Bemis

Add Photos

Bemis President and CEO Henry J. Theisen

Henry J. Theisen

Average employer

Market Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Bemis

ProsFriendly environment. Possible to work there and have a balance between life and work.

ConsNot enough career opportunities for women.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide clearer direction on skill sets needed for future advancement opportunities. Do more training for leadership on management skills.

Bemis IT is a great place to work

Technical Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Bemis

ProsGlobal company that has a small company family feel to it. Bemis allows most employees to leave to take care of family or personal issues with no questions asked. Company is progessive with technology which allows you to work with a lot of great technologies. Very little micromanagement which allows you the freedom to do your job without someone staring over your shoulder all of the time. They tend to give you "cost of living" increase every year.

ConsIT does not have a ton of visibility from the Senior Level Management which allows for a lack in urgency in keeping up with needs especially in the facilities. This is also caused by the fact that IT has done such a good job of meeting the needs of the company that there is no perceived problem. The separation of IT between Neenah and Oshkosh creates a disconnect between what to two areas are working on which can cause issues. Certain divisions or departments have too leniency to do their own things which creates support issues and undermines policies. Salaries tend to be 10-20% below industry for the size of the company. No review process just standard raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the great environment and add value by giving IT the tools they need. Do a salary review based on what the employees are doing not what their title is and compare it to the rest of the industry. Get IT department back to one facility.

It's a family company, with all that comes with that

Shirley, MA

I worked at Bemis

ProsFirst, the company is very important in the surrounding towns: it's a big employer locally, and the owners (the Howard Family) make a lot of local investments and coordinate a lot of volunteer work. The benefits include access to a small onsite gym, family healthplan with no premium, and a pension plan in addtion to a 401K plan.

ConsIf you've come from a larger corporate environment, you may be disappointed. The management is rather amateurish. My impression is that the current generation of family ownership is very civic minded, but lacks business experience. Middle-management especially is homegrown and very week. This could be an opportunity if you have a background in modern, metrics based management...you would be bringing religion to the wilderness here.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough it's worked well for you so far, you may be left behind unless you embrace modern management techniques. Senior-management would especially benefit from some more seasoned hands.

You could not work for a more company more hostile towards its lower level employees

Press Operator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bemis

ProsIts a pay check and has decent benefits. But they will never hire another full time employee only season help and temp workers.

ConsConstant policy changes designed to write up and fire as many hourly employees as possible.
Constant harassment from management.
Now matter what you do or how good you do it it is never enough.
Unequal treatment between employees.
They hire people to run departments that have no clue about the production process for the department.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit changing policies every week. When your employees tell there is a problem listen. Employee morale is important and right now it cant get much lower. Learn to cooperate with the bargaining unit. They are not your enemy but are there to help.

Nice place to work

I have been working at Bemis

ProsWorldwide leader in plastics manufacturing. Very large company. Good benefits. I am glad to work for such a stable company.

ConsI believe there are times when the sales force and the rest of the company don't communicate as well as they should.

Exposed to opportunities to better my career

I worked at Bemis

ProsDifferent opportunities throughout the country and you are given the chance to explore these opportunities. Smalleer plants do give more of a personal job.

ConsLarge company, nothing is personal. Some jobs the pay isn't at where the competitors are paying for comparable jobs and positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds more focus on rewarding the production associates. This is where the money and buisiness opportunities are made or lossed.

very Educational

Mechanical Engineering Co-op (Former Employee)

I worked at Bemis

ProsThe company supports personal growth and learning very well. Big company with small company feel which makes it an easy place to work.

ConsSome of the facilities use union labor, it make it hard to get work done because the negative attitude of union workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the unions out of the shop to keep a positive attitude in the work place and keep productivity up.

Excellent place to work.

I worked at Bemis

ProsPeople are great to work with.
Large company culture
Bemis' Products are located in every aisle of the grocery store

ConsLarge company culture
Human Resources department can be tough to deal with, too bureaucratic
Bemis doesn't understand their key assets are employees.\

I loved most aspects of my job even during the stressful economic times that the company experienced in recent years.

I worked at Bemis

ProsI felt there was great interaction between departments to maintain a cutting edge within the industry. The manufacturing facility in Indiana managed to recover during economic challenges that required substantial downsizing.

ConsIt was very difficult finding opportunities for advancement. Most exempt employees worked very long hours on a regular basis, particularly during the economic hard times.

Bemis is truely a professional company with professional people

Supervisor I T Audit (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bemis

ProsBemis treats employees with dignity, respect, and a professionalism unmatched in the country. Bemis finds, trains, and keeps excellent employees.

ConsIf you enjoy the northern states, like Minnesota or Wisconsin, then Bemis headquarters and location of employment may be a perfect fit for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the Good work. Your company is truely a wonderful environment to work and grow a career. Best wishes to your fine organization.

Worked for Bemis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bemis reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bemis CEO Henry J. Theisen. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Bemis employees.