Bellin Hospital

www.bellin.org

Bellin Hospital Reviews

3.6

CEO

Excellent health care organization planning for the future.

I have been working at Bellin Hospital

Pros

This is a magnet hospital. A top 100 hospital in the country and a top 50 for cardiac outcomes.

Cons

As with the entire health care industry, reimbursement dollars are getting harder to come by all the time and that means trying to find creative ways to do what we do, with less.

Whenever dollars need to be cut, the first place they look is their biggest expense and that is the wage and benefit packages paid to their many employees. Any previous "bonus" arrangements created to cover extremely difficult staffing patterns for example, are the first to go. Insurance deductibles and/or premiums go up. Wages will stay comparable to the local market. These kinds of changes not only hurt their most import asset (their workers) it recreates the staffing problems they were trying to prevent by offering the bonuses in the first place and now when moral is low, it is even harder to get anyone to volunteer to pick up extra shifts, and overtime has been forbidden so you are trying to "force" part time people to work more hours than they agreed to. This sets up a very bad working environment for the dollars saved. I think you should give employees an opportunity to submit ideas to leadership on how they feel significant health dollars could be saved, and if they can come up with a workable idea than would save a significant amount, they would receive a one time gift of...40 hours of paid time off, or $1,000 or something. It would be better for morale and might save more money than and improve morale.

IT department is stressful

Current Employee - Information Technology in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Information Technology in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Bellin Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, great direct teammates. Stable working environment; good job security.

Cons

Pay is below market rate, and several positions in IT are hourly instead of salaried, yet management has no problems calling you at all hours of the night if something goes awry. Project management is still new and lacking, change control doesn't exist outside of whatever norms you set for your own team. Projects are always done last minute with inadequate planning and resources. Technical teams are understaffed for the size of the organization. IT management is indecisive, decisions are always last minute or non-existent.

Work on developing the project management teams. Emphasis change management and documentation. Start making decisions in a timely fashion. Beef up your security compliance - with the things I have seen, a major breach of patient information WILL occur sooner than later.

Great Team

I worked at Bellin Hospital part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Teamwork
    -Flexible scheduling with school
    -Dedicated to helping you succeed

Cons

-Sometimes called in when it was busy and did not seem appreciated by unit manager. Staff on floor was always grateful.

Sometimes the unit managers come across as power hungry, but I think you would find that anywhere and it varies from floor to floor.

IT Analyst

I have been working at Bellin Hospital full-time

Pros

This company truly cares about the people. For the most part leadership is outstanding with few exceptions. it is an open honest environment that makes you feel valued and willing to share ideas. I actually wake up and enjoy going to work! It's a real work as a team culture and everyone is willing to help each other out without this worrying about who will get credit or be noticed. It is a breath of fresh air....

Cons

Health insurance is not at all competitive. very high deductible and only 75 after that is covered. While they do contribute 600a year to try and help with part of that you are not allowed to open an HSA to help yourself save or gain the tax benefit that comes with it. Not real competitive with wages but they will pay for experience

Re look at your health plan to be more inline with others. The last thing you want is your employees stressing about how they are going to pay for their medical bills which happens to also be their own employer

nursing aid

I have been working at Bellin Hospital part-time

Pros

They take care of their employees very well. Bellin has many opportunities, is like a family, and is on the forefront of providing the best care. They are in the top 3 in the nation for heart attack survival.

Cons

There are not many cons when it comes to Bellin. Its limitations only lie in its size- at around 200 beds, it is not a medical mecca by any means.

Great nurses

Current Employee - CNA in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - CNA in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Bellin Hospital part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back environment all the time

Cons

Long walk to get to work.

Good atmosphere to work in and very community oriented

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Bellin Hospital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many great coworkers that are very skilled in what they do
    Excellent training and opportunity for advancement
    Good communcation with all departments
    Lots of ways to make a positive impact on the community

Cons

Most salaries are well under the market value (Nursing, IT, Facilities, etc.)
    High turnover - constantly training new people (usually due to aforementioned low end pay)

Generally, Bellin is a great place to work. My advice is simple, they need to invest in their employees more in order to retain them once they have mastered their trade.

Great Company Overall

Current Employee - IT Analyst I in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - IT Analyst I in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Bellin Hospital

Pros

-company overall cares about its employees
    -lots of opportunity for growth within the company
    -HR department very helpful (example: getting paperwork set for maternity leave)

Cons

-leadership within the department I work in is lacking
    -leaders often have a lack of follow-through
    -communication from leaders down to team is lacking

-need to have clear communication of expectations to employees; we can't always "fight the fires" because you didn't communicate something to us in a reasonable amount of time
    -actually think about how your employees feel; lots of discussion of "retention," but don't feel that you actually listen to our concerns

Very dissatisfied with management and level of respect..

Current Employee - Medical Records in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Medical Records in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Bellin Hospital

Pros

The hospital overall is a well-respected hospital, and I'm sure other departments have a positive vibe to them.

Cons

The management is very disrespectful towards employees. The level of communication is awful. There is favoritism galore and lots of frustration due to this. There is no opportunity for growth in this department at all.

More open communication is needed and learn to deal with all employees and not just your favorites. Listen to the employees and not talk down to them.