Bed Bath & Beyond Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
1044 reviews filtered by

Could be better.

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

The job is easy to learn, and management is willing to help.

Cons

Company doesn't have a clear path if you are looking for better opportunities.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes.

Very customer friendly place to work, must greet everyone you see, helps if you already have housewares knowledge.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like providing customer service, this is the place for you. There are not a lot of projects, there is filling and zoning, and the customer is always the main priority.

Cons

The product training is ok and could be much more in depth for what they are selling. They spend about 30 minutes at each section and then you are considered to an expert.

Advice to Management

I didn't really interact with upper management.

3. Good first job

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Flexibility, work life balance, discounts, culture, good management will help you out when you need it, some mangers should act as mangers and do there job

Cons

Overworked,under payed, pushing items to sell or get written up, could provide more perks for full time workers who have families

Advice to Management

Promations and job growth

5. Great environment, and people

Former Employee - Sales Floor in La Quinta, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor in La Quinta, CA

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome co workers(in my store), Discount was 10%, The customers are usually real down to earth, and nice. Very easy job as most retail jobs. They don't ask for to much just work, and listen, and be friendly to everyone. The managers were great to work with. I never knew about Bed Bath & Beyonds return policy until i worked there. Awesome return policy, if you don't know. You can basically return anything even if you don't have a receipt. If it stops working 5 years from now they will replace, or exchange it.

Cons

Not much. Advancement is basic. Assistant, manager, senior manager, and with enough experience, and schooling, store manager. Not a place i would set up, and make a career from. Something more for younger people like myself looking for some cash.

Advice to Management

Management was great, i couldn't give anymore advice that i am sure their district managers already give. My store had awesome managers.

Catch up with your competitors!

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great customer relations when you are scheduled enough hours to interact with them! Great co-workers!

Cons

False promises, avoid communicating about real issues, preach daily for what's good for the management to be praised by higher up but the little guy is forgotten. Scheduled hours too uncertain, if hired to work 30+ hours, schedule should stay at least the 30 hours! Most competitors have changed minimum start wage to $9/hr with $10 after 6 month training completion!

Advice to Management

Appreciate those that work hard for you, promote from within, and train managers to mentor positively with all employees, don't play favorites, If someone isn't the right fit for the job then retrain or relieve them, don't be scared to pay unemployment (most wouldn't file anyway, would just get another job, wouldn't be enough money to eat off of for a week!) Show appreciation more than just when corporate goals are met!

7. Your BBB experience will vary greatly from store to store.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Bridal Consultant in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/Bridal Consultant in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at two different BBB's throughout the last five years. I had an amazing experience at the first one which is why when I needed a job in a new city I applied to another BBB. The first one taught me how to be a great salesman, made me a great people person, and gave me a lot of confidence in myself as an employee. The store worked like a well oiled machine and though it did have some turnover because a lot of the employees were college students, it was obvious that the managers really cared about their jobs and took the time to get to know their sales associates. There is a yearly raise based on your review.

Cons

I learned at my second BBB that while the company morals are supposed to apply to all stores, this depends on the managers. It turns out that the managers make or break your experience working at a BBB.

Advice to Management

The new policy of only allowing part time workers to work a maximum of 25 hours a week is going to cost BBB a lot of good employees. Not hiring good workers to be full time employees simply to avoid having to dole out benefits is a terrible waste of the time and energy the company is already putting into training new employees. At this rate, BBB is hiring great employees and then training them to be great employees at the next place that will give their workers benefits and full time hours.

be prepared to be over worked and extremely under paid

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Great people to work with! managers are flexible with your work schedule.

Cons

Training is a joke. 5 min mini all over the store and your expected to be an expert. Customers return things from other stores and we still take the product back ( can be frustrating) no breaks in a 5.30 hour shift. A lot of work for very little pay and manager follow you around with a clip board to make sure you are "up- selling " you are expected to always up-sell even at registers or you get written up.

Advice to Management

A thank you would be nice. A great job would be much appreciated. Cutting your hours to 25 will cost you some really good people.

9. Must be a hard worker and very customer oriented. Hustle when you need to. Be prepared to put on many hats.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager - Merchandising in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager - Merchandising in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

An entrepreneurial atmosphere, good hands on training, fast paced, procedures have been well established, good opportunity for promotion and/ or advancement.

Cons

Backing of managers is somewhat lacking, the they should be, the customer is truly always right, even when they may not be.

Advice to Management

Follow corporate specs, be conservative in merchandising decisions, put in those few extra hours to stay current and on top of freight

Good entry level part-time job

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Learn a lot about different products throughout the store. Employee monthly incentives were very reasonably priced. Interesting to see the many couples that come in to register.

Cons

Front end employees are expected to clean around the store every night, including the public restrooms. Customers get feisty about their coupons which gets overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees and do not over work them, especially student employees. Consider adding more people to shifts so that work can be completed in time for closing.

Review

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Company has good customer service values. Usually a steady part-time job. Benefits come with working full-time.

Cons

Lots of work with little pay. Either you work really long hours or very short hours. During the holidays closing employees wont leave till 1:30-2am