Ben E. Keith

Updated October 24, 2014
Updated October 24, 2014
2.6

Robert Hallam

All but the last couple of month was a DREAM!!!

Former Employee - Purchasing Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Purchasing Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Ben E. Keith full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part there are lots of wonderful people running this company and I don't mean the ones that do lunch at the City Club. I am talking about the ones that DO the work.

Cons

I was screwed over by a "male" DSM that was put into a position he was not qualified for, couldn't handle it, had NO BACKBONE and got rid of me so a friend of his he had known from a BAR could have my position. He drank a lot!! so they must have had a deal worked out on his bar tabs.

Watch out for the male chauvinist as they pretty much run rampant. Women DO NOT get a fair chance at anything!!!! BEWARE FEMALES!!!!! VERY poor management if it was not for the little people that did the work they would be in TROUBLE!

No chance,No fairness..

Former Employee - Driver
    Former Employee - Driver

I worked at Ben E. Keith full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Coworkers are what i miss most.I miss some really good people i was with each day.

Cons

Extremely quick to terminate.Not all the branches are this way,but the one i was under was governed by a person that should not be in the position they are in.

Why would you allow a certain Branch Manager to employ nearly all of the driver force as his relatives?Making numbers is all that matters it seems,allowing this Manager to be full of himself,borderline racist,and a complete Ahole for a leader.Once you disagree or voice your opinion with this Manager,you put the noose around your own neck,and any thing you misstep becomes your plank.I was told Corporate told this Manager to manage this way.It was so bad,our own Transportation Supervisor wanted out of his position.Certain "drivers" even were given special treatment for their love and loyalty to this Manager..Examples-Assigning new equipment to them(even though they jacknifed a company truck one year earlier),making sure their job was as simplified as possible,and overlooking anything they did.Its truly a shame the company allows this to go on.

The worst 2 years of my professional career!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Ben E. Keith full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Brokers were enjoyable to work with. New ideas to bring to the kitchen at home. Private company with profit sharing plan

Cons

If a customer does not pay their bill the rep is responsible. Corporate has the wrong people running the Houston branch. Constantly told not to sell and do my job but my pay is based off of how much you sell. Management is constantly contradicting what they say and are very deceptive to customers.

Let your reps sell groceries. Houston will never grow if you do not let your reps do their jobs. Take note of who spends all their time at the office and tell them to get to work rather than giving them accounts because they are good at brown nosing. Hire a few managers from sysco and let them show you how it is done.

Physically demanding job

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Ben E. Keith full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good compensation, work outside, exercise. Most positions don't need a college degree to a good paying job within the company. Some upward mobility.

Cons

Long hours, work outside (winter), customers can be demanding. Work days begin at 6 am and don't finish until 5 pm or later in certain situations. Difficult to properly service customers due to number assigned to each route.

Horrible!

I worked at Ben E. Keith full-time

Pros

Some free food occasionally, nothing else

Cons

Cheating on salary. Cheating in many ways to let you get pay less and not upon policy without notice. Can't check hours that you get pay after having the new system. Unfair company. Kiss ass is the way to promote and get higher salary. Stupid rotate work. Compel you to do things that you don't want to do. Always try to find who make mistake. Not equal compensation even same level or work harder. Careful when you negotiate!

Consider..please consider!

Very unpleasant ,not heard as an employee. Company values are not enforced

Former Employee - Service Driver in Collin, TX
    Former Employee - Service Driver in Collin, TX

I worked at Ben E. Keith full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to obtain cdl thru company

Cons

Will not get promoted in the company unless you kiss a lot of butt !!! Or if u are a friend or family.
    A lot of favoritism discrimination involved in the collin county division .

Look at your ASM that you hired based on seniority. Bad move on your part maybe you should look at Your ASM qualifications . so many hard working employees have left this area due to the fact of your ASM 's poor managing skills, broken confidentiality. Antagonizing behavior ,favoritism ,and constant harassment . And yet upper management turns the other cheek.

not a good job

Current Employee - Driver in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Driver in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Ben E. Keith full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good money if you kiss ass

Cons

if you don't do what they want you to do they will try to get you out there by drop all your hour down

none

Horrible!

I worked at Ben E. Keith full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fort Worth branch was wonderful......................best company I ever worked for and loved every minute.

Cons

Transferred to Houston Branch and was let go for no REASON other than my CM wanted a friend of his to have my position so he set it up to look like I was not doing my job................very POOR Management in Houston Branch! I was cheated out of my job of 12+yrs and devastated! Everyone in Ft. Worth knew me and that I was an awesome employee!

Look into this and get my job back...............................please!!!

Hard work and pay less

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ben E. Keith full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing to share. Bad environment.

Cons

Very stingy on salary. If you take day off or you ill.

To be fair for salary, see low level have hard work but less pay than other!!! Some always play game on the phone. Pay attention on Accounting and sale department

Good Ol Boy Company

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Ben E. Keith full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family Owned, Texas Based Company, with a certain amount of freedom to develop your own territory and customer base. They have a vast selection of products to offer. Competitive pay and great benefits. Quality produce.

Cons

They are stuck in the shadow of Sysco. You will work 7 days a week and many nights. A CRONIC Lack of support from transportation and routing. The pricing on several key segments centered on Tex Mex and similar restaurant models makes it impossible to stay competitive on rice, beans, and cheese. If you are on the "good Side" of management. Then the goals set by management are far more attainable and you will be handed a lot of existing clients and leads.

Give merit to what a DSR does in the field. Base the goals on the actual work they are doing. Not the personal relationship that you have with that individual. Adding a 100% sales increase for 3 straight months just so you can document an unsatisfactory job... Uncool.