Bemidji State University

Updated July 28, 2014
Updated July 28, 2014

3.8

CEO

Great place for students to work!

Former Employee - Circulation Desk Worker  in  Bemidji, MN
    Former Employee - Circulation Desk Worker in Bemidji, MN

I worked at Bemidji State University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very accommodating with class schedules. Good work experience. I was able to work on homework when it was slow. Coworkers were nice. Overall a good place to work!

Cons

I worked at the Library and they had quite a bit of direct supervisor turnover, so it was hard to get a recommendation when each supervisor was only there for a year. At one point I don't think there even was a direct supervisor for circulation desk/student workers.

Great summer job

Current Employee - University Ambassador  in  Bemidji, MN
    Current Employee - University Ambassador in Bemidji, MN

I have been working at Bemidji State University as an intern for less than a year

Pros

We were essentially tours guides for prospective students. This job was a combination of 70% desk job, 30% giving tours. The admissions office was a relaxing and fun place to work.

Cons

It can be boring living in in Bemidji in the summer when you don't have friends around.

office assistant

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Bemidji, MN
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Bemidji, MN

I have been working at Bemidji State University part-time for more than a year

Pros

good hours, great manager, nice location

Cons

low pay, boring, no variation, low hours

keep it up

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not Bad

Current Employee - Student Worker  in  Bemidji, MN
    Current Employee - Student Worker in Bemidji, MN

I have been working at Bemidji State University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As a student worker, it's a good place to be. For the most part you will be dealing with great people. In Addition, Bemidji State has a great location and focus on being environmentally friendly. The teaching faculty are general high quality and most of the support staff as well.

Cons

The wage cap is pretty low and I don't believe it's been increased at all the entire time I've been here, so I wonder how long it has been the same.

Decent job for a student

I worked at Bemidji State University

Pros

Very easy, I worked at one of the dorm hall's front desk, pretty much did homework most of the time, friends were allowed to visit you. Had one GREAT supervisor one year.

Cons

My second supervisor was terrible. She had some weird connection to my boyfriend and she hated him, so she took it out on me. She scheduled me to work the day before Christmas break even though I told her I couldn't (I was going 4 hours south and my ride was leaving that same day) then she texted me during break saying that I should have worked. Very unprofessional.

Make sure your employees are not taking personal vendettas out on other employees.

They are a great place to work for

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Bemidji, MN
    Former Employee - Teacher in Bemidji, MN

I worked at Bemidji State University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, team meetings, great faculty & staff

Cons

Management is changing how BSU operates. Becoming more of a private business than a state university

Keep the students and area's needs in mind. This was the best school for training teachers and for teachers to advance their degrees. It no longer is.

Good place to get a job as a student

Current Employee - Student Worker
    Current Employee - Student Worker

I have been working at Bemidji State University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Can work around your school schedule
    Raises for every 250 hours you were (there is a max)

Cons

Can only work 20 hours/week max except on breaks you can work 40

A place that will kill your enthusiasm for work and life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bemidji, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bemidji, MN

I worked at Bemidji State University full-time

Pros

In this economy any job is a job. Unions are in place and that means that compensation and benefits are pretty good, as long as you can keep the job.

Cons

Continual cuts have left too few people trying to cover too many areas. All of the cuts in staff and faculty in the last year have been demoralizing and created an all time low in morale. A lot of people are waiting for the other shoe to drop. Keep an eye on student enrollment numbers before taking a job there.

Be sure that the people who are offering up information actually know what they are talking about,

Work Study in the Business Department

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Bemidji, MN
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Bemidji, MN

I have been working at Bemidji State University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The professors and the office manager are great to work with, you will spend a lot of your time correcting tests and running errands with the occasional moving of office furniture. It was a good time, plus you get a quarter raise after so many hours. I think the maximum when I went there was $9/hr

Cons

Nothing really notable, sometimes it was hard to get all of the tests done when you had your own classes to worry about. When you have multiple things to pick up from the print shop, bring a cart. The last thing you want are Accounting tests scattered all over the street

The office manager is an amazing lady with a heart of gold. She does so much for that office and loves doing it. Give her a raise!

good

Current Employee - Student Employee  in  Bemidji, MN
    Current Employee - Student Employee in Bemidji, MN

I have been working at Bemidji State University

Pros

great technology and staff to work with.

Cons

upper management is cutting back

Worked for Bemidji State University? Contribute to the Community!