Bell Mobility

Updated November 25, 2014
3.2

Bell Mobility President & CEO George Cope
George Cope

Pros
  • Very supportive community there to help with work-life balance in a major way (in 9 reviews)

• The free cell phone service some what made up for the not so great pay (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • hard to have a work life balance at times (in 5 reviews)

• call centre was shut down - in order to "expand operations out to the west" (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company, too much politics, directors lack vision, diversity and original thought.

Former Employee - Specialist in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Specialist in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Bell Mobility full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most of the people are good people. 35% discount on all of their services. The CEO and leadership team are pretty on the ball, and paying attention to the world changing around them. They present themselves as more human than the VP's and Directors that act like Gods.

Cons

The people that suck up get promoted without proving their worth. "We've always do it this way" seems to be the silent mantra. They want to hire grads off the street and make them management in a year or so. Bell is slow to adapt at the department/director level.

Listen to your staff, take chances. Compensate your employees at market value. Being Caucasian shouldn't be a pre-requisite to becoming senior management. HR should actually try to do something when employees reach out to them about unfair treatment, unethical hiring practices etc. instead of just diffusing and hoping that issues solve themselves.

Project Manager

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Bell Mobility full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and opportunities to grow

Cons

none as now that i can say

The biggest issues are not about Bell per say... but about management... and politics!

Current Employee - Support in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Support in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Bell Mobility full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on your department/manager, Bell can be a good place to work at. Good work life balance. Employee discount plan. Some parts of the benefits plan are nice.

Cons

Politics and hidden agendas. Management, in general, doesn't actually care about employees. Raises are practically non existent. Medical and dental plans are poor. General attitude of people is lousy (unfriendly). No clear vision from top down. Little to no support in general. Mostly an individualistic mindset.

Get to know your employees... not only the sales people. Learn how to become people leaders. Motivate, support and teach. Be genuinely friendly.

They have high turnover of employees. People make bets on who will last more then a month.

Former Employee - Inside Sales for Mobile Small Biz in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales for Mobile Small Biz in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Bell Mobility full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Average benefits. Nice office and cafeteria.

Cons

They don't really want you to share your ideas. Management doesn't care. They don't know what they are doing. My supervisor didn't even know the system and she has been with them for over 7 years. 1/2hr lunch. Expected to work long ours.

Open your eyes. You are spending money on training you should really listen to your employees. Perhaps it's the supervisor and not the employee failing.

Was a great fun place to work

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Winnipeg, MB (Canada)

I worked at Bell Mobility part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment, management was trying and helping you do better.

Cons

Minimal hours in slow time

Keep up the good work

Heavy work load, good bonus potential

I have been working at Bell Mobility

Pros

- Base salary & bonus structure is descent.
    - Flexible hours.
    - Self directed and you have a lot of control over work/life balance.
    - valuable training offered.
    - 3 weeks vacation/benefits

Cons

- On Boarding is tough. Little direction with maximum productivity is expected.
    - Politics
    - Work load can be quite aggressive depending on area.
    - Processes are convoluted.
    - High turn over rate.

More support is needed for new employees and a more structured New Hire Training package would avoid unnecessary frustrations and possibly reduce turn over rate. Procedures aren't consistent and need to be better organized.

Decently paid cog in the wheel

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at Bell Mobility full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay for a reasonably challenging job.

Cons

Just don't expect the systems and processes to work as they should.

Provide some type of performance or rate of increase ability over the years (e.g. yearly increases in pay). When the company continues to show $500M profit (Not GROSS) per quarter we do have enough money to flow through to employees outside of the CEO (who appears to be average $20M+ per year.

Sales Consultant

I worked at Bell Mobility part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Free demo phone that has unlimited everything
    -Commission

Cons

-Better training-
    -More control instead of calling in for every little thing

Good experience overall and learned about my potentials

Former Employee - Wireless Technology Specialist in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Wireless Technology Specialist in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Bell Mobility as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of perks for my position specifically. Such as free work phones with various high end brands and models, as well as free work phone number with unlimited messaging/voice/data/voice-mail plans. There is a 4% vacation pay for my position as well. There are a lot of team lunch/ presentation/ events that offer free food and free accessories.

Cons

There are some micro-management happening to contractors like me. Especially from those who recently got a full time position with some management power above the normal contractors. Overall the training was done by previous person at the same position so it is very dependent of whether that person can provide a good knowledge transfer.

The training could be more effective and designed in better structure for the ease of time and knowledge transfer... However, it is not the case for all positions at this company. It may be very different for different teams.

Good and Secure but too slow for young people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Bell Mobility full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great starting salary, really great for the 1st work place (Pricing Team)
    - I have a good team, people are open and approachable
    - the job is very secure and predictable once you are full-time
    - 30% off all Bell services!
    - great company cell phone plans (sometimes paid in full by the company)
    - good health benefits (I think..I haven't seen much)

Cons

- is just so slow..being slow is probably the worst thing for me personally. Once in a while there will be a pressing dead-line - that's when I feel that my brain is alive. All the other times, feels like I am doing busy work, mostly. To be fair though, I am not crazy about the field I am in, but most people (under 30) find it too slow

- a lot of procrastination is going on at all the levels below VP. This makes you plain lazy!

- overall feells like this is a great place to be when you have a family and you want stable 9-5 (4..) working hours. The job is predictable, pays well, secure! Doesn't challenge me enough in my 20s.

Bell is a really great place and getting better every year. It is understandable that a company of this size is very slow. The size also brings stability. I am sure most people love their jobs for all the security and good pay/perks.

It is just very hard to stay passionate and sharp in such a slow culture.. Would be great if you could create a special, experimental if you will, place/campus/floor where more creativity can be happening! Where the environment is more young people oriented with flexible working hours and all the cool things tech companies are offering. Professional Management Program was amazing in that sense. If you want young creative people to be crazy about Bell, that's something I would consider doing.

Bell Mobility Photos