Bell Helicopter

Bell Helicopter Reviews

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
3.1

Bell Helicopter President and CEO John L. Garrison Jr.
John L. Garrison Jr.

Pros
  • 8 and hit the gate, opportunity for advancement, great pay and benefits (in 6 reviews)

• Good pay (for some jobs), good benefits, great people, great products (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes difficult to introduce new ideas and new concepts (in 5 reviews)

• No significant issues on work environment or benefits (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Many Good Things about Bell Helicopter

I worked at Bell Helicopter full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Bell offers many opportunities for advancement and pays very well. When I moved to another Textron business unit, my new team was quite surprised at my salary level. Bell also has an outstanding Professional Development team that provides great training courses. Finally, the health and retirement benefits are good at Bell, but the best part is that those benefits moved with me to my new company.

Cons

Job security is the biggest con - in my 8+ years with Bell, I saw numerous layoffs and a lot of good people walked out the door. There doesn't seem to be any relationship between how well you do your job, how long you've been in your job - and whether you get to keep it.

You are losing a lot of good people because somebody on the ELT identifies a "target" headcount and directs 1st and 2nd level managers to eliminate people and/or positions to get to that headcount. Bell would be a much better company to work for if more effort were put into business development rather than balancing the budget by eliminating employees.

Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say

I worked at Bell Helicopter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Work environment, Pay and Benefits

Cons

Downsizing, Not in control in there processes.

Keep you work in house so you can control your processes

WeBe Culture

I have been working at Bell Helicopter

Pros

The company has a legacy of quality customer support that sustains customer loyalty despite its ability to field competitive new products.

Cons

A culture of WeBe ("We be here long before you got here and we be here long after you're gone") blocks new leadership from attracting and keeping new talent. This leaves the organization addicted to the belief that the US Army won't let Bell fail even though the Army is dumping Bell product from its helicopter fleet.

Big, complex organization

I worked at Bell Helicopter

Pros

Opportunities to take on new roles and responsibilities helps to build and strengthen a resume. Employees are dedicated to the company mission.

Cons

Highly regulated industry and risk adverse culture led to bureaucratic practices that could frustrate individual progress.

Good environment and easily accessible management

Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Hurst, TX
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst in Hurst, TX

I have been working at Bell Helicopter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy environment to reach people - even management.
    Fixed calendar to plan yearly vacation days.

Cons

If you don't network with people there's little opportunity to move to another job

Get to know the lower level people and be a mentor to them

Jan 30, 2015Sr. University Relations

Thank you for your comments. Employee engagement and involvement is a vital part of work life balance. We pride ourselves on offering a variety of opportunities for our employees to interact with ... More

As an intern in Quality Engineering, I encountered immense bureaucracy and was surprised at the lack of job security.

Former Intern - Quality Engineering Intern in Hurst, TX
    Former Intern - Quality Engineering Intern in Hurst, TX

I worked at Bell Helicopter as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and there was always someone to help answer questions/resolve issues. Helpful training courses were also made available, such as: comprehensive CATIA training.

Cons

Red tape, childish office politics, no job security. It is difficult to move up within the organization and there are issues with interconnectivity between each branch of the organization.

Concentrate more on customer satisfaction, instead of telling customers what they want.

Jan 30, 2015Sr. University Relations

Thank you for your feedback, each bit of feedback is a chance for us to grow and respond to what our employees want and need in their careers. We appreciate your courage to speak up and we will take ... More

Good company, but lower management runs amuk, out of sight of the corporate offices.

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Bell Helicopter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good end products. Good benefits. Good parent company (Textron). Good opportunities to transfer to other Textron owned companies.

Cons

Local management (in outlying plants) engages in petty squabbles. We have learned to not trust the 1st & 2nd level management. High turnover of professional, non-management employees. Corporate management supports the local management and is unaware of what goes on in the trenches of the outlying plants.

Invest the time and effort to discover the mistreatment and trust issues with your local management in your outlying plants.

Couldn't have asked for a better first internship

Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Intern - Human Resources Intern in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Bell Helicopter as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely loved the team I worked with and all of the employees I interacted with, was given real responsibilities, everyone truly valued intern feedback, many opportunities to work with management and interact with ELTs

Cons

Full time workers seemed to work way too much over time, interns in areas who weren't used to having interns had a much worse experience

Dec 23, 2014Sr. University Relations

Our goal is to provide interns with meaningful work. We’re very pleased that you enjoyed your experience at Bell.
    We will take your comments back to the team in hopes of creating a more pleasant

Design Conformity

Former Employee - Design Conformity in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Design Conformity in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Bell Helicopter full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There is an ATF who is an expert in Geometric Dimensioning & Tolarencing and Design Conformity who will be a mentor to the younger staff.

Cons

there were about 18Design Conformity specialists in early 2013. There are no Checking specialist's as they have all been laid off

Quality Control, consistency and the DRM are very important across Platforms, Airframes and COMM & MIL programs. Without a formal Check by those experienced in the Design field, inconsistencies will become a major problem if left unchecked !

Dec 16, 2014Sr. University Relations

Thank you for your comments. Staffing reductions are never easy, but they are necessary to position Bell Helicopter for future success.
    We continue to face difficult decisions, but we are confident

Avoid this place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Bell Helicopter

Pros

cant think of any pros

Cons

Company knows how to do one thing- lay off workers. Management structure is light on tenure and experience but deep in good ole boy me yes men

Look closely at the lightweights in your management structure that are only able to be yes men to those above. And your ethics department is a joke- as much as they encourage you to report - do NOT! It will not be held in confidence! It's a joke just like the corporate shill that will respond to this with corporate fluff

We continue to face difficult decisions, but we are confident