Bedding Experts

Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Tom Saylor

Good Sales Job For Outgoing People Person

Bedding Sales (Former Employee)
    Bloomingdale, IL

ProsGood Income Potential
    Good In-store Training
    Good if you like working alone and not being micro-managed
    Hourly or Commission Only Opportunities

ConsLong Hours - 12 Hour Days

Not much walk in traffic during the week, so the days tend to be kinda boring at times

During my interview I was told I would go through 4-6 weeks of training and then get my own store... which is not exactly correct, as you have to be a "floater" / work at various stores for several months before you get your own store. I was also told during my interview that I would start at $10 per hour + 2% commission on gross sales, but it turned out being just the hourly with no commission. I started right before labor day weekend and made 17 sales during that weekend, so I was ticked when I found out my paycheck was going to be alot smaller then I envisioned. :-(

Advice to Senior ManagementMore honesty during the interview process is needed, as I liked the job, but I couldn't "float" from store to store, as I share a car with someone else. That's the reason I quit the job, which stinks because I know I could have been very successful in this job.

Also the sales software is very complicated and hard to learn... could use a tutorial that doesn't require an actual sale in order to learn the various entries and processes.

Earning potential, but at the cost of any social life

ProsThis is definitely a "make the most of your opportunity" job. You're able to get ahead as long as you can hang in there. Upward mobility is a possibility. Positioning yourself in the right store is paramount.

ConsOwners are completely detached from what's happening from a sales perspective. You work 55 hours a week on average so you have little to no social life. Entirely commission based unless you take an hourly position which is barely above minimum wage. Performance plan is set up to make you fail in order to work more hours for the companies behalf. Unreasonable demands are put on the sales staff. The company makes money off putting you in bad positions.

Bedding Experts was great company to work for. Flexiable, great benifits,

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benfits at Beeding Experts

ConsNot alot of rooom for growth and management, not the best mentors.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Recommended. There are more jobs out there!!

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsLots of free time, given selling power to make any deal, not much real work to do just wait for the next customer.

ConsVery hard to make commission, seems like owners price ad beds to lower chances, district managers are not helpful, make you drive to pointless meetings once a month.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real district managers that actual do their job.

New Owners Destroyed Company

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsHonestly, after the new owners, I can't think of any pros. We used to have a nice time, we worked hard, but still had fun. They sucked the life out of it.

ConsHours, complete disregard to family life and scheduling agreements, fight for your commissions, constant pay changes, lack of stock, lack of upper management help, complete sexual discrimination, and families with children.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell to people who care about their workers.

Good

ProsThe job is very easy and there is a lot of down time for you to do your homework or finish your college degree

ConsYou might get 1 or 2 costumers a day and you better sell them something, otherwise you are not going to get any commissions.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

65 Store small business working environment with upward growth potential

Itasca, IL

ProsBedding Experts is a financially stable mattress retailer that has functioned in the greater Chicago marketplace since 1983. Business is expanding greatly at this point. New stores are now opening across Chicago-land after a change in ownership, management, and the closing of some area stores in 2010-2011.

Bedding Experts has more than 60 store locations. It has a small business, relaxed atmosphere versus a corporate environment. For most employees there is good growth potential for income and the business has lots of growth potential. For salesmen, there is a great commission plan in place.

The Bedding Experts is an iconic business for mattresses in the Chicago market. It's jingle and slogan, "Where Dreams Come True!" is widely known by Chicago area residents. Since 1983, The Bedding Experts has sold more mattresses that any retailer in the Chicago area.

ConsHours for salespeople can be long. Sitting in a store for long hours can also be boring, especially because you're normally by yourself.

There needs to be a more organized communication structure for business planning and development.

Sometimes upper management is not sensitive to employee morale and communication is sometimes not great between upper management, department managers, and other employees

Camaraderie among employees can be improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave cross-department meetings. Setup regular, organized breakout meetings to address specific training, development, and planning issues. Spend more time with department managers.

long hours

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Elmhurst, IL

ProsIs run like your a business owner

Conslong hours, and not much work life balance

Advice to Senior Managementto structured to be competitive

Under new ownership/upper mgmt. Many changes, poor communication

Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsNew ownership (fall '10) very business oriented; many changes happening to eventually make more money for the company and salespeople. New merchandise, new computer system, new atmosphere. Potential to make very good money will be high.

ConsCommunication through transition horrific. Regional managers can't reach the (new) upper management, and store managers are completely in the dark. Mystical manner of pulling managers from stores regardless of production and making budgets. 6 months after takeover, employees still on pins and needles, not knowing if/when they'll be the next to be pulled from a store or fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on communication. Most of the employees would be happy to follow the direction the company is being steered if that direction was either made clear, or if they could get answers to questions when they need clarification. It's simply demoralizing to be docked pay for not following a direction that was never made clear in the first place.

Worked for Bedding Experts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bedding Experts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bedding Experts CEO Tom Saylor. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Bedding Experts employees.