Belcan Corporation

Belcan Corporation Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2014

Belcan Corporation CEO Michael E. McCaw

Michael E. McCaw

Pros:
  • "Belcan has a great flex time policy"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The work environment was great - laid back and not too stressful"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "upper management lacks any integrity and only care about the bottom line- Profits"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Not a modern management approach and poor business model"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Disappointing

Lead Engineer (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC

I worked at Belcan Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible Schedule, Salary, 401K, Vacation

ConsLack of experienced managers, Inadequate training, Disrespectful to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementBelcan's business plan should not be "people peddlers" (as one vice-president has said). Your employees are your product. You make money of their experience and service. Look out for your employees first and customers second. There are plenty of customers, but not a lot of quality engineers like the ones that I worked with.

Direct Employee. Lately have not been to impressed with decisions but have had good times.

I have been working at Belcan Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVacation
PTO
Yearly profit checks
Friendly people
* There are three divisions and many different ways employees can be set up.

ConsLack of support
Rude managers
Other people lack of experience

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to what your founder instilled in the company. Being cheaper isn't always better. Invest more into your employees outside the bubble of corp.

Very Good

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Belcan Corporation full-time

ProsWeekley Pay - Good Humann Resources

ConsNo vacation, No 401K, minimal insurance and other benefits even afetr a year

Advice to Senior ManagementVacation 2 x a year and more benefits after 6 months

No benefits and no vacation time off.

Safety Manager (Current Employee)
Woodland, CA

I have been working at Belcan Corporation as a contractor for more than a year

Prosthey pay on time and do not visit the job.

Consthey do not visit the job and do not call you to see how the job is progressing.

not a good one

Product Assembler (Current Employee)
Sanford, NC

I have been working at Belcan Corporation as a contractor for more than a year

Prosat first you are treated good then as time goes on they dont have time for you

Consmakes promises and don't follow thru such as bonus and all paid Holiday sometimes you get it sometimes you dont make you feel you will get hired at a job work hard and it never happens and if there is a problem they ask other people and bring people in it that dont know whats going to and to much gossip

Advice to Senior Managementmake things more clear and hire more office people on job sites that are belcan reps so the ones there are not over worked and they dont take it out on employees they make us think they dont think have time for us and take stuff the wrong way and some people are treated better than and if you say something if makes you think you will be fired for speaking up stuff happend a few months ago and it makes you worry that if you say something or speak up then you are the trouble maker and its not fair

A good job shop to work.

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Belcan Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

ProsKnew what they were doing with payroll, direct deposit and 401K

ConsThe contract was too short. Would have liked a 12 month contract job with them in Phoenix

Good for recent college grads; bad for experienced professionals

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Belcan Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros* Flexible schedules: Once you've been around for a few months, you can pretty much set your own schedule as long as your customer is satisfied.

* Paid overtime for full-time (direct) employees: Working overtime somewhat makes up for the low salaries. There's usually enough projects running that you can work as much (or as little) overtime as you want.

* Middle management is actually technically competent: While there is a lot of promotion from within, there is no fast track to management, so the bad managerial candidates tend to get weeded out.

Cons* Salaries well below national average: This is an outsourcing company. Other companies hire them because they are cheap.

* Lots of mind-numbing work; challenging projects are few and far between: Don't expect to learn much if you're an experienced professional. Recent college graduates will learn a lot at first but should move on after 3 years.

* Very few exceptional engineers; lots of mediocre performers: If you like a laid-back atmosphere where you can talk about non-work-related topics for a few hours each day, this is the place for you. Be prepared to work with a lot of geriatric engineers who can never seem to change their passwords successfully.

* Stone age technology: Sharpen your Windows XP, IE6, and Office 2003 skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's not much to suggest. Belcan is the way it is because that's what its customers want. As long as the customers have somewhere to farm out low complexity work, Belcan will continue to hire mediocre engineers, and pay low salaries.

Lacking Aspirations

Mechanical Design Engineer (Former Employee)
Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Belcan Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsLaid back atmosphere. Some good managers there so there is hope of working for someone good. The people made the company worth working at.

ConsAs a contract engineering firm, the type of work Belcan receives is rather unexciting and not particularly challenging. Pay is also significantly below the national average for entry level mechanical engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn order to attract more talented engineers and retain them increase salaries and benefits offered.

It's a pretty good place to work.

I have been working at Belcan Corporation full-time

ProsThere is opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects for different customers.
Good training of new employees on customer systems

ConsThe amount of contract work for customers varies widely with economic times.
There is a risk for layoffs when customers are doing poorly

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate to employees ways to migrate within business units in the company

Contracting agencies in Peoria

Contract Engineer for Caterpillar Inc (Former Employee)
Peoria, IL

I worked at Belcan Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsPaid vacation, Good HR, Decent Salary, Sponsors Visa

ConsCharges Visa attorney fee, Not proactive in looking for projects, No support during layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to be supportive of employees during layoffs

Worked for Belcan Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Belcan Corporation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Belcan Corporation CEO Michael E. McCaw. All 57 reviews posted anonymously by Belcan Corporation employees.