GA

ProsNone, they have no benefits accept for direct deposit shows up on time. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work there.

ConsThey eCommerce fulfillment centers are operated like stores. No work life balance, work every holiday. Treat associates as if they where expendable. Work EVERY holiday except, 3. Then want people to work on Thanksgiving Day with no overtime. The place is a toilet.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your associates or a union organizer will.

Only worth working for if part time

Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsThe coworkers are like family, flexible with scheduling, if part time very easy job, good amount of paid time off

ConsPoor pay, not enough staff working for amount of customers coming in, not enough hours, corporate expects you to jump through hoops to get work done.

Hard work and no benefits for part-time employees.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Southaven, MS

Pros20% off on all items in the store. 20 cent annual raise for employees.

ConsNo benefits and no leadership training for part-time employees. As for work/ life balance an employee's shift ended at 10:00pm the very next morning a shift for that same employee started at 8:00am! No benefits for part-time employees means: no tuition reimbursement, no paid time off, no holidays off, no workers compensation, no maternity leave, no bereavement leave and no promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate benefits for part-time employees and leadership/ management training.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The home of erratic hours- don't depend on a steady income

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThere's the 20% discount- the same one that customers get by saving those magic coupons. Opportunity to gain experience in every department.

ConsOpportunities for promotion if you are willing to totally abandon life outside of work and "volunteer" to travel to other regional stores to help with staffing shortages and overnight setups. Scheduled hours mean nothing- managers on duty will regularly release you an hour early or try to keep you three hours over. As you near your anniversary mark, watch your scheduled hours get whittled away and the newest hires will get them instead. Even if you weren't hired as a cashier, expect to spend a lot of time ringing up front. And if you are a cashier, some stores will also expect you to clean the restrooms every night. Despite ladder "safety" training, unsafe ladder use is encouraged by the layout of the stockroom/ selling floor and by how the receivers/ stockers stack merchandise in both places.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you treat your people more like people rather than serfs or indentured servants, you might not have to worry so much about why you can't keep employees.

Worst company to work for . Pay ok treat you like terrible

Department Manager (Former Employee) Davie, FL

ProsPay ok expectations and hours are absurd. I can't think of too many pros. Except for ok salary .

ConsDon't care about their people . Bad work environment . Very negative. Always hiring high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people well & be more a more positive place that people want to work for.

Terrible.

Bath Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe other employees are great and it's like a big family.

ConsSupervisors are terrible. They're disrespectful and left me locked in the building BY MYSELF with a group of 15+ men while they were cleaning the floors.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees more and be more understanding of things like morning sickness.

Full time supervisor

Supervisor (Current Employee)

Prosgreat for young kids just looking for a summer gig.

Consyou are expected to reach sales goals with no expectation of any type of commission. And when they are met, they are raised with no gratitude or reward. After 7 years with the company it is getting much worse.

Advice to Senior Managementreward those of us who truly make your company what it is.

Not Really a Manager of Anything!

Department Manager (Current Employee) Allentown, PA

ProsYou get to work really hard without any help. I get to manage myself most days because I'm the only one in my department. Yes, these are the Pros of the job. You do get one weekend day off a week.

ConsNever enough help. My day begins at 6 or 7 and it starts with dropping one of the sides for about an hour to an hour and a half. There is only one senior manager that will even help with dropping all other managers will find a place to hide or pretend to be busy. Then after that I will put away stock replenishment until about 10:30 to 11 then Power Hour (no tasks allowed) starts and that lasts until 3 Then you have a whole 2 hours left to do all your new items that came in and make room for new items that will arrive the next day. Oh yeah, did I mention that I cover the whole side of a store and help all customers and assist with carryout and get carts too. If I'm lucky enough to get someone "scheduled" on my side they are usually acting as a backup cashier. There is little advancement opportunity unless the DM is your buddy or you worked for him at another company. Raises- oh yeah about that- don't count on it because it ranges from 0-2%. The DM is known as a liar and no one believes a word that comes out of his mouth. He will flat out lie to you and then deny it when HR gets involved. He has no trust amongst most lower level managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour making money, start giving back a little more to the associates. Update the computer system NOW! A Department Manager should mean something other than higher paid sales associate. District Staff should be looked at and readjust their "Godlike" demeanor.

someone needs to start a strike against this company!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsNothing. If I could give them a 0 star rating I would!

ConsBed bath and beyond is America's version of a sweat shop. Long grueling hours of heavy lifting and being verbally abused by ungrateful customers. They will make you jump through flaming hoops before they give you the slightest promotion, and when you finally make the jump from sales associate to FES there is no pay raise, just more responsibility and more opportunities to get pulled into the office and screamed at for even the slightest mistake.
    The pay is very low and the hours are very inconsistent. It's impossible to move up to full time but if management knows you could use the extra hours they will consistently work you with full time hours without giving you full time benefits! Then just when you get comfortable working 36-40 hours a week, the "off season" (which is CHRISTMAS time) will start and you will be dropped to 5-15 hours a week. They also have a big issue with giving any time off even if time is requested months in advanced they will come to you and tell you that the 3 whole days in a row you wanted off was too much to ask and you need to adjust it. I CANNOT WAIT TO BE DONE WITH THIS PLACE! STAY FAR FAR AWAY!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a good long hard look at yourself and really thin k for a minute about what you are doing to honest hard working people.

Compensation Not Worth What Is Asked Of You

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Westlake, OH

ProsThe only thing that was worth having this job was the 20% discount you got. But even that wasn't that great because you can always find the products cheaper elsewhere.

ConsFor pretty much minimum wage you're required to be a Sales Associate, a Cashier and on top of that you have to do Replen (restocking the shelves in the morning) Freight (putting delivered merchandise on shelves at night) and you're a Janitor. Not only is all this expected of you they often mess up scheduling. I was constantly asked to work opening shifts, and then to come back and close the store down (with only a couple hours for a break in between) and then they would schedule you to open again the next morning resulting in less than 5 hours of sleep between shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if those that managed would follow the rules that are put in place, and actually helped out around the store. Running around the store yelling at employees if they made any Beyond Store orders is not helpful.

Worked for Bed Bath & Beyond? Contribute to the Community!