Bed Bath & Beyond

Updated August 19, 2014

2.7

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares
Steve Temares

Pros
  • Great customer service policy which keeps great customer retention (in 98 reviews)

• Pay is good compared to other retailers (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • If you were to mention work/life balance while interviewing - you would never be hired (in 24 reviews)

• You must work long hours to really excel in your position (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

Total and utter chaos

Current Employee - Bridal Consultant
    Current Employee - Bridal Consultant

Pros

The job itself is actually not bad, you get to spend time with bridal couples who are preparing to get married and are building their gift registries, as well as help college students prepare for life in the dorm room. Plus, helping people pick out gifts for other people is a very rewarding task.

Cons

Oh dear, where do I start? Leadership is limited to select assistant store managers, and is completely absent from ops manager on upwards. New employee training is non-existent. My location is run extremely poorly, entire money-making departments neglected in favor of less profitable departments. How can you understaff a bridal department all throughout bridal season, when in other departments associates are tripping over each other? A recent management change pushed my location over the edge into complete chaos, a store manager whose inventory ordering patterns make no sense (ordering anything except the merchandise we need), an ops manager who spends their time wandering around the store making strange noises and weird comments over the walkies in front of customers, and a pattern of promoting people with proven track records of avoiding work and failure to senior positions. This location is hemorrhaging associates at an alarming rate, and no one in senior management seems to be worried about going into back to school with less than half the staff we had at the same time last year. No one at this location has faith in their leadership all the way through to the district and regional management, and it shows. Safety and theft issues are met with a shrugging of the shoulders. I could go on and on.

Come up with an actual plan of action to move the company forward, as opposed to maintaining a status quo, and communicate it to your associates. There are some very devoted people who work for this company, who would get on board with a concrete action plan, and are willing to go to bat for the company. It's up to corporate leadership to stop being secretive, and communicate with their ground troops. What is your plan for survival, when other big box retailers are going out of business? What is your plan to deal with the out-of-control shoplifting at ALL 1500+ locations throughout all concepts?

It Depends On You

Current Employee - Front End Lead
    Current Employee - Front End Lead

Pros

Flexibilty with Hours.
    Easy Job

Cons

They Put Customers Before Employees
    Long Hours
    Cant leave on time
    No advancement
    20¢ Pay Raise
    No Holiday Pay

Hire More Managers, and Give Holiday Pay

The Writing On The Wall Is Big & Bold!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burbank, CA

Pros

Reasonable hourly pay and better than most retail chains. Good perks. Flexible hours. Good people to work with for the most part and many nice people that shop there. Most managers there are very good.

Cons

Management plays with our pay way too much by always claiming there are not enough hours for the week but somehow find more people to hire while many of us suffer with 4 hour, 8 hour, 12 hour work weeks, We are spread so thinly that customers complain that they are not getting the help they need and rightly so! It is worse with the new Manager who transferred from another store very recently. She seems very determined to bring in all of her friends from her previous store and friends from other stores and replace us in our departments and work remedial positions. While trying to make us leave with the itty bitty shifts (it's obvious she wants us to leave so she can look good with all the new people she "hired") she rewards all of her friends/favorites with premium full shifts. Funny how they also get away with not showing up for their shifts, leaving before their scheduled time and coming in whenever they like. Zoning? They don't zone! Respond to calls whether on the overhead or on the walkie - good luck! But no problem - you're in like Flynn if you are one of her favorites! If you are not her friend or not hispanic then you will be treated like a third class citizen!

Support your staff and encourage the store manager to split the hours among everyone evenly and fairly before you wind up with a bunch of people who think they are invincible and all the good ones are pushed out lowering morale to an all time low.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok place for hourly work but only until something better comes around.

Former Employee - Store Representative  in  Lake Grove, NY
    Former Employee - Store Representative in Lake Grove, NY

Pros

Depending on the size store you work for management can be very friendly or very demanding. In my time with the company I worked at a C sized store and an A+ size store. At the C sized store my managers were very friendly and flexible as I was also a full time college student at the time.

Cons

At the A+ sized store time was money and I was frequently yelled at even though I had been busting my hum p the entire day. I was often kept extremely late every night of the week until the store looked perfect which was usually around 1am - 3am (even though I was scheduled until 11pm). Also if you are not comfortable on ladders this is not the job for you, you will be expected to climb up and down ladders as often as a roofer would.

Relax on your hourly workers, yes they are the bottom of the rung but they are also what keeps the store in good shape and if you expect top level customer service then you should give some time to provide it.

Get thrown to the wolves

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

Pros

I was able to refine my customer service and sales skills, though not through any kind of training I received.
    I learned a lot about merchandising and inventory procedures on an ultra corporate level. I gained many great customer service experiences. If you ever reach full time status, the benefits are nice.

Cons

Getting a substantial raise is almost nonexistent.
    I myself worked at two different locations and experienced two different work environments.

At my first location, favoritism and cronyism ran rampant. If you were not liked, they made you well aware of it. The general manager pushed ethical boundaries to the point where HR reversed his termination of some employees. This general manager was able to cut down a part timers' hours down to 12 or 15 hours a week in order to get them to quit. This particular general manager was able to make different rules for different people. For example, I was hired on as part time. After a year there, I asked for full time status and was told I needed to go through a certain process that none of the other past employees had to go through. When I brought this to HR's attention. they reluctantly made him back track on that. There was always at least 5 different supervisors/managers that you had to go through before any kind of decision could be made and HR was only interested in the benefit of the company, not your well being. Training consisted of throwing you to the wolves...its that simple. If you asked for help, it was an inconvenience to everybody you asked and management had a nasty habit of talking down to you with condescendence and indifference.

At my second location, management was easier to deal with and it was ok to ask for help. Unfortunately, the place was run by bitter part timers who were not being promoted to full time. Their negativity and laziness drove the atmosphere at this location. Management pretty much looked the other way. The consequence of this was our location was always messy and in sorry looking shape. Getting projects done was a hassle if you were not liked by the part time hourlies who did a lot of standing around and backstabbing. Being liked by management and full timers didn't really accomplish much here. Training consisted of throwing you to the wolves.

Spread some of the wealth. Your company makes millions upon millions every year. Don't be so greedy and reward your top performing hourlies. Tell your district managers to not micro-manage the GM and key holders. The district managers can stay in there little offices and the work will get done. Proper storage facilities are required to store large amounts of inventory. It doesn't take a college degree to realize this. Give your key holders some extra time off during the week. They get pretty grouchy when they have to work 55 hours a week and then they take it out on the hourlies and then the hourlies take it out on customers and then customers leave unhappy. Happy employees make happy customers.

Hard work for sales associate: little to no pay!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Southaven, MS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Southaven, MS

Pros

If you are an employee, you get 20% off any item in the store without having to wait for a coupon like the other
    customers. This would probably be great if you could afford a $350 comforter or $200 massager.

Cons

Hard work, no training for management positions, no commission and company values or policy is you must have management experience to be a manager. Promotions consist of getting a 20 cent raise per year. "Promote within" policy is strictly for department managers. No benefits package for part-time sales associates.

Develop training for sales associates who want full-time management positions.

cashier

Pros

management was nice. co-workers were friendly.

Cons

people have a lot of coupons to ring up.

don't get a job here

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  New Hyde Park, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in New Hyde Park, NY

Pros

if you wan tot be heard don't go here

Cons

If you want to be valued and respected don't get a job here

Cares about customers

Pros

Help customers meet their shopping needs

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with store level operations

Fast paced environment with a myriad of opportunities.

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer  in  Union, NJ
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Union, NJ

Pros

The networking is invaluable in itself when you work at Bed Bath. Job growth has no ceiling and they take care of their loyal employees. If you are lucky to have good management they are pro training and will take the time to help you advance. Numerous projects to give you experience within multiple different departments.

Cons

Infrastructure is poorly managed and staffed in key crucial areas. If you are up to wearing multiple hats you will succeed. If you just want to be a merchant this isnt the buying job for you. Depending on who your manager is you could fee like you work for the best or the absolute worst company. Company needs to get back to basics.

Stop hiring externally and take a good hard look at who you already have. Listen to your lower positions more about new processes that absolutely ridiculous, they are the ones who use them.

Worked for Bed Bath & Beyond? Contribute to the Community!