Bedford/St. Martin's Reviews

Reset
3.9
Annette Thomas
1 Rating

1. Flat organization, people who really care about their work and fostering new careers

Former Employee - Media Editor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Media Editor in Boston, MA

I worked at Bedford/St. Martin's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people are the best reasons to work here. From early on, I was able to participate in meetings with the president and they welcomed my input.

Cons

You don't work in publishing for the money. Also, the transition to digital is taking its toll in terms of chaos and reorgs, but that also opens up lots of opportunities.

2. Former Glories

I worked at Bedford/St. Martin's

Pros

Some wonderful people dedicated to education and bookmaking.

Cons

Awful (I mean, abysmal) management.

Advice to Management

Your talents would be better used cooking up the fries at McDonald's.

Great people but global reorganization is taking a heavy toll

Current Employee - Development Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Development Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Bedford/St. Martin's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The editorial group is full of lively, smart people--a wonderful group of colleagues. Benefits are good. Many authors are dedicated and talented people who care deeply about improving students' lives. Working with them can be inspiring. There's room for creative thinking.

Cons

The current insistence that all goals be "data-driven" is maddening. Citing imaginary (or irrelevant) numbers doesn't actually prove anything in today's topsy-turvy textbook market. The company has been adding layers upon layers of upper management schooled in biz-jargon but not in U.S. college publishing. Many good people have been driven away, and more will probably go.

Advice to Management

Stop adding so many upper management types and instead pay attention to the frustration and stress building up in the editorial ranks where the company's strengths traditionally lie. Give people resources to accomplish what needs to be done.

5. Supportive environment but academic publishing can get a little dry.

Former Employee - Associate Editor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Editor in Boston, MA

I worked at Bedford/St. Martin's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the female-dominated workplace - lots of (mostly) women in executive positions, as well as the guidance I received from my superiors. I was promoted quickly, which was partially due to happenstance. A great place to start work with an English degree, or right out of college.

Cons

Academic book publishing is not at all glamorous. You work with academics, not writers by trade. You will often spend more time cutting-and-pasting than you will line-editing or thinking of the big picture ideas. Ancillaries and creating supplemental materials for teachers has seemingly consumed every department.

Advice to Management

Great job with the mentorship style of management. If anything, trust your younger hires to experiment with social media and newer techniques of academic support/publishing.

Great Place to Start, Hard to Advance

Former Employee - Editorial Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Bedford/St. Martin's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In the right department, personalities really shine through and you can build a sense of family and pride in your work. Time off was always comparatively high and even EAs had a little flexibility.

Cons

Very slow to advance and salaries are very low--even for the area. After quite some time with the company, I couldn't bear to stay and just do grunt work until someone left.

Advice to Management

Prepare EAs for long stints in the trenches, but give them better indication of how long it will take to get promoted.

Professional and ethical, great people to work with.

Former Employee - Senior Development Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Development Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Bedford/St. Martin's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is room for independent, creative thinking at Bedford, and the company itself is always trying to innovate which can help to keep your skills up to date in what is a fast-changing industry these days. People are smart and caring and have great taste in music and books, plus lots to teach about how to deal with the problems that always come up in a business with customers. I worked there a long time; after a few years the office felt as much like home to me as my own home!

Cons

Sometimes the group-process approach to projects could lead editors into a quagmire of opinions and counter-opinions, slowing down the projects themselves. At other times, we (in the New York office at least) felt so isolated from the power-center in Boston that we weren't sure about current developments within the company, or would find out about them when an email went out about an issue Boston was having with something we'd never heard of. Although I worked in an office, I often felt quite isolated from my peers. (I would make a point of asking for their input on issues but understanding that everyone was very busy.)

8. Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Bedford/St. Martin's

Pros

The workplace is full of smart, hardworking employees.

Cons

Hires overqualified people and underpays them.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what they're worth and they'll stay with the company.

9. More like a family than your usual corporate workplace, for better and for worse.

I worked at Bedford/St. Martin's

Pros

longtime employees sense of community flexible schedules inc. summer hours casual office book discounts industry respected

Cons

clique-y workplace difficult to implement changes scattered deadlines low starting salaries

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of stepping on higher-ups' toes to initiate necessary changes to outdated processes.

10. A great working environment with limited potential for advancement beyond title changes.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bedford/St. Martin's

Pros

Smart, friendly colleagues. Education industry.

Cons

Limited potential for advancement. Publishing industry salaries are low.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities for real professional growth beyond title changes.

Disorganized chaos

Former Employee - Production Assistant
    Former Employee - Production Assistant

I worked at Bedford/St. Martin's

Pros

Health insurance, benefits and that's about it.

Cons

Embarrassing salary, disorganized scheduling, very behind the times with systems, uppity and snooty co-workers, uncomfortable environment.

Advice to Management

Get with the times folks. It's 2011. Bring your scheduling system(s) up to date. Boring and dull.

RSS Feed </> Embed