Bedford/St. Martin's

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Annette Thomas

Flat organization, people who really care about their work and fostering new careers

Media Editor (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe people are the best reasons to work here. From early on, I was able to participate in meetings with the president and they welcomed my input.

ConsYou don't work in publishing for the money. Also, the transition to digital is taking its toll in terms of chaos and reorgs, but that also opens up lots of opportunities.

Supportive environment but academic publishing can get a little dry.

Associate Editor (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLoved the female-dominated workplace - lots of (mostly) women in executive positions, as well as the guidance I received from my superiors. I was promoted quickly, which was partially due to happenstance. A great place to start work with an English degree, or right out of college.

ConsAcademic book publishing is not at all glamorous. You work with academics, not writers by trade. You will often spend more time cutting-and-pasting than you will line-editing or thinking of the big picture ideas. Ancillaries and creating supplemental materials for teachers has seemingly consumed every department.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job with the mentorship style of management. If anything, trust your younger hires to experiment with social media and newer techniques of academic support/publishing.

Great Place to Start, Hard to Advance

Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIn the right department, personalities really shine through and you can build a sense of family and pride in your work. Time off was always comparatively high and even EAs had a little flexibility.

ConsVery slow to advance and salaries are very low--even for the area. After quite some time with the company, I couldn't bear to stay and just do grunt work until someone left.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrepare EAs for long stints in the trenches, but give them better indication of how long it will take to get promoted.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional and ethical, great people to work with.

Senior Development Editor (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere is room for independent, creative thinking at Bedford, and the company itself is always trying to innovate which can help to keep your skills up to date in what is a fast-changing industry these days. People are smart and caring and have great taste in music and books, plus lots to teach about how to deal with the problems that always come up in a business with customers. I worked there a long time; after a few years the office felt as much like home to me as my own home!

ConsSometimes the group-process approach to projects could lead editors into a quagmire of opinions and counter-opinions, slowing down the projects themselves. At other times, we (in the New York office at least) felt so isolated from the power-center in Boston that we weren't sure about current developments within the company, or would find out about them when an email went out about an issue Boston was having with something we'd never heard of. Although I worked in an office, I often felt quite isolated from my peers. (I would make a point of asking for their input on issues but understanding that everyone was very busy.)

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe workplace is full of smart, hardworking employees.

ConsHires overqualified people and underpays them.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they're worth and they'll stay with the company.

More like a family than your usual corporate workplace, for better and for worse.

Editorial Assistant (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Proslongtime employees
    sense of community
    flexible schedules inc. summer hours
    casual office
    book discounts
    industry respected

Consclique-y workplace
    difficult to implement changes
    scattered deadlines
    low starting salaries

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid of stepping on higher-ups' toes to initiate necessary changes to outdated processes.

A great working environment with limited potential for advancement beyond title changes.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSmart, friendly colleagues. Education industry.

ConsLimited potential for advancement. Publishing industry salaries are low.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for real professional growth beyond title changes.

Disorganized chaos

Production Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsHealth insurance, benefits and that's about it.

ConsEmbarrassing salary, disorganized scheduling, very behind the times with systems, uppity and snooty co-workers, uncomfortable environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times folks. It's 2011. Bring your scheduling system(s) up to date. Boring and dull.

An enjoyable experience

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsLearn the ins and outs of the book world. A good working environment with knowledgeable and caring people. Would recommend.

ConsCommunication is key and sometimes there was a lot of miscommunication or sometimes lack there of that often set schedules back.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for Bedford/St. Martin's? Contribute to the Community!