Belk Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
2.9

Belk Chairman and CEO Tim Belk Jr.
Tim Belk Jr.

Pros
  • The employee discount is great and so is working at the mall (in 18 reviews)

• The only pro of working for Belk Corporate was the 20% off employee discount at Belk stores (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • The sales associates make more than the OTAs but the hours suck (in 27 reviews)

• Belk makes more money on interest on credit card balances/interest than they do selling product (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Nothing Innovated Happening

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Belk full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees receive a 20% discount and Charlotte is a great location

Cons

There is nothing special about this company. You will be overworked and underpaid and expected to smile and joke about the working conditions as it is a well known problem that management will not address. The corporate offices are understaffed and since there is such a high turnover, the workload becomes even more stressful. The training is all systems training with no focus on investing in employees and developing them as people. There is no talk about career goals unless you as an entry level employee start the conversation and coaching is focused on how to complete assignments rather than how to better yourself and excel at the company. As a result, there is nothing special or inspiring about the leaders of this company. All that we know about them is that they make sales goals with no explanation of their leadership style or best practices, or that their last name is Belk.
         There is no Belk corporate mantra or way of doing things and as a result we sit around in meetings using other retailers as references as to what we should be doing instead of using them as a competitive analysis about how we can set ourselves apart. Even if upper level management did do that, the strategies are not shared or are unknown. We consistently undermine our customer thinking that they are old fashioned and lag behind the times, when, in fact, it is our company that is old fashioned and behind the times. Our systems are old and outdated, our stores look tired and overstuffed with product, and we do not embrace technology whatsoever. Overall, there is just nothing remarkable or inspiring about the work that is done here.

There is no sense of community at the office and nothing that bonds people together besides the fact that they all work for you. There is no training program for new employees just systems classes. The majority of people are overworked and underpaid. Our offices are understaffed and the worse part is that you guys know this and won't admit that there is a problem. There is nothing special or exciting about working here and it is reflected in our turnover rate.

I loved my co-workers but felt we worked way too hard for such little compensation.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Waynesville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waynesville, NC

I worked at Belk full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great clearance sales compared to other retail stores I've worked, which allowed me to really build up my wardrobe.

Cons

No incentive for growth and the payscale was absurb--minimum wage--with no regard for past experience or ability. Too much time spent on mark-downs and price changes in general. Not enough time is dedicated to assisting customers. Additionally, the employee discount was the lowest I've encountered.

Add full-time coverage for all dressing rooms. The amount of merchandise stolen is money that could be used for better pay for employees. your employees are your most important asset--without them you would not be in business!

New joiners need to be encouraged.

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Belk as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Have sufficient resource to handle a good website.

Cons

Ground level Employee encouragement is needed.

Healthy discussions need to conducted with in team

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible company to work for

I worked at Belk full-time

Pros

Salary was good and the associates were all really good people

Cons

No room for growth whatsoever since they don't post open positions or if they do they already have someone in mind and its meaningless. Favortism and fraternization is rampant, like nothing I have ever seen. Senior managers going out with managers who report to them, managers going out with associates who report to them. Senior management is unqualified and just plain stupid, unable to do their job. All senior managers just sit in their office al day every day like they are the president and contribute nothing to the business. In what universe does senior management sit in their office all day the week of Christmas? Only at Belk. Associates, who work really really hard due to lack of staffing, are treated like a herd of moo cows who have no minds of their own. So many great people fired over random BS that honestly should have been taken care of my their managers long before it became a problem. All the way up to the regional and corporate HR managers are deceitful, manipulative liars. Horrible place to work.

Get rid of your 'good ole boys' southern culture, it has no place in retail. Look around, Belk is a dinosaur with zero upgrades. Your infrastructure is barely hanging on. Treat your people better. When someone tells you they have been treated badly listen to them. Its no wonder Belk gets sued all the time.

HORRIFIC

I have been working at Belk full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

None begining 5 years ago

Cons

No enough room., compensation way below many other stores. Their poliyc handbook is used as they want to and when they want to use it to suit their needs. Managment has buddies and discriminates against others but within the policy guidelines so not to get caught unless you are in the know as how they work. The open door policy is a joke. They do not care after having been told of a problem etc. If it gets verified, they stop all proceedings and push it under the rug, unless it is to be used against somone they are trying to get rid of. It does not matter how had a person works etc. If your on the it list they will work to get rid of you by the write up policy and keep dogging you with the tiniest of things till they get enough to terminate. That is if they can't break you fisrt to quit. The HR department especially in the Northern DIvision is frought with people who got there let's just say, in very peculiar ways which is known throughout the company but ignored and those that know are told to be quiet for fear of retaliation. They use associates against each other to gang up on ones they don't like, then turn on the ones that helped them. You are told or at least hinted at by management how to get around things such as : if we don't see your cell phone on you we don't know you have it, or if you go to the stock rooms ect, and we don't know about it.......... But others, Managers included, have their's in their pockets and give excuses for their being allowed to keep them. ONE SIDED.... If you get written up, it doesn't matter what proof you give for your sid, it's done and that's it!!!!! Certian Associates get wriiten up for making remarks, and managers making the exact same it is said it's a different story so they are exempt. New scheduling process is a shame just to keep the currently filing of law suits by associates in different areas from seeming to have merit. As to Sunday observance etc, A manager in the know sat in on a manager conference call a few years ago and the LEGAL in house Counsel, taught how to properly build against and associate to terminate AND with the growing cmplaint by associates about not being allowed to atend religious observance, it was stated " To get around that, give them 1 Sunday off, that's all we are legally obligated to do. And if they have a 2 service church, they must decide which service they will attend, regardless if they want to attned both.

A very deceptive, non-careing company with only the very upper heads getting what they want any way they want. Corporate does not care nor want to hear the associate disgruntleness through out the company cause they don't want to hear it cause it starts at the very top . The Belk family is NOT what it use to be like. The younger generation has ignored the former and originating owners wishes and way they use to do things.

No, would never encourage anyone to work at belk.. ALL long time associate's, which are very few and far in between, will tell you it's not the same company anymore. Now they are devising ways to force FT associates into PT posiitons by coersion with the new scheduling system, and if they refuse they just advise them their position (One lady's case after 30 yrs), is no longer FT but now PT - take it or leave it.

Close the coompany OR totally clean house. Sooner or later the lawyers are going to get you either way. IF you really care, and I doubt it, have an open forum without retaliation, for associates to come forward to share their experiences and see just how many are experiencing the exact same things throughout the company and be open and really concerned about dealing with things.

Over worked and underpaid

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Belk part-time

Pros

There really isn't any pros. Excepts I love my coworkers, they truly are amazing. But as for management. They need some serious training.

Cons

You get paid what management can get by with. Not a good company to work for. You work hard long hours and deal with rude hateful customers. They do not value true hard working assoiates. Good luck trying to pay bills. Cause it won't happen.

Take your own advice. Stop lying. Stop telling employees you don't have enough money to pay what they deserve. belk is a billion doller company and we all know that is a lie. You get what you give.

I love working here

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Decatur, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Decatur, AL

I have been working at Belk

Pros

I have a great sales floor manager who I admire and strive to be like, the customers for the most part are amazing and the seniors and regulars are fun to shop with and sale to, great discount of 20 percent and exceeding sales goals gets you a larger discount, my areas staff is helpful and hard working, gained a lot of knowledge on brands and their founders as well as fits and styles, had a chance to learn about the opts team and assist them in product placement and put out, a lot of merchandising and visual skill implemented.

Cons

Sometimes it's overwhelming with the poor scheduling (customers complaining that they couldn't find anyone to check them out), same people scheduled to work every weekend (I.e. I have open availability yet I've only ever worked Thursday - Sunday that past five months for the whole days) and it would be nice to have just ONE Friday, Saturday, or Sunday off, and my store managers will give out employees phone numbers to other workers and then they'll also ask people the exact MINUTE they're scheduled to be off to stay later. This is an inconvenience because we make plans around our work schedule just like we make time to come to work. One employee hasn't been to work in two weeks yet another employee must sacrifice his/her time to cover for that employee that'd missing (and you're expected not to go overtime too).

I love my management but something needs to be done about that scheduling.

Below average retail company.

I have been working at Belk full-time

Pros

Belk pays relatively well if you're willing to demand more than they offer you.

Cons

There is no transparency in their policies, and they are not consistent. The operation of the store and which policies are followed and which are ignored are solely at the whim of the store manager. In some stores department managers and associates are treated like garbage and thrown under the bus by the store manager when it benefits him or her. This mentality trickles down to the associates and there is horrible morale because no one is consistently held to standards.

Have more involvement in oversight, and hold store managers accountable for their behaviour. Implement policies fairly, and update infrastructure.

Not a supportive company by any means...

Former Employee - Cosmetic Sales  in  Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Cosmetic Sales in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Belk full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're in management or cosmetic retail they pay far better than most similar retailers. And that's about the only pro!

Cons

The hours for holidays are absolutely ridiculous for them to be a "family owned" company that "care" about their employees. I worked for Belk for over 2 years and surely never felt support or care from management. They do a great job at putting up an initial 'we're here for you' front, but after a whole that wears off and all they care about is opening credit accounts. It has been said to me by upper management we would rather you open credit accounts than make your sales goals. Employees can get away with almost anything, as long as they are meeting their set goals. If not, they really just want to push you out, regardless of leadership or skill set. I've never heard an upper management team speak so poorly and insulting to employees without regard more so that this company...and that goes for three different stores I've worked in!

Start hiring people in your management positions that care and want to be there to work! Most new hires last a very short time or stay around and don't do their jobs, allowing hourly position workers to pick up the slack without as much as a thank you. Seriously need to work on morale of your employees and the unrealistic goals you set for them. Until you work for a great, supportive company you have no idea how unappealing Belk is to work for.

Team reflects leadership.

I have been working at Belk

Pros

The employee discount is great and so is working at the mall.

Cons

The morale is low and its because leadership is so negative. The store manager is great but his advisors are all greedy, self serving, and disrespectful. They don't care about the associates. They only care about numbers and their pay. I don't know how they ended up in leadership positions.

Get new managers and pay people better.

Worked for Belk? Contribute to the Community!