Belkin

Belkin Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Belkin President & CEO Chet Pipkin

Chet Pipkin

Pros
  • You can make a difference in your role- individual contributors are highly esteemed and recognized for their work(in 4 reviews)

• Acquired Linksys and still keep the hope to become a great company, but wait and see(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • clock you have a great opportunity to see how this company manages the work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• upper management needs to improve their management style(in 8 reviews)

Challenging and fun experience.

Supply Planner (Former Employee) Playa Vista, CA

ProsGreat people, love the products, good working environment, great pay and benefits.

ConsLong hours and lots of over time.

Working through challenges, gearing up for a bright future

Program Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros* Great market position in consumer networking with combination of Linksys & Belkin brands.
    * Excellent opportunity for growth by combining home automation product line (WeMo), with Linksys Smart Wi-Fi remote home network management.
    * Good compensation (joined through an acquisition, pleased they matched market rate, like large corps.)
    * Good benefits: health insurance, 4 weeks of PTO, etc.
    * Nice people, friendly and respectful co-workers; minimal jerk factor.
    * Attractive workplace facilities in Seattle and CA, good HW and SW tools provided to get the job done.
    * Virtually no debt, a private company with maximum flexibility for partnerships, acquisitions, IPO potential.

Cons* 401k investment options are mediocre.
    * Excessive outsourcing lengthens development life cycles.
    * Aggressive schedules and product line-ups can setup projects for failure.
    * High turnover; we lose a lot of good employees and their expertise goes with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus less on the cables and case of yesteryear, and more on the automation, networking, analytics, and power management of tomorrow.

Trust the experts that work for you. Free up teams to take initiative and make decisions on the building new products.. They were successful and innovative at Cisco, and can be the same here. Leverage Program Management to drive internal development projects, instead of Product Development Management more accustomed to ODM process.

Provide incentive to stay and grow with Belkin (stock options, vesting, etc.)

Misplaced Rare Orchid in a Landfill

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsReliably professional environment; creative thinking rewarded; company is sincere in its efforts to excel and be the best at what it does; company has clear vision of forward movement required for success; beautiful & new/contemporary facilities/SEER rated buildings; company is renewable & conservation conscious in both self-footprint and products; involved in benevolent activities such as Habitat for Humanity, charitable organizations/timely employee & employer contributions to disaster relief & various off-site team building events & activities; on campus full cafeteria sincerely dedicated to serving health conscious food; close proximity to LAX & beach.

ConsLocation location location, compensation destined to be ravaged by surroundings without unreasonably long drive to work, ultra-fast lane pace may not be compatible with otherwise highly qualified workers, families with children highly vulnerable to sub-standard schooling in compromise for solving sufficient problems inherited by location (a nearly unsolvable puzzle without going nowhere), use of the 405 may be mandatory, location of this company makes working here best suited for: couples/partners with no children in which both are working - multiple singles sharing a residence - those owning a helicopter.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe human machine has a productivity success zone which cannot be exceeded without compromising the quality of the entirety of the output (you cannot do something without also deciding "not" do something else).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start a career.

Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsExcellent team work. the QA team, firmware team, app developing team works well together.

ConsIts too early for me to comment on the cons of the company.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinuing with what they have been doing so far and bringing up more exciting products.

Good place to start your career

Prosvery chill environment
    you can voice your opinion and have autonomy to start your project

Consupper management needs to improve their management style
    very lean company

A company with great potential, but challenged by it's immaturity.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Playa Vista, CA

Pros- Some admirable executive leadership (CEO, CTO).
    - Well established name in the computer/device accessories arena.
    - Full range of employee benefits; more than you'd expect from a small company.
    - Strong marketing and sales acumen; they know how to win in the consumer space.
    - New revenue stream in Small Business, with little OpEx beyond applying Linksys brand.
    - Fantastic growth potential in new technology (home automation and beyond with developing IP).
    - Acquisition of Linksys was one of the most understated to tech company home runs this decade; bring to the table a proven profit center, quality brand name recognition, seasoned high-caliber employees (that Belkin could never have otherwise attracted, and the limitless growth potential of Cloud-managed/integrated home network platform.

Cons- As a private company, it has the same fun quirks, nepotism, favoritism, and politics as any family business.
    - Immaturity and insecurity shows itself often in management interactions, titles go to inexperienced yes-men.
    - HR reps reflect well on their training, but VP & Director level have the professionalism of drunken cowgirls.
    - Honesty is not a company value! Voicing concerns to protect P&L, over a yes-man's feelings, is punished.

Advice to Senior ManagementI very badly wanted to give four stars or higher based on our potential, but we are just holding ourselves back too much to justify it. After four years, I've seen our opportunities grow, but not the maturity necessary to accomplish them.

I will not reflect the industry assumption that the Linksys acquisition was bungled, because I saw the level of effort that went into it, but we must admit it was at least a bad fumble. While nothing can be done now about the initial mistakes deprecating Linksys management to placate the insecurities of the Belkin faithful; the continued loss of employees and intellectual knowledge we will never be able to replace, must be addressed before it is too late. Everyone agrees that integration of automation, network, and cloud is our future. But, nothing is being done to stop it from slipping through our fingers. We are losing proven executers, while consoling ourself that the dreamers and collective positive thinkers remain.

Lots of opportunity and room for growth if you put in the effort.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Playa Vista, CA

ProsGreat co-workers, and an environment that gives a sense of ownership to the work you do. Belkin supports homegrown talent, and offers ample opportunities to those who seek out the challenge.

ConsOpportunities oftentimes come with a sacrifice in work/life balance, but that is expected in most companies. A lack of standardized practices can be a bit frustrating, and a lack of clearly defined roles has employees wearing "multiple hats" and fighting fires on a daily basis. Unless you are recruited in, homegrown talent struggle in reaching market in compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough you do a good job in identifying talent and empowering them, you need to be more proactive with compensation as it leads good employees to keep their options open to new opportunities. Also please be mindful of employees' bandwidth, and try not to burn them out.

Terrible Management. Illegally classifies hourly employees as salary to steal their overtime. Fires US citizens

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBig Company-OK benefits. Discount on Belkin gear.

ConsTerrible Management gives no support to employees. Outsourced the entire IT dept. to H1Bs and fired US citizens. Illegally classifies hourly employees as salary to steal their overtime. Owner Chet Pipkin lives in a multi million dollar mansion.

Advice to Senior ManagementComply with the law on salaried employees. Almost NO IT workers can be classified as salaried. Comply with the law on H1 visa workers. You pay 50% less to them to fire American workers.

ANOTHER LAYOFF, NO JOB SECURITY, NO WORK-LIFE BALANCE

Branding (Current Employee) Playa Vista, CA

ProsNice campus with cafeteria (you won't have time to leave for lunch), great people to work with who unfortunately don't stay long. They pay well, which helps them acquire their next victims.

ConsMay 2014 - Third round of layoffs in the last five years and from this company already understaffed. Yes they got rid of dead weight in all divisions; sales, photo department management, etc. But they also cut necessary positions as they expect for every three jobs there are only two people to do them; holding its employees to unachievable standards. At five o’clock you have a great opportunity to see how this company manages the work-life balance. While the executives are merrily on their way home, most non-management have their head buried in work. It's understood you cannot say no to OT. The culture is so abusive that most people move on fairly soon. One manager actually told one of his people that he knew they worked a lot of hours but they compensated by OT pay. Clueless!!!! You can't pay a person to take away their life. This company can't survive with the the continued loss of employees and intellectual knowledge.
    Historically they have hired the big-talkers as management. Management blaming others when things go wrong is a standard procedure. Accountability is non-existent at this level. For instance when my manager's boss was out of town, my manager would "work from home," but would never answer his phone. hmmm. Consensus is the Linksys acquisition was bungled; maybe the reason for another layoff? Project managers push to get products out to market, even when told the products are not ready which has lead to return of products and terrible customer feedback from sites such as Amazon. Belkingate where it was found employees were paying individuals to post positive reviews of Belkin products didn't help sales whether it was true or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire top-notch management with proven track records instead of the fast-talkers. Have some respect for employees and work-life balance,

Program Manager

ProsCompensation and employee discount is good

ConsCulture is crazy here. Very divided with old schoolers

Worked for Belkin? Contribute to the Community!