Bed Bath & Beyond

Updated December 17, 2014
2.8

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares
Steve Temares

Pros
  • They train employees on product knowledge to help deliver better customer service (in 120 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about products you never even considered owning or even knew about before (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • If you were to mention work/life balance while interviewing - you would never be hired (in 28 reviews)

• You must work long hours to really excel in your position (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Vestal, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Vestal, NY

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount
    Good Management team
    Good training and ethics
    Nice coworkers

Cons

So far I only do not like a set schedule. I am ocd in a way and would prefer to work the same shift so I can keep my life outside in order.
    I cannot really say anything else in a negative aspect.

I loved my job there. I wish I was still working there. Had to quit because of family issues. Worked many different positions while I was there.

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Metairie, LA
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Metairie, LA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I loved to help the customers. The company teaches great customer service. I was interested in the items we sold. Co workers were also nice to work with.

Cons

Management was horrible. They never appreciated anything you did, when you went over & BEYOND to do the task they asked you to do. Never got thanked or just told "Hey great job". Always negativity. Management was never organized or on the SAME PAGE as each other.

Treat your employees better & praise them when they do a good job. Treat them as equals, not beneath you. They will work harder & have a great attitude altogether if they feel respected.

Overall a good company. They have good customer service values and culture.

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There seems to always be opporunities to advance in the company. They pay well for an average retail company. Salaried employees make very good money. They train employees on product knowledge to help deliver better customer service.

Cons

They tend to want BBB to be your life and aren't very happy if employees want to pursue school. Salaried managers are expected to be workaholics. Although they pay well, hourly associates get the short end of the stick. They only do raises once a year and can only get an increase of a certian percent. So employees don't get paid based on their value or how much they do. Also when minimum wage raises they only make sure employees wages at least meet that requirement instead of raising everyones wage by the minimum wage increase. So in some cases an hourly employee who has been with the company for many years isn't getting paid much more than a newly hired employee.

Time flys by

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Empowerment do go above and beyond for our customers. Employee incentive is very generous. Freedom to merchandise and make an impact on sales.

Cons

Ten hour days. Can be brutal

Let us leave early sometime if our work is done

It was sales and it was ok.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mostly nice people to work for there.

Cons

Once January hits then ZERO HOURS.

What a joke!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The ONLY pros to working for Bed Bath & Beyond are 1) I have made some friends and 2) the paycheck hasn't bounced.

Cons

What a joke! The district and regional management keeps heaping on task after task after task without allowing ANY time to complete any of them. Literally everybody knows that it is IMPOSSIBLE to complete all the things they're asking us to do. I have even heard district staff admit that the workload is impossible. So the net result is that regional management is making the stores decide what's important and what will be ignored. The store teams are doing what they can but will never catch up. My store manager is putting in 75+ hours each week and nobody cares: all they do is ask him why this wasn't done or that wasn't done. Then they wonder why nobody wants to get promoted to store manager?!?!?! As senior managers, we are watching how they treat the store managers and district staff and WE WANT OUT.

The most recent example of stupidity was to roll out major process changes all at the same time, all during the busiest 2 months of the year (Nov and Dec). Somebody decided to start the new Time & Attendance program (Force) and the new ordering program at the same time. Sure, either one may eventually be beneficial but in the meantime we're trying to learn new essential processes and that takes us off the sales floor while at the same time keeps us from accomplishing things on the 97 to-do lists you've given us.

My advice? Run away from BBB. It's not a job for anyone who values their self-confidence, who takes their career seriously, or who might even (gasp!) want a sense of job satisfaction at the end of the day.

I issue a challenge to BBB management: hire an outside company to conduct an ANONYMOUS survey of employees. Ask questions like "How can we help you do your job better" or "Are you currently seeking employment outside of BBB". You will be shocked at the answers. Oh, wait, I almost forgot.....you don't care what the employees think.

They have been very good and very fair with me.....

Current Employee - Cashier, Customer Service in Downers Grove, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier, Customer Service in Downers Grove, IL

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We have flexible hours and great managers

Cons

Expect too much from older employees

LIsten to your hourly employees to guage the competence of your managers.

Great start

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great environment, start off higher than minimum wage

Cons

Working holidays, no say in schedule

Nice place for a second job

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Kind and understanding people working there

Cons

Not many hours or consistency but not horrible

You'' wait many of years to move up unless your kissing up to the head honchos!

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Comp. wages, decent discount and great ability to transfer to other locations or sister stores.

Cons

Long hours, management is inexperienced and not professional.

HR Department needs to stop telling confidential business of associates to managers and senior managers!