Benchmark Electronics

Benchmark Electronics President & CEO Gayla J. Delly

Gayla J. Delly

I loved Benchmark Electronics

Warehouse Work Order Management Specialist (Former Employee) Concord, CA

Prosfamily oriented, not too big, not too small, hang in their be a good employee and they will offer you permanent placement.

ConsIndustry is cyclical. Ups and Downs. hiring and layoffs dependent on ups and downs of industry.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work.

Not family friendly

Repair/Rework Technician (Current Employee) Winona, MN

ProsGet experience to go somewhere else.

ConsToo worried about getting product out not doing quality job. Training is not all it cracked up to be here management gives the education speech but doesn't follow through.....

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain people better to function in this technical environment before you through them into production. More time training in the beginning means a better educated work force not just number pushers.

Don't Work Here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Angleton, TX

ProsOne good thing about working here is there was no customer contact and hours were a straight shift.

ConsPay was bad, they pay the men more. Most Supervisors were unprofessional. The working atmosphere was bad, no moral support. Although there were some nice people, I found most to be uptight. And for heaven's sake, don't ever take anyone's chair!! Benefits were fair as well as time off.

Advice to Senior ManagementAct more professional.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK place to work, but with little chance of bettering your career.

Machine Operator II (Current Employee) Winona, MN

ProsGreat benefits
    Great HR staff
    Supervisors genuinely care for there employees.

ConsNot much for improving oneself
    Corporate cares more for the business than the employees

Butt kissers and Asian that's all they will hired in Huntsville Alabama.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPoor Quality, workmanship, likes to party. If you don't buy management gifts or bed hopp yoy nobody. I would not work for this company.

ConsNew management that knows what their doing.

Advice to Senior Managementneed a hole new crew in management and supervisors get rid of the old and bring in the new

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Winona, MN

ProsThe people. The work. I got along with everyone there.

ConsLay offs. Direction from trainers. I don't really have that many cons.

Not a good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Angleton, TX

ProsI met some of the nicest people I know here. Since the work environment is unhealthy the employees rely on one another heavily for support and encouragement since it will not come from management.

ConsNo training or other development opportunites, micro-management is the norm and no direction from the leadership team. Management does not know how to manage by performance objectives or set attainable goals so they manage by the number of hours they see you at work. It is not necessary to add value or actually do work, just be present all day, every day. Employee morale is very low.

Advice to Senior ManagementObtain executive coaching/training/professional development for the entire senior leadership team and set expectations for improved leadership skills. Measure actual improvements to leadership skill sets and demote or terminate those leaders who cannot or will not change.

No room for growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Nashua, NH

ProsCo-workers are wonderful, casual attire is a plus, very customer focused

ConsMicromanagement from General Manager, promises of growth upon employment with no results, poor salary increases even with outstanding reviews, pay is low, morale is low, not employee friendly

Advice to Senior ManagementStart focusing on your employees and work on boosting morale, stop micromanaging and preventing middle management from doing their jobs

End of quarter push

Sustaining Test Engineer I (Former Employee) Winona, MN

ProsThe people that were worked with.

ConsTrying to squeeze the most out of quarter of the year.

Get your experience, then quit and stay far far away from this place.

Production Planner/Scheduler (Former Employee) Angleton, TX

ProsGreat opportunity to gain some solid supply chain knowledge and experience in a manufacturing company especially if you are a recent college graduate. They will pay for your APICS training but not the test, which is still a plus nonetheless. Sick days are unlimited so use them for all your job interviews in the future. Turnover rate is very high, so there are ample opportunities for promotion. Your 401k package will be vested after one year of employment and benefits aren't too horrible.

ConsDuring my interview with this company, my manager at the time stressed to me that there will be lots of training and support from the production control team. In fact, she explicitly told me that my knowledge of planning and the products I plan will be extensively tested before I begin any scheduling/planning related work. Since I was hired, I barely see her or anyone in my department lend me any support nor training, yet they were quick to reprimand me when I made mistakes. There was no knowledge test at all since I came on board and I felt like she lied to me just to sell me this position. My knowledge of products and planning came mostly from the engineering department that knew far more than anyone in the production control department. After awhile, I lost all respect for my manager and my negativity and resentment showed... the ones with a college education in that department eventually all left for greater opportunities/better job environments and the turnover rate was by far the highest in that department. She gave me possibly the worst review ever in the history of all Benchmark but nothing on that review was weighed objectively. It was subjective and feelings-based and I laughed out loud as it was read. I had no control over some of the criteria which I was evaluated on either but my/anyone's concerns were never taken seriously by her, and I think this is one of the reasons why all of us in that department stopped caring. I know I put in extra hours to learn on my own and spent extra time to compile the many spreadsheets and none of that was reflected on my performance review. Enough of my rants... in the end money talks and Benchmark does not pay competitively for any position - you feel like you are given peanuts for the amount of time and effort you put in and that should be all the reason to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not lie to your team, be supportive, do train your employees properly, recognize hard work, try to be more knowledgable with the products that you manage, interact with your employees and listen to them because they do have some good ideas. Also, do not delegate all your daily work to everyone and disappear for a day. Set a good example to your enployees - if you don't want someone taking an hour and 15 minute lunch, maybe you should set the tone and not do so youself. Last but not least, pay competitively to retain your talent!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Benchmark Electronics? Contribute to the Community!