Bellevue University

2.6

CEO

Adjunct Professor

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Bellevue University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexibility to do my job from anywhere on my own time. I get a fair amount of autonomy in the way I do my job. Nontraditonal students with work experience and strong desire to improve themselves.

Cons

Administratively, I had to keep on top of everything myself when hired. Curriculum is extremely prescriptive and doesn't leave much room for influence over the 'how.'

Make more of a connection from the learnings to the workplace. Make creating resumes, cover letters, etc., part of the program to prepare students to enter the profession they are pursuing.

Was once a great place, now not so much

I have been working at Bellevue University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people I work with.

Cons

Leadership tends to come up with these "great" ideas without considering that they impact the people down the line. Pay is horrible - the so-called "compensation review was a joke at best leading to pennies for anyone below management. No one expects the "pay for performance" to lead to any increase. Almost no chance for advancement unless you're one of the "pets" of the upper management.

Instead of saying you care about your employees, put that into action and give the people working hard hours with no recognition some real increases instead of yourselves.

Worst of the Worst

Current Employee - Program Manager in Bellevue, NE
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Bellevue, NE

I have been working at Bellevue University full-time

Pros

Some great people who work (or are trapped) there. Campus is very nice looking although you rarely see anyone walking around.

Cons

Business disguised as a university. Treat students as customers, so employees are considered customer service reps. Must be the worst administrators ever. and watch how they treat you if you disagree. Had a colleague leave after many stellar accomplishments and she was treated so poorly. Pay is at low end of scale. There are definitely favorites who receive special treatment, but the rest of us are forced to work a ridiculous amount of hours with little appreciation. If you want to donate years off your life, then this is your place to work.

What has not already been said here, but to stop pretending to be a real school and just come out as a business that provides diplomas for a fee. Putting on blinders is not helping and perhaps you need to look a little closer as to why so many people are unhappy and leaving.

The Great Unknown

I worked at Bellevue University

Pros

Flexibility. Great balancing my work and life. Great people to work with at all levels.

Cons

Possibility of getting downsized from one fiscal year to the next. Have not had a review in 2 years. No room for promotion despite great accomplishments.

Give recognition for those who go above and beyond. Before any new programs/processes become the law of the land, ask the little people who have to work the frontline if it is feasible.

Stressful and negative work life

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Bellevue, NE
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Bellevue, NE

I have been working at Bellevue University as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The students that care to learn. Getting to make new friends. Campus is nice. There is a group of faculty that support one another.

Cons

Everything else! No such thing as a work-life balance. Business model leaves faculty on the outside of the door. Yes, it is an educational institution but focus is skewed - it is no longer about educating it is about numbers/dollars. Extremely stressful and negative environment that is absolutely not faculty supportive.

Quit - now, please!

Could be a good place to work if it weren't for the nepotism going on...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Bellevue University

Pros

The immediate person I reported to was really good with training. Not overwhelming in work load.

Cons

Members of the same family working in the same department makes for a very negative work environment and if one member doesn't like you, then you are out. They will actually go OVER your supervisor's head to their family member to complain instead of going through the proper channels. It was so bad I quit a job I was going to really like.

Do what is best for your University instead of few individuals who happen to belong to the same family.

Acts like a for-profit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, NE

I worked at Bellevue University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people that work there genuinely care about students and offering quality learning programs. Some of the academic programs are world class, but others seriously lack relevancy and the curriculum is elementary level at best. Great benefits - some of the best anywhere around: tuition assistance for employee and family, matching 403b (up to 8%), and good health insurance for single people ($69 avg/mon). It gets expensive if you are getting coverage for a family ($500+/mon).

Cons

Culture has changed to have a more "corporate" feel. Everything is about the bottom line and revenue generation. Lack of students on campus. Most advising and enrollment is done online and over the phone. Students may never actually meet their advisor. Online platform is antiquated even though they continue to do updates. It is still not as robust as what it could be. Lack of guidance for how to get promoted - there are no clear pathways. It seems that most people are hand selected based on favoritism.

Set clear expectations, treat people fairly, and get back to the basics of the mission - serve adult learners with programs that are priced relevant for today's economy, and provides skills necessary to compete in a global job market. The next six months will be telling as to whether or not the university can remain afloat, or if it will be bought out by a for-profit.

Office Assistant

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Bellevue, NE
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Bellevue, NE

I have been working at Bellevue University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours and bi-week wages

Cons

minimum wages and lots of work

Online Adjunct at Bellevue -- Overall, a good job.

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Bellevue University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can work remotely. Well paid for the amount of hours I put in . Outstanding faculty who are great to work with. Good students doing interesting work.

Cons

Usual bureaucracy at a university.

Mis/Non communication

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, NE

I worked at Bellevue University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. There's a lot of really bright people that work there.
    2. You can finish your degree..and your family members can as well

Cons

1. Hello Right Hand, meet Left Hand... Ahh..if only people could communicate...
    2. No raises, just a straight cost of living increase each year. You get the same as the slacker next to you.
    3. Very low wages.

Transparency isn't just about what our numbers are...it's about everything that is going on that would affect the employees.