Bedding Experts

Tom Saylor
1 Rating

store manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bedding Experts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good pay if you are in a better volume store and get your commissions payed bi weekly and a decent monthly bonus

Cons

long hours with a lot of down time you are on your own and it gets a little boring though out the day

be more open and honest

Waste of time working for a nightmare of a company!

I worked at Bedding Experts

Pros

Good experience for someone with ambition and necessary resources for opening your own business, the stores are staffed by one person responsible for everything you could imagine to operate the business and while generating revenue from sales and referrals to earn your compensation.

Cons

Prior to 2010 company buy out the Bedding Experts was a fair company to work for!..
    And then after the new owners took over it went down hill fast, we were all lied to neumorus times regarding compensation benefits advancement opportunities etc. the worst experience I have had during a company reorganization!.. I would never recommend this employer to anyone.

I don't feel the current owners have compassion or integrity worthy of suggesting management advice.
    The egotistical greedy owners will get everything they have coming to them soon enough...

Earning potential, but at the cost of any social life

I have been working at Bedding Experts full-time

Pros

This is definitely a "make the most of your opportunity" job. You're able to get ahead as long as you can hang in there. Upward mobility is a possibility. Positioning yourself in the right store is paramount.

Cons

Owners are completely detached from what's happening from a sales perspective. You work 55 hours a week on average so you have little to no social life. Entirely commission based unless you take an hourly position which is barely above minimum wage. Performance plan is set up to make you fail in order to work more hours for the companies behalf. Unreasonable demands are put on the sales staff. The company makes money off putting you in bad positions.

Good Sales Job For Outgoing People Person

Former Employee - Bedding Sales in Bloomingdale, IL
    Former Employee - Bedding Sales in Bloomingdale, IL

I worked at Bedding Experts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Income Potential
    Good In-store Training
    Good if you like working alone and not being micro-managed
    Hourly or Commission Only Opportunities

Cons

Long Hours - 12 Hour Days

Not much walk in traffic during the week, so the days tend to be kinda boring at times

During my interview I was told I would go through 4-6 weeks of training and then get my own store... which is not exactly correct, as you have to be a "floater" / work at various stores for several months before you get your own store. I was also told during my interview that I would start at $10 per hour + 2% commission on gross sales, but it turned out being just the hourly with no commission. I started right before labor day weekend and made 17 sales during that weekend, so I was ticked when I found out my paycheck was going to be alot smaller then I envisioned. :-(

More honesty during the interview process is needed, as I liked the job, but I couldn't "float" from store to store, as I share a car with someone else. That's the reason I quit the job, which stinks because I know I could have been very successful in this job.

Also the sales software is very complicated and hard to learn... could use a tutorial that doesn't require an actual sale in order to learn the various entries and processes.

Bedding Experts was great company to work for. Flexiable, great benifits,

I worked at Bedding Experts

Pros

Great benfits at Beeding Experts

Cons

Not alot of rooom for growth and management, not the best mentors.

Not Recommended. There are more jobs out there!!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bedding Experts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of free time, given selling power to make any deal, not much real work to do just wait for the next customer.

Cons

Very hard to make commission, seems like owners price ad beds to lower chances, district managers are not helpful, make you drive to pointless meetings once a month.

Get real district managers that actual do their job.

Good

I have been working at Bedding Experts

Pros

The job is very easy and there is a lot of down time for you to do your homework or finish your college degree

Cons

You might get 1 or 2 costumers a day and you better sell them something, otherwise you are not going to get any commissions.

none

New Owners Destroyed Company

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bedding Experts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Honestly, after the new owners, I can't think of any pros. We used to have a nice time, we worked hard, but still had fun. They sucked the life out of it.

Cons

Hours, complete disregard to family life and scheduling agreements, fight for your commissions, constant pay changes, lack of stock, lack of upper management help, complete sexual discrimination, and families with children.

Sell to people who care about their workers.

65 Store small business working environment with upward growth potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I have been working at Bedding Experts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bedding Experts is a financially stable mattress retailer that has functioned in the greater Chicago marketplace since 1983. Business is expanding greatly at this point. New stores are now opening across Chicago-land after a change in ownership, management, and the closing of some area stores in 2010-2011.

Bedding Experts has more than 60 store locations. It has a small business, relaxed atmosphere versus a corporate environment. For most employees there is good growth potential for income and the business has lots of growth potential. For salesmen, there is a great commission plan in place.

The Bedding Experts is an iconic business for mattresses in the Chicago market. It's jingle and slogan, "Where Dreams Come True!" is widely known by Chicago area residents. Since 1983, The Bedding Experts has sold more mattresses that any retailer in the Chicago area.

Cons

Hours for salespeople can be long. Sitting in a store for long hours can also be boring, especially because you're normally by yourself.

There needs to be a more organized communication structure for business planning and development.

Sometimes upper management is not sensitive to employee morale and communication is sometimes not great between upper management, department managers, and other employees

Camaraderie among employees can be improved.

Have cross-department meetings. Setup regular, organized breakout meetings to address specific training, development, and planning issues. Spend more time with department managers.

long hours

Former Employee - Store Manager in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Bedding Experts

Pros

Is run like your a business owner

Cons

long hours, and not much work life balance

to structured to be competitive