Bed Bath & Beyond

Updated October 24, 2014
2.8

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares
Steve Temares

Pros
  • Great customer service policy which keeps great customer retention (in 116 reviews)

• Pay is good compared to other retailers (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • If you were to mention work/life balance while interviewing - you would never be hired (in 26 reviews)

• You must work long hours to really excel in your position (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent job for part time - not recommended for a full-time position

Former Employee - RTV Supervisor in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - RTV Supervisor in Burlington, MA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Decent pay, especially by retail standards.
    - Flexibility in hours/scheduling

Cons

- Unrealistic expectations once you are in a position of responsibility
    - No consideration for work/life balance
    - Pressure by management to work longer hours/stay late
    - Very little training

- Have a more reasonable concept of work/life balance
    - Work beside your employees rather than delegating

this place is horrible to work at no room for advancement the managers are not helpful

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time

Pros

associates were nice and some of the dept managers

Cons

no room for advancement the pay is bad and no hours

start caring about your associates

Long hours and unappreciated

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employee discount. Customer base. Wide array of products to learn about. No closing shifts. Don't work hardly any Sundays. Friendly associates.

Cons

55-60 hrs a week. Bonus program is horrible. Max 10% of your salary and basically impossible to hit it. Treated horrible by District Manager.

Nice place for a second job

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Kind and understanding people working there

Cons

Not many hours or consistency but not horrible

Very good I mean Its cause of the group of people I work with an the Store Manager. .. G.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Helps a gentle like me knowledge on some of the finer things in life, when I'm making millionaire

Cons

The pay and honestly the raise is a slap in the face 1 onces a Year? And it should give some type of commission, incentives.

Some don't understand we wanna learn, some of the slack is their responsibility. Get rid of the onces who do no work,,,,, help us out no need sit are bs around

Worst job, even worse trying to legally collect last paycheck.

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

There is nothing good about this place. Treated worse than horror stories of walmart.

Cons

Paid .50 less per hr than agreed to. Sched.outside of my availability everytime. Refused to mail final check or release to me until I signed paperwork. (Illegal).

Every manager at the San Antonio Quarry store should be fired for violating workers rights including forced working off the clock. Only managers at the store are full time (out of 50)

You work like elephant but eat like an ant.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Customer service and people person

Cons

Too many Indian, but no chief.Associates work a lot with little to show for it. One time a bird died in a parking lot,instead of the manager who saw the bird clear it,the manager looked the whole store to find me to clear the bird,because the manager was scared of the dead bird and all the implications it might carry.

Try not looked down on your associates.Don't just treat the customer and your associates like a second hand citizens.

Not so great....

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. They pay well for outside managers, coming in you can get 65 to 75k a year in the right district.
    2. They have a great incentive program where you can get select merchandise up to 50% off .
    3. Health Insurance and 401K are good
    4. Easy to move from a department manager to Assistant Manager

Cons

1. No work life balance they will tell you during the interview process that you will work 10 hour days and sometimes more when needed. You will work 12 + hour days plus come in on your day off to meet their demands. Plan on working 70 hours a week.

2. As a manager expect to work 7 or more hours before being given a 30 min lunch break. You better not be 1 minute late. There are no other breaks just a 30 minute lunch break regardless how many hours you work.

3. Be prepared to leave work at midnight and be expected to open the next day which requires you to arrive at 6 am.

4. When you are the opening manager and the closing manager calls out sick you will be expected to work open to close. You will not be compensated in any way for the extra time worked. If you are the only key holder in the building you cannot leave the store for any reason

5. Extremely high management turnover. In the 3 years I have been with the company my store has gone through 3 store managers, 13 assistant managers and probably 25 Department Manager. I am the longest serving assistant manager in my district. (I have turned down promotion offers)

6. You do not get promoted by applying for available positions. You are called to the office and told you are being promoted.

7. Antiquated everything. Until recently schedules were hand written then entered into the computer. Old cash register systems.

8. Transferring you at will. If you have another store within about 1 1/2 hour drive they will call you into the office and tell you they are transferring you and to report the next day to your new store. I currently pass by a store which is 15 min from my home and drive an hour and 20 mins one way work 12+ hours then drive an hour and 20 min home.

9. As a manager you will climb a ladder at least 20 times a day, run the cash register almost nonstop, you will be required to hit beyond store quotas (customer special orders) though they say there are no quotas there are and you will be chastised if you don't hit your quota.

10. They will change your previously approved vacation time on short notice.

11. They boast about university training classes. The reality is they will throw you into the job with barely more than register training and you have to push to learn anything on your own. Bed Bath is decentralized which means every store is merchandised different. What the ASM says is good the SM can say is wrong, What the SM says is good the DM can say is wrong. Expect to defend every thing you do and be able to explain why you did it.

Tough way to make money, but can be fun

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Comraderie, flexible hours and scheduling.

Cons

Expect you to work on your own time. Holiday hours.

Be nicer to your employees.

Cheap company. Lies lies lies

Former Employee - Department Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy job. No P&L management. No sales goals to hit. No pressure for performance. Usually 48-50 hour work week. Health insurance is good.

Cons

The pros are actually cons too. But add to that there is almost no such thing as a raise & increases for promotions are 5-7%. If you want to promote be willing to relocate to undesireable places. Recruiters will tell you it's a store manager training program but you will be an overpaid freight thrower/cashier/CSR. DOS based system is so ridiculous. Your work environment will depend greatly on the store
    manager you work for.

Value your people and pay them better