Belk

Belk Reviews

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Belk Chairman and CEO Tim Belk Jr.
Tim Belk Jr.

Pros
  • The employee discount is great and so is working at the mall (in 23 reviews)

• The employee discount was great along with an additional discount 3-4 times a year (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Management does not listen as often to the sales associates as they should (in 27 reviews)

• Maybe sales are down because customers shop where they aren't hounded to open a credit card (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Exhausting

I worked at Belk full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible schedules- perfect for students, great discounts- even works with coupons,and had some friendly customers.

Cons

Long hours- would make you stay even after your scheduled shift, weekends are horrible because they are busy, holiday hours- mainly just Black Friday was terrible.

hire more help.

Overall it was an ok experience

I worked at Belk

Pros

The people employed there were nice . Overall operations Was ok..very behind in technology n procedures compared to other retail outlets..

Cons

Training of associates and management needs improvement ..need to keep up with updates with other retail outlets..very behind

Too much work, not enough people

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC

I worked at Belk part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, hours not TOO bad

Cons

Besides Christmas, the store is always cutting back n hours, but always adding to workload.

unorganized

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Belk full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay and the coworkers in my department where some of the best things i enjoyed about the job.

Cons

Poor management, with a new store opening all the managers had never managed before, no communication between managers 2 or 3 managers in one department who told you different ways to do something and always tried to over rule each other. Too much stock and product bought not enough sales made. Poor hiring from management. A lot of coworkers challenged for authority in other departments or simply conducted no work.

Re train management in the department stores, don't hire sassy attitude management. Better planing and communication, bring traffic to the store through sale.

The Bigger Their .COM Gets, The Smaller You Become

I have been working at Belk full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The starting salary was very good for this area, and the discounts are terrific. Health insurance can't be beat! 401k is right on. The .COM portion of Belk has grown like weeds in an untended flower bed over the past several years, with no end of growth in sight.

That is all to good I have. If you had asked maybe 4 years ago before Belk .COM got so large, I could have written a novel on how wonderful a place this was to work. Oh, how much people cared about one another, Managers, Directors, VP, EVP, Associates, all. It WAS family.

Cons

You better bargain for a really good salary when you start, because you'll never get a "cost of living" raise. All raises are "Goals" based, and there's a really huge "buddy system", or "teacher's pet" alliance in the Belk .COM world, folks. So unless you manage to become one of "those", you'll never get more than a 2% raise; I promise, it will not matter how hard you work, or how many hours you put in. This just is not going to happen.

Think twice if you have an "Invisible Illness" even if it's documented (Do a search on "Invisible Illness" if you aren't familiar). Unless you have the appearance of what people 'commonly' refer to a disability (visible disabilities), you will be to be treated and talked down to as if you were but 5 years old at Belk! This is pure ignorance.

Belk does a great deal of charity work, and this is wonderful. However, it would be nice to see Upper, and UPPER-Upper Management (Directors and above) educate themselves about ADA and the "Invisible Illnesses" spoken of above. It truly is pure ignorance as to how some of the Belk employees are treated that don't show outward signs of disabilities; yet they sincerely have a disability just the same. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!

Before Belk .COM grew so fast, so quick, people were humans and treated as such. I once marveled at how people had conversations with each other about a variety of topics, and cared how each others families were. Now, the common practice seems to be "this is work, keep it work; leave home at home." It was not always such, and I will bet the elder Belks would not like this approach.

A Director recently told one of their Managers, "Don't be involved with your 'direct reports'. It's okay on a Monday morning to say 'How was your weekend?', but that is as far as you need to go in being personally involved with them." ("Them" like it was a dirty word.) This mentality will never lead to healthy work relationships. It is not positive team building. It certainly is not, wait - - it's coming to me: It is not good 'Associate Engagement' tactics. Belk is all about their 'Associate Engagement' scores.

BELK, please put FAMILY and PEOPLE back into your Corporate office. People who worked here, especially in the .COM and supporting areas of .COM were once "family" before our .COM gained size and success. At one time I woke up jumping to come see my "work family"! Now I dread when Sunday evening rolls around. Now it feels more like a sweat shop where minutes are watched rather than the quality and quantity of work being produced. And way too much politics: don't play your music, it just won't look right to 'visitors', don't say this, don't do that, don't talk to that group, etc.

WE, Belk .COM grew so fast, so quickly because WE were permitted to relax and work in a manner that allowed us to do what we do best: WE made Belk .COM! Now that we are becoming very successful in the .COM world, we are being clock-watched, and hammered to death by insignificant issues that hamper our creativity.

Mass Exodus

Current Employee - Merchandise Planner in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Merchandise Planner in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Belk full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are some great people that work for this company that genuinely care about the employees and our customers. They truly want to make things better for both employees and customers.

Cons

The expectations are very high of all employees. The "new" systems require everything to be completed at a very detailed level in order to be accurate. Basic tasks take too much time to complete so the only option to do your job well is to work 12+ hours and weekends. This workload is fine during peak seasons but is not sustainable for years on end.

Employees are numbers, not people

I have been working at Belk full-time

Pros

The discounts are always great so I find most of my paycheck going straight back to the store. I really enjoy the people I work alongside.

Cons

Too many expectations in regards to sales, credit, duties, and other "corporate pushes" to deal with in one day, on top of being short staffed all the time.

STM

I have been working at Belk full-time

Pros

Great discounts all throughout the year in addition to employee discount

Cons

Long hours and unrealistic expectations

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Belk full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fellow associates are very nice. Support team did what they could to help us out. My present store manager is very concerned about customer service and having everything we need for our job. The discount is great.

Cons

Computer scheduling is awful. No coverage in some areas sometimes all day. My STM was rude and uncaring towards his staff. There is no room for advancement because DM's always higher from outside the company (ie Macy's). Eight years ago we worked for a family run company and felt like we counted. Now were just a faceless number in another large company. If you are full time you only get scheduled for 30 hours per week. The only time you get more hours is if there is a visit or a holiday sale. Pay is awful, only slightly over minimum wage. The ladies fitting rooms need a dedicated associate to clean them and rehang cloths!!!

Promote from within first. Pay your loyal employees a living wage.

I love Belk!

Current Employee - STMDP In Shoes in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - STMDP In Shoes in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Belk full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A very good company to work for, they have an AWESOME program called the Sales team management development program that helps you move up in the company..its 6 months long and it basically teaches you how to become a boss.

Cons

Shoe department is commission so just a little competition there...nothing really bad to say besides if you don't want to work then don't get a job there.. You're expected to always be on a task.

Be a little more stern.