Bellevue Community College

stimulating, supportive work environment

Former Employee - Project Director  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Project Director in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Bellevue Community College full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits, low turnover, can take courses at employee rate

Cons

politics, between department a bit disjointed, and lack of collaboration cross-department

cross training is very important to the staff.

I learned a great deal.

I worked at Bellevue Community College full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Many awesome people work at the college. I made a lot of good relationships there. I also received some good mentorship and was able to learn many new things.

Cons

As a large educational institution it still gets bogged down by politics and change can be glacially slow. The culture is dependent on the division and office within which one might work. Many different cultures on campus, some of them are excellent, others are extremely toxic.

A great deal more resources should be put toward HR and organizational change management. Tapping into the rich resources available to campus through their employees would also benefit the college more than bringing in outside consultants.

It was great while attending!

Former Employee - Student Programs  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Student Programs in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Bellevue Community College part-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff is amazing and as with most educators, always looking out for your best interests EVEN WHILE ON THE CLOCK! Amazing environment, and a lot of fun!

Cons

It was part time, so when school was out, you were out of a job. But that is to be executed when working on campus!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn entry-level customer service skills

Former Employee - Bookstore Clerk and Customer Service  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Bookstore Clerk and Customer Service in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Bellevue Community College part-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of their employees are students. Therefore, minor mistake is tolerated. You can save those moments to improve yourself.

Cons

Not much of career opportunities. The job would be more suitable for students who don't have specific career experience yet.

I wish you have more career resources for your current student employees

"Some good instructors but horrible International Student Programs"

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Bellevue Community College full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Classes and instructions are great, you can generally expect that instructors are competent and motivated. You can count on them for support. Students work on so much stuff that there's always an opportunity to meet new friends.

Cons

-International Student Programs staff is the worse: their interest is your money and how much they can loot out of students, especially when students are almost at the end of their degree. They are well-trained and work in hands with the international health provider. International Students are not considered as students, just as good as credit cards.

-The director was contacted by international students but he did not provide a solution.

-Some Caucasians instructors cannot stand other than their type during class, yes there are discrimination.

-Management do not implement for themselves what instructors are teaching students.

Listen to the students’ voices and concerns and treat all students equally.

Positive place to work and meet interesting people!

Current Employee - Academic Tutor  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Academic Tutor in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Bellevue Community College part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very organized and positive environment! Good pay!

Cons

No much that I can think of right now

Increase IT department

Math Tutor

Current Employee - Math Tutor  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Math Tutor in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Bellevue Community College part-time for more than a year

Pros

Constantly be challenged to remember all the math. It is very refreshing.

Cons

Limit to number of hours for students.

Longevity of a state job.

I worked at Bellevue Community College

Pros

Good people, lasting relationships. More than enough people to make the organization run- which might be something to look at from upper leadership.

Cons

Many hoops of fire to jump through to get a task completed. Accountability is an issue.

Great environment & management, satisfying work, help available

Former Employee - Academic Tutor  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Academic Tutor in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Bellevue Community College part-time for more than a year

Pros

Training is thorough and purposeful. The work environment here is great - very pleasant, friendly coworkers and management, and conversations are kept professional. Nearly all experiences with students were enjoyable, and it is very satisfying to inspire their confidence and watch them improve. Management is happy to hear you out and offer resources if you want to brush up more on your subject. The core value of this workplace was no shame in seeking help, be it tutor or student.

Cons

The academic subject can determine how much or little work you have hourly; math can make for a lot of hours of individual appointments, but other subjects may receive few individual appointments, or mostly empty drop-in sessions. Opportunities for raises and higher positions were uncommon when I worked here.

I would support the idea of having more tutors visit classes on the first day and speak to students about dissolving the stigma of seeking tutoring, as well as directly asking the students which times would work best for drop-in tutoring hours.

Also, it may be helpful to change the necessary grade limit to obtain an individual tutoring pass; something like a B-, which is still a fairly shaky understanding and ease with a subject, would draw in more students than the C- or lower limit that was in place when I was around. They would probably not need as much time or help, just a push to fix their misunderstandings and get closer to an A.

Equity for students is progressing, but equity for employees has a long way to go.

I worked at Bellevue Community College

Pros

Nice working environment/campus
    Many friendly employees
    Good benefits
    Discounted tuition for employees
    $15.00 per quarter parking
    Sustainable and "green" focus

Cons

Hierarchical, with tenured faculty treated as kings and queens, and adjunct faculty (the majority of the instructors) struggling to be assigned more classes or trying to get hired for the few full time tenure track positions. This creates tension among the faculty that is very obvious. Exempt administrators, such as program managers and coordinators, are even lower on the hierarchy, and the classified staff are at the bottom of the "food chain." Everyone seems to be working in a silo; I never once heard the word 'team" used.

There is little chance for advancement out of your employment category and income is frozen.

The new college president truly wants equity for all employees. I hope he is able to make progress given the political climate and the tension between administrators and the tenured faculty.

Worked for Bellevue Community College? Contribute to the Community!