Belden Reviews

Reset
2.8
Belden President, CEO, and Director John S. Stroup
John S. Stroup

Pros
  • Good products lots of spec position but losing that fast (in 4 reviews)

• Interesting products and good brand name in the industrial & broadcasting markets (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure is unbearable and there is zero regard for work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• When good people leave because of outsourcing, you never get them back again (in 3 reviews)

1. Belden

I have been working at Belden

Pros

Very friendly co-workers, seems to be high opportunity for advancement, everyone is willing to help with any issues I have, company is large and still growing, the internship program is very organized

Cons

I have yet to experience any cons

Sr Mgmt Have Very Low Respect for their Human Resources and their Customers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Belden full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Those working in non-management positions are usually very helpful and want to do the best for their customers
    - Good benefits and pay structure
    - Good training ground for understanding and utilizing LEAN

Cons

- Very few development opportunities and low level of coaching
    - Churn and burn environment where Sr Managers are more interested in meeting LEAN metrics and covering their rears than actually doing the right things for customers
    - To quick to eliminate costs by terminate employees under the cover of "restructuring"
    - Sr Management make decisions in a vacuum and spend too little time talking to end customers and their staff that are dealing with end customers
    - Very few Sr Managers with industry background and connections

Advice to Management

Spend more time with end customers and less time relying on distributors and industry reports to understand how to solve quality problems and build better solutions to fit the market.

3. Deep dark hole

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Belden

Pros

Pay was good. Industry leader, favorite label of distribution(most years)

Cons

Uncommunicative, out of touch managers. No real idea of what is happening at street level. Underhanded corporate minions that spread untruths. Growth by acquisition, with little internal product development or integration strategy. A whiff of corporate induced layoff fears for acquired companies. Truly a dark place to work, every bad element of big company culture lives here. Talk to people on the inside before spending anytime working here or for any of the acquisiion companies.

Advice to Management

Nothing really, keep doing things the way you always have.

5. Great Company

I have been working at Belden

Pros

Great company. Results oriented pay for performance company. Exciting to see the growth and the career opportunities.

Cons

Not for everyone. If you don't want to work hard and get results, don't work at Belden.

Very poor organization

I worked at Belden

Pros

Difficult to say as there is no road map

Cons

No future, most people are very into themselves and non cooperative.

Advice to Management

N/A

Grossly mismanaged.

Former Employee - Regional Director in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Director in Houston, TX

I worked at Belden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Belden still has a good name. Corporate structures and processes. Opportunity to learn. Pay reasonably well. Smart people at the factory.

Cons

CEO puts himself before customers and employees. No stability in leadership. Strategy and Initiatives change constantly. No sense of direction.

Advice to Management

Take some time out and get to understand your company.

Worst Career Opportunity Ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO

I worked at Belden full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Long hours and some great people. Exposure to a variety of acquisition analysis, sales and marketing metrics, and hands on experience with external auditors.

Cons

Where do I start? An organizational culture starts with it's executive management team. The environment is hostile and one that you would commonly see someone beat on their chest because they could. What I gained during the several years I worked in the Clayton office was where I should not work.

Advice to Management

Change management and remember that people are your most valuable asset.

9. Temporary employee.

I worked at Belden

Pros

I worked for a fantastic engineering manager when I was there on temporary assignment and learned many things, it was a great experience.

Cons

From what I understand they are letting the manager go, that I believe is a mistake. The managers knowledge and insight are invaluable to the company. Whom ever rehires the manager that I speak of will have an outstanding employee on their hands, your loss Belden.

Advice to Management

There is no substitute for good practical experience and loads of it, especially when it comes to engineering design and practices. Consider this; the mistakes have already been made and learned from, in the long run will not cost you as much.

10. Good opportunity to have an impact, but not the best communication and direction from senior leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Belden

Pros

Overall the people are good, products are good, and there's plenty of room to have an impact and improve things if you work hard and earn the trust of management. There is plenty of freedom to try new things and improve broken processes. Good opportunity for advancement and decent pay, although few people get stock options and fair bonus payout.

Cons

Sometimes it doesn't seem like senior leadership is really thinking through their decisions. Fear of and pressure from the CEO can drive decisions that are only short term fixes, often leaving the company and it's employees in a tough position to be successful in the long term. Overall lack of communication and direction from senior management seems to be the biggest issue. The constant pressure to meet metrics doesn't always lend to the most warm and trusting culture either.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees, build a culture that's more trusting so that you can keep good employees and better understand the real issues at hand. Help drive focus and direction within the business units. It's hard to be very successful at anything when you're trying to be good at everything. Make sure leadership is on the same page and then communicate plans and strategies down!

Company focussed only on bottom line numbers

I worked at Belden

Pros

Decent pay, good benefits, good product line

Cons

focussed only on numbers and dont care about people

RSS Feed </> Embed