Bemis Manufacturing

Updated February 6, 2015
Updated February 6, 2015
3.7

James Feiertag

Great family orientated company to work for!

I have been working at Bemis Manufacturing

Pros

Bemis is a great place to work where each person, regardless of title, has a voice. They care about their employees both professionally and personally and stress the importance of family first. I've felt valued and appreciated since I began my career with Bemis and really enjoy the open door policy. Bemis puts trust into their employees and allows for flexible schedules. They support growing in your career and offer many advancements opportunities.
    Overall, Bemis is by far the best company I've worked for.

Cons

I can't think of any cons to working at Bemis.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Working at Bemis was very interesting and the co-workers made it enjoyable.

Former Intern - Accounting Intern in Terre Haute, IN
    Former Intern - Accounting Intern in Terre Haute, IN

I worked at Bemis Manufacturing as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, fun environment, friendly people.

Cons

Sometimes not enough work causing you to be bored.

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at Bemis Manufacturing

Pros

I feel like the work means something and is contributing to the big picture. I really like that I am trusted to do my work and we work great as a team with everyone willing to chip in where needed. My department is flexible and knows that things happen in your outside-of-work life.

Cons

I don't have any cons about the company so far!

Great place to work

I have been working at Bemis Manufacturing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for job growth. A majority of employees have worked at Bemis for more than 20 years and worked in a variety of positions both on the manufacturing floor or in the office. One of a few companies that promotes due to hard work and dedication without requiring a college degree. Great leadership from the CEO! Having an open door policy makes you want to participate more as your opinion really does matter.

Cons

Benefits package is pretty good, but still some area's for improvement.

Good intern program although they run out of projects to give.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Bemis Manufacturing as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Hand-son projects and having to make real-time decisions.

Cons

Not a lot to do once done with projects.

Intern program needs improvement

Reliable Work Force in the Community

I have been working at Bemis Manufacturing

Pros

In the midst of the 2008 recession, the company did everything possible to make sure that layoffs did not happen. Some decent growth opportunities and the pay is livable.

Cons

It's not what you know, but rather who you know that will allow growth in the company. First shift is impossible to achieve and favoritism is the norm.

A Casual Local Manufactuer

I worked at Bemis Manufacturing

Pros

Good People
    Relatively Casual Environment
    Long Lasting Company

Cons

Non-Management - Managers are tasked with doing so much that they have no time to actually manage, plan or coordinate their departments efforts
    Lack of professional growth - there's not a lot of room for advancement
    Company "Politics" - There's plenty of good people getting thrown under the bus and the wrong people being advanced.
    Lots of Lip service - little action
    Meetings to have Meetings

Get rid of a lot of the enterprise bureaucratic mentality. If you want to support employees career advancements, don't craft some catchy title idea that just gets filed and ignored. Empower and encourage employees to grow in their profession by listening to their ideas and having the power to approve simple training experiences (local classes, conferences, etc).

Highly enlighten,satisfying, manufacturing job

Current Employee - Thermoset Technician in Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Thermoset Technician in Sheboygan Falls, WI

I have been working at Bemis Manufacturing part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

greatest asset to my time at Bemis is the valued education of watching the manufacturing process is applied and how to utilize that skill in Mechanical Design.

Cons

The biggest con for me is the ability to get a first shift position with a full time position on the manufacturing floor,which drives me to accomplish my goal of becoming a Mechanical Designer

This is the only business I have worked for on a full-time basis for a reason!

I have been working at Bemis Manufacturing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family owned, family run. You can go from the shop floor into management positions with some hard work, dedication to the company, a desire to be a leader, patience, and the ability to treat people with the dignity and respect they deserve. There are examples everywhere within the company of people that applied themselves and stepped into roles ranging from Customer Service to Operations Management to Quality Systems Management with little or no post high school education. There are also people that choose to stay in/excel at the job they were hired to do, which is also respected by the owners. This is a company where you can write your own ticket if you want to by simply applying yourself because the Bemis family believes their employees are the most important asset they have.

Cons

Not enough management across all shifts to help guide the workforce, but that is changing now that Production Leaders are being hired for the off shifts. The negative voices seem to be heard much more than the positive ones, but that is probably the case anywhere you work. Especially with a family run business where the owners truly do care about the employees. Do we have some issues? Absolutely, but they are minor. If the issues weren't minor we wouldn't have a workforce with an average age of 48 and an average seniority rate of 20 years. Nobody would stick around if this was a horrible place to work.

I wouldn't change a thing!

Great Company!

Current Employee - Employee in Sheboygan Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Employee in Sheboygan Falls, WI

I have been working at Bemis Manufacturing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Bemis is the home of opportunity. There are many people who started out as operators, setup, sector leaders, etc., who now are mangers in their respective divisions. Hard work, tenacity and treating people with dignity and respect will create many opportunities for you at Bemis. Employee empowerment is alive and well at Bemis Manufacturing Company!!

Cons

Bemis has been around since 1901. From 1901 - 2014 there has never been a layoff, even when the economy a number of years ago took a nose dive, not one employee lost out on hours. The 40 hour work week remained in tact, and in fact, some overtime was still available on Saturdays! I guess the only Con might be that employees might be expected to work more than they wish.

Under the direction of Peter Bemis, the company has flourished for many years. Since Peter's brother Richard Bemis has come back as President and CEO, the company has not missed a beat. Keep up the great work and lets finish the next 100 years with a flurry!

Bemis Manufacturing Photos