Benchmark Electronics

No room for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Benchmark Electronics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Co-workers are wonderful, casual attire is a plus, very customer focused

Cons

Micromanagement from General Manager, promises of growth upon employment with no results, poor salary increases even with outstanding reviews, pay is low, morale is low, not employee friendly

Start focusing on your employees and work on boosting morale, stop micromanaging and preventing middle management from doing their jobs

End of quarter push

Former Employee - Sustaining Test Engineer I  in  Winona, MN
    Former Employee - Sustaining Test Engineer I in Winona, MN

I worked at Benchmark Electronics full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people that were worked with.

Cons

Trying to squeeze the most out of quarter of the year.

Get your experience, then quit and stay far far away from this place.

Former Employee - Production Planner/Scheduler  in  Angleton, TX
    Former Employee - Production Planner/Scheduler in Angleton, TX

I worked at Benchmark Electronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to gain some solid supply chain knowledge and experience in a manufacturing company especially if you are a recent college graduate. They will pay for your APICS training but not the test, which is still a plus nonetheless. Sick days are unlimited so use them for all your job interviews in the future. Turnover rate is very high, so there are ample opportunities for promotion. Your 401k package will be vested after one year of employment and benefits aren't too horrible.

Cons

During my interview with this company, my manager at the time stressed to me that there will be lots of training and support from the production control team. In fact, she explicitly told me that my knowledge of planning and the products I plan will be extensively tested before I begin any scheduling/planning related work. Since I was hired, I barely see her or anyone in my department lend me any support nor training, yet they were quick to reprimand me when I made mistakes. There was no knowledge test at all since I came on board and I felt like she lied to me just to sell me this position. My knowledge of products and planning came mostly from the engineering department that knew far more than anyone in the production control department. After awhile, I lost all respect for my manager and my negativity and resentment showed... the ones with a college education in that department eventually all left for greater opportunities/better job environments and the turnover rate was by far the highest in that department. She gave me possibly the worst review ever in the history of all Benchmark but nothing on that review was weighed objectively. It was subjective and feelings-based and I laughed out loud as it was read. I had no control over some of the criteria which I was evaluated on either but my/anyone's concerns were never taken seriously by her, and I think this is one of the reasons why all of us in that department stopped caring. I know I put in extra hours to learn on my own and spent extra time to compile the many spreadsheets and none of that was reflected on my performance review. Enough of my rants... in the end money talks and Benchmark does not pay competitively for any position - you feel like you are given peanuts for the amount of time and effort you put in and that should be all the reason to leave.

Do not lie to your team, be supportive, do train your employees properly, recognize hard work, try to be more knowledgable with the products that you manage, interact with your employees and listen to them because they do have some good ideas. Also, do not delegate all your daily work to everyone and disappear for a day. Set a good example to your enployees - if you don't want someone taking an hour and 15 minute lunch, maybe you should set the tone and not do so youself. Last but not least, pay competitively to retain your talent!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to get experience but need more long term career opportunities

I have been working at Benchmark Electronics full-time

Pros

Great Co-workers, focus is on customer service, stable financials, high integrity

Cons

micromanaged from the top, fail to develop leadership within middle management, little opportunity for career advancement - new trend is to hire from outside the company

need more focus on long term strategy, get serious with HR functions and employee development

Profitable company but little direction from managment

I worked at Benchmark Electronics full-time

Pros

Profitable company in spite of problems

Cons

Management was not engaged with employee develpment

Insure managers are actively managing not reacting. Communicate the companies strategy.

Great place to work - engineering dept

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Winona, MN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Winona, MN

I have been working at Benchmark Electronics full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great variety of engineering work combined with a management team that respects the employees.

Cons

There are very few cons.. Benchmark is a very enjoyable place to work

Multiplicity

Former Employee - Production  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Production in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Benchmark Electronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good personnel to work with despite marginal systems & processes. Working level staff joined together to conduct daily business to the best of their ability.

Cons

Very limited resources- personnel workload described as 1,5X workload on each employee. Consistent symptoms of 2.5-3X workload. Unspoken rule to work Saturdays( even if personnel have children). Encouraged to bring children to work while personnel worked on Saturdays and Sundays. Weekends uncompensated as a rule. The work must get done regardless...

Rationalize what you do well and make a profit for sustainability. Bench should be used as case study for what not to do in a business setting and survive, How is that possible? Large amounts of money can be pumped into a breakeven division for an overall net gain? Is that really happening? Accounting & Finance is real interesting.

A employer who thinks of the company and customers then employees

I have been working at Benchmark Electronics full-time

Pros

Decent pay,
    Occasional employee recognition

Cons

Occasional overtime,
    Occasional long hours

I learned a lot, and significantly increased my knowledge of Engineering aspects not seen in the classroom.

Former Employee - MCAD Intern  in  Rochester, MN
    Former Employee - MCAD Intern in Rochester, MN

I worked at Benchmark Electronics as an intern for less than a year

Pros

They are a very friendly company. The company also values family; this being said they are very understanding when issues come up that result in missing time at the office.

Cons

There is a lot of waiting around at times because of slow employees not making deadlines.

Great experience

Current Employee - Production Control Expeditor
    Current Employee - Production Control Expeditor

I have been working at Benchmark Electronics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn so many different traits with cross training
    Give people opportunity to grow

Cons

Being with the way the economy has been
    Pay is not gret

Worked for Benchmark Electronics? Contribute to the Community!