Bed Bath & Beyond

Updated January 29, 2015
2.8

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares
Steve Temares

Pros
  • They train employees on product knowledge to help deliver better customer service (in 120 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about products you never even considered owning or even knew about before (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • If you were to mention work/life balance while interviewing - you would never be hired (in 28 reviews)

• You must work long hours to really excel in your position (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Too little staff too much work

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a job you get a paycheck

Cons

little pay, dangerous work on ladders, old register systems, overworked managers. disorganized dirty store

The managers on site do not control much to truly take care of their customers how they say the want to they need to hire enough people and pay them a decent wage so want to work. I have been there 5 months and 5 people have quit!

Poor working environment.

Former Employee - Cashier, Customer Service in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier, Customer Service in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is the only pro I can think of from when I worked there. It was 30 percent off. So you can get 30 percent off overpriced bed, bath and kitchen gadgets. Awesome.

Cons

The managers were extremely moody and always rude to the part time workers. We feared asking them questions because they talked down to us and acted like we should have known answers to their questions. There was not adequate training for part timers and many of us had legitimate questions because we were facing situations we were not prepared to tackle.

Consider talking to your regional management about promoting healthy, positive work environments. It makes such a difference when the company culture sets the example of being hard working, approachable, oh, and actually happy to be at their job.

Lack of leader development

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solid pay for retail, good vacation and benefits.

Cons

No leadership, management and communication development training for Assistant and Store Managers. There is no sense of teamwork among managers in which It is very competitive to get to the next level. Lot of favoritism toward non-black employees.

Work as a team. People are your most valuable resource. Train and development the associates from the ground floor.

must have patient

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

if you go to school they work with you to an extent some managers look out for you

Cons

raise is based on what they want to give u and promotions are given to who is buddy buddy with the store manager no leadership with mangers they choose there favorites and will look out for the customer and make them happy then make the associate happy

A tooth and nail fight trying to maintain my good work ethic.

Current Employee - Front End Lead in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - Front End Lead in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Talking to a friend and when you provide excellent customer service, the customers come back and mention you by name.

Cons

Upper management, almost all of them literally seem to not care.

Too much to say.

Bad management!

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Normal, IL

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Nice to work in a social environment, most co-workers were pleasant

Cons

Management scheduled me during my classes all the time when I was a college student. I would have to call regularly and explain that they need to change my schedule. They would refuse to. When I would show up late because of class, they got mad at me. Eventually they told me I needed to get my priorities straight and come into work. My priorities were school, not my part-time job. They did not seem to understand this and the issue continued, so I quit.

Understand that people have lives outside of work.

Front End Monitor

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

There are no pros to working here, at least not at the Columbia, Md Location

Cons

Horrible Managment, Poor Communication skills,

Communicate

Training is not this companies forte

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is decent, provided you are a good negotiator. Otherwise, you'll struggle. There are some good people working here too. You'll make friends.

Cons

If you are not an absolute stickler for your training, you will not receive it. Rest assured there will come a time in which they will hold you accountable to things you haven't been taught.

Practice what you espouse, ensure you listen to your newly acquired talent, and react when they need assistance.

Culture of the Company

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager Operations in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager Operations in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is casual. I was promoted twice in 1 year to a key carrying manager.

Cons

They need to improve on training and developing their managers. Although I was happy to be promoted, I found it challenging to succeed without any help.

Management should share responsibilities at the store level. Each manager having a different role divides the team and makes it challenging to stay on the same page. Ops versus hard and soft side is not effective. All managers should be proficient so that moving up and being effective is easier. The DM needs to do a better job of developing the staff so that the stores are stronger each year. HR managers are also not involved enough in each store. Not preparing each store for the new laws effecting staffing/personnel is very costly to the success of the business. Productivity is directly related to staffing and personel decisions made by the DM and HR managers.

Full of politics

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chelsea, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chelsea, NY

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Flexible schedule.
    Benefits are good.
    If you are not good at the job they will still keep you around as long as your time and attendance is good.

Cons

You can move up the company ladder if you are best friends with any of the higher ups. They don't acknowledge the good workers enough. Starts off part time and will not make it to full time if you have not made 5 years.