Belden

Updated December 20, 2014
2.5

Belden President, CEO, and Director John S. Stroup
John S. Stroup

Pros
  • Good pay, reasonable hours, smart people (in 4 reviews)

• Good products lots of spec position but losing that fast (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The pressure is unbearable and there is zero regard for work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• continuous turnover in upper and middle management, no growth opportunity until you have any connections with the management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

No room for growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Belden

Pros

It is a traditional place to work. Very "old-school". It is a profitable business as its main business is copper cable.

Cons

There is no room for growth. The copper cable business is not a growth business. Belden needs to diversify their portfolio so that it can stay competitive. Employees are not given room to grow either. Stagnant business.

OK pay and benefits in a somewhat chaotic work environment.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chambersburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chambersburg, PA

I have been working at Belden

Pros

The Chambersburg location still growing, pay and benefits are decent, and the employees are good to work with. To some extent there is a family atmosphere, and many of the employees are friends with each other outside work as well as during working hours. The building is only one year old, with room for expansion. The working hours are not excessive, with occasional overtime required.

Cons

There is currently a somewhat chaotic environment, compounded even more by being purchased by Belden, and continuous turnover in upper & middle management in both Germany and the US over the past two years.

Develop or communicate a company plan for moving the company forward.

When Belden comes in and speaks to you about being part of their "family", I say, RUN LIKE EVERYTHING!!

Former Employee - Maintenance in Apple Creek, OH
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Apple Creek, OH

I worked at Belden

Pros

Get a check while you look for another job that will be there when Belden doesn't want you anymore and closes down your plant.

Cons

after giving us all a big speech about what a "family" company they were and how long people had worked at their company, they emptied our plant within 2 years; sending the equipment out and everyone who had worked at that plant for years onto the streets. We were a competent and competitive plant; they only bought us as an acquisition. They immediately sold off our corporate plant in Illinois, then our plant in Ohio within 2 years. We had to go to Mexico and train the people who were taking our jobs!! because WE were the qualified personnel. How does that stack up to "family"???

Put yourself in our shoes, even though you think we are just little, worthless pieces on your chessboard.

Means well but...

Current Employee - Director in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Director in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Belden full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good employee benefits, strong company ethics, valued brand name.

Cons

Belden wants to make a mark in high tech industries, especially broadcasting, but is severely weighed down by Belden upper management's complete lack of understanding of how to engage high tech employees and business units. Saddles new divisions with archaic workflows and technologies, and lets them make very misguided decisions that they think are what HQ wants because HQ does not provide clear direction.

Take your most capable, leading high tech unit and let them run Belden IT. Understand why your sales and field people are leaving in droves and taking your customers with them. You need to shift gears from the mentality that it's all about the margins (which is true if you're in an archaic heavy industry like cable manufacturing) to being a technology leader (which is what fiber and broadcasting require). And don't expect that buying a bunch of legacy broadcast hardware manufacturers will position you well for what is becoming a software-only industry.

Offering a good basic salary is not enough

I worked at Belden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The basic salary Belden provides is good and on par with other companies, perhaps even a bit above average level.

Cons

The work environment at Belden is very chaotic, mainly because of poor management with complete lack of focus. Work-life balance is also bad.

Don’t lose focus on your existing business during the process of acquiring another company! Furthermore, if you really want to be lean, reduce the amount of managers.

Channel strategy Belden

Current Employee - Channel Account Manager in Utrecht (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Channel Account Manager in Utrecht (Netherlands)

I have been working at Belden full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are competitive. International working atmosphere, teamplayers.

Cons

Dedication to the Company is not reconized by upper management. Life span at Belden is short. Continious changes of platforms and strategy. Yearly cut of team members is frustrating not only for team members but is hitting the customer by constantly replacements.

Its all about customer relationship. Support employees to drive customer satisfaction on a long term base. Think in solutions for customers.

Hourly employees need more recognition

Current Employee - Factory Labourer in Cobourg, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Factory Labourer in Cobourg, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Belden full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The wages and coworkers

Cons

Management is rapidly lowering the moral of its employees on a daily basis. Hourly employees are very skilled and knowledgeable and are in fact the only thing that is keeping the cobourg plant operating.

Management needs to stop treating hourly so poorly and that they are unintelligent. Start patting the hourly employees on the back and stop patting your own. We are a wire company not a food or auto industry.

Wonderful working environment

Former Employee - Regional Sales Representative in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Representative in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at Belden full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professional and ethical work culture

Cons

There are no cons to mention

Continue doing good work

From a Factory Techinican Perspective :"Narrow-minded and does not respect their employees or their ideas or thoughts"

Former Employee - Factory Labourer in Cobourg, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Factory Labourer in Cobourg, ON (Canada)

I worked at Belden full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros of working at belden was the hourly wage and fellow employees

Cons

the cons were that management did not respect or care about employees, it was clearly just a numbers game, employees concerns, thoughts and rights were not taken into consideration

i think you need to evaluate your staff at the canadian location of belden and realize that those in charge are seriously declining the work atmosphere and true production. Seriously if you went and asked the factory workers what the issue was there….they would say that the management under valued your staff and disregarded any and all ideas they have

A good company to work for... whilst you look for another job.

I worked at Belden

Pros

Company is pretty laid back, you are left to get on with your job.

Cons

Empty promises, salary and benefits are not so good. Low moral.

Treat your staff better.