Behringer

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Uli Behringer

I bought the ticket, I took the ride.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWith only a couple exceptions, everyone in the Bothell office was great too work with. PTO and Benefits package were generous.

ConsPay was well below average, I made about $15k a year less than the median salary for my position. Location was also terrible--I had to commute out to office-park hell in the middle of nowhere.

A lot has been said about the CEO and Senior Management. Most of it is on the mark. It is a company that is perpetually in transition. Most plans and strategies aren't given a fair chance to play out before Senior Management is urged to change the direction, usually at the prodding of CEO. It's a scatterbrained, chaotic approach--one that hasn't paid off considering the turnover, low morale, and the rumored closure of more than one office.

Terms like "Knee-jerk" and "anal-retentive" are in no way an exaggeration and are fairly generous compared to what get thrown around in the office when nobody was listening.

People who show initiative get canned the fastest, due to non-conformity with Uli's "vision." Best to keep your head down and quietly get your work done--or as much as you can considering molasses-slow approvals and critical systems (phone, email, etc) being down more often than not.

I think the team could have gotten a lot done and made the company a boatload of money had Uli, et al stayed out of the way and let us actually do our work.

Quite often I expected the lights to be turned off and the locks changed when I showed up on Monday morning.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, Uli... It's time to sell the company.

Your vision for the company is so rigid that you will never find people who match up with your ideas unless you're willing to compromise. As long as you keep your iron grip tight, what happened in the Bothell and UK offices will keep repeating over and over again.

You say you micro-manage because nobody gets the work done right. Nobody will ever get the work done to your standard of "right" until you clone yourself Multiplicity-style.

In the short term, if you want to improve employee morale: treat your employees better.
    Want to solve the turnover problem? Stop %#€£ing firing everybody.

Since that is unlikely to happen, though: Cash in while you can, while there is still a business to sell. With all that extra time you'll finally be able to catch up on your sleep, and there will be plenty of time to play jazz piano.

This place is like a penny....worthless and two-faced!

over it (Former Employee)

ProsThe employees are pretty cool and very hard working. Most are musicians and have a passion for music.

ConsThis place can be classified as a chaotic hell, and the CEO loves the smell of fear and rotting employee corpses. All the negative things that you read on the forums, internet, and on glassdoor are true. It doesn't matter who you are, how amazing you are, or your skill set. You will be set up to fail and become another number. Heed all the warnings and just look for a job elsewhere. Also, the pay is way below average and they might mention the possibility for a raise etc, but I guarantee it will never happen, even if you receive a promotion all you will receive is an "Uli Buck", which can be redeemed for company swag....don't ask, anyways this place is bad! Just run!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're all ruining your reputations in the industry....when you become regular gossip and the laughing stock of the music industry, you should realize that you are in deep. Cut your losses and run too......

The worst mistake of my life.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally awesome co-workers. The people who work there are great. For the most part. Watch for spies.

ConsUli Behringer is a sociopath, plain and simple. Seriously, you can't imagine how awful it is to work with this nutcase. Rapid turnover. You might have a job and get fired for no reason weeks later. It happens A LOT.

Advice to Senior ManagementUli, go stick your head in a blender you psycho.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Products, Not-so-good Employer

Senior/Global Position (Former Employee)
    Bothell, WA

ProsGood products for the price point. Plenty of opportunities for battlefield promotions. Sharpens your firefighting skills.

ConsParanoia and distrust are rampant, CEO is also the owner, Chairman, Head of R&D, and ridiculously involved in the day-to-day minutia. You've seen the term "knee-jerk reaction" in about a dozen of these reviews, and that is 100% correct. Those decisions led to customer dissatisfaction and lost good will from dealers and distributors. And those fires had to be fought (constantly) by people who were invariably sacrificed to protect the guy who set the fhem. That's what happens when you are accountable to nobody.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe accountable for the impact of those knee-jerk and otherwise irrational decisions, and change the process to prevent further damage.

Plenty of other opportunities in Seattle

Bothell, WA

Pros- Everyone is in the same boat
    - Decent local team atmosphere

Cons- Micromanaged at all levels (Culture pushed by C-level execs)
    - All tasks are monitored at all levels
    - Managers are questioned regularly about their team member's value-add ("why do we even have this person?")
    - Unclear corporate direction
    - Employees forcibly silo'd into roles
    - Processes create dysfunctional environment
    - Pay is below average
    - Stress is extremely high across organization
    - Minimal communication
    - No cross-organizational synchronization
    - Cheap is better than good
    - Fast is better than good
    - Employees are personally blamed for failures of global process or unclear direction from execs
    - Dis-jointed groups that work against each other
    - Focus is on completing tasks, not improving company
    - Unethical management practices both internally and with business partners
    - No Stock
    - No Bonus

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture
    Hire a business oriented CEO
    Focus on quality of employees, and not quantity

Run For The Hills

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost of the employees are very pleasant to work with, but upper management is insane

ConsSalary, Upper Management, Policies, Big Brother Approach, Lack of training on systems, Lack of Communication, Poor Planning, No Bonus Plan, Inability to take a lunch or even go to the restroom without being micromanaged. Maybe the company should implement a hall pass policy so we can eat and go to the restroom in peace! This place was by far the worst place I have ever worked in my entire life!!!!!!! If you see an ad to hire, run for the hills...............You don't want to be sucked into this vortex. You're liable to suffer both physically and mentally if you stay too long. Toxic environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart Over and hire people that have integrity. The lie, cheat, steal mentality is not a good business model for long term success. You have too many of these types in the organization.

Leadership and HR Management Challenged

Senior Manager Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsVery Good Products.

Understand Financially Sound.

High level of passion of many employees who are pleased to have the opportunity to work in an industry that is aligned with their love of music.

ConsTask driven, micromanaging Management Team driven by beliefs and management style of CEO.

CEO, Uli Behringer, sets the tone with extreme micromanagement; task driven and very impatient; poor establishment of expectations and requirements with minimal directional communication; and conflicting behavior whereby praises an employee publicly and then employee released. Senior Management driven to similar management style (actually in our office their seems to be little respect for the individual with unprofessional behavior - swearing at employees should not be tolerated!)

Very high level of change with zero communication on why and general direction of the company.

Culture of fear. CEO visits then question is who will be gone. Everyone in very high panic.

Very poor HR processes - poor appraisal system whereby many employees have had no performance reviews for years; unfair salary management with nil increases over years whereas company does well financially; no knowledge of how to attain promotions; no career planning; and little communication from senior management or direct manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO would be better off to work through management team rather than getting directly involved. The company has invested in increasing the breath and depth of the senior management team over the past year. Take advantage of this and maximize their use.

Attain leadership training for senior management. As senior managers improve their leadership capabilities their subordinate managers will improve and the company culture will improve.

Focus on putting in place a HR infrastructure. Recently I was pleased to see that company is undertaking a employee opinion survey and hopefully this will be the impetus of positive change.

Frustrating

Happier Now (Former Employee)
    Bothell, WA

ProsThe people I worked with are great people who made it a friendly place to work. The common love of music also made it fun, with jam sessions breaking out from time to time, and the occasional potluck or dart contest helping to take our minds off the negative aspects of the culture for awhile. They do know how to party.

ConsAnal retentive micromanaging by the CEO and in turn the rest of upper management. While I believe that most employees enjoy the actual work they are doing, there is a repressive atmosphere of fear, wondering who will have 'disappeared' the next time they come in the office. There was a period where it was nearly a daily occurrence. Many people who were suddenly gone had just gotten very public praise for the great job they had done (new web site, CEO praised the person in charge in person during a 'town meeting'...the guy was gone within days), like Uli felt threatened by competence. Many people got let go while traveling overseas...I always told people to make sure they had a round-trip ticket.

The CEO doesn't seem to tolerate anyone who has the ability to think for themselves and challenge his ideas...just wants yes-men around him.

Ridiculous e-mail policies and Sharepoint file naming protocols, with Uli personally monitoring and contacting a manager if anyone in their group misplaced an underline. I described these policies while taking a project management class, and the instructor was shocked, saying he'd never heard of such a thing. For a time we had in-office instant messaging which helped get around the oppressive e-mail rules and get quick answers and resolutions to questions. Of course when the powers that be found out we had it, it was abolished because they were unable to monitor what was said. Certainly can't have an efficient way of communicating if 'they' don't know what you're saying.

In the time I worked there I was rarely busy, and as many functions got shipped overseas had even less to do. Although requested many times, additional work never materialized. However, temps were brought in regularly to help out in one department or another.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit micromanaging, trust that the people you hire are capable of doing the jobs they're hired for. If you don't trust them, it doesn't say much for your skill in choosing people. Communicate with people in an open and honest manner. They're intelligent enough to understand what's going on and what needs to be done. Quit discouraging people from doing the best job they can by firing them the week after they've completed a project successfully...they aren't a threat, they're an asset to the company.

Do away with inane policies with e-mail and other types of communication, bring back the office IM system for more efficient communication within the office, and do away with the key monitoring system to track everyone's comings and goings.

Tons of potential, amazing talent, great market position, but poor execution.

(Former Employee)
    Bothell, WA

ProsGreat people. They have managed to hire some amazing people past and present, they are largely the best part of this job. It is a very music oriented culture, every person there loves music and that shows in how the work wants to be done. Many of them arrive driven, ambitious, motivated and work very very hard to push Behringer into the front of the line.

ConsEmail and IM policies are pretty terrible. Its all based around the groups, and we are forced to adhere to this feudal style organization style, groups are kept out of communication from other groups except by way of the managers of said groups. We were not allowed to ever send emails directly to any employee, nor can we have attachments, ever. We were ordered to send emails to our direct manager, he would read them and build a new email which would be sent to another manager, whom would then read that email and send a new one to the originally intended recipient. Needless to say this basically made efficient communication impossible. Furthermore, it added sometimes days to the communication process, when this is supposed to be a day and age of instant communication. Many times emails sent from one party to another were actually secretly monitored by another employee, sent up to the management, and warnings and threats were issued. Not only is the policy completely insane but they have setup a whole department in an effort to keep the workers from breaking it.

The processes for acquiring tools and such were so bad, it was easier just to bring our own. Often it took 4+ months for equipment or software to be purchased, and thats after approval, simply because of the processes in place. The above email policy makes it very easy for an email to be "sat on" for a few days or weeks before it moves to the next step.

At one point the management added a door key system, they told us it was for security and that they weren't keeping track of our time. But a manager at the time accidentally let slip that there was a database of comings and goings and that they reviewed them. Woops! If I recall, it didn't allow you to enter the building, you still needed keys for that, but it was required to exit the building. Thus clearly not a typical card access system, but something used solely to track us.

Advice to Senior ManagementUli. You have an amazing office with amazing people. But you are being far too controlling with it, at least for an american culture. There are two things the Bothell office is it is, and two things it isn't.

It IS a wonderful collective of passionate musicians, and talented people who care about the products and the business. This is a rare thing and should be encouraged, i have never in my days seen so many people in one office that share a common thread like that.

It IS a place where you can get the most amazing and creative work, more so than any of your other offices. We worked hard and fast and got amazing stuff done in amazing time frames, no other part of the company seemed to be doing that. It was supposed to be encouraging, but instead it got smushed.

It ISNT a factory. Please stop sharing factory policies and processes with an american office in the seattle area. Its not consistent with the kind of talent you have, and the type of work they do. It greatly contributes to the nearly 100% turnover rate in that office.

It ISNT full of people who want to rob you and steal everything, try to trust us. When people are treated this way, they feel very disrespected and lose ambition and interest in their job. We just want to work, do work, and do great work. We dont want to worry about anything else.

ultra turnover 2000

Bothell, WA

ProsYou will be surrounded by smart talented people who deserve better. at behringer the co workers are great and the workplace policies are not.Beer fridays were cool back before they were cancelled

ConsNot having a computer on the 1st day you arrive, watching people lose their jobs over nothing, getting micro managed from over seas, sharing hotel room at the trade show,ugly carpet,confusing e mail policy, file access problems,slow internet, no more beer fridays

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust people to do their jobs

Worked for Behringer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Behringer reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Behringer CEO Uli Behringer. All 20 reviews posted anonymously by Behringer employees.