Benchmark Family Services

Updated September 23, 2014
Updated September 23, 2014
2.2

CEO

Not bad place to work - great place to gain experience out of college.

Former Employee - Case Manager
    Former Employee - Case Manager

I worked at Benchmark Family Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to gain experience out of college. The flexible schedule is great and my co-workers were awesome.

Cons

Being on call can be consuming. There is some micromanagement. Can be frustrating to not be able to make decisions for the youth.

Appreciate employees...

No Growth!

Current Employee - Account Clerk in New Carlisle, OH
    Current Employee - Account Clerk in New Carlisle, OH

I have been working at Benchmark Family Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros are the calm atmosphere and the automatic 30 days vacation from the moment of higher.

Cons

There is no room for growth and the pay is below the national average. Company uses the fact that they are non for profit as an excuse to underpay their employees.

Get on board with the national average and pay the employees what they are worth; as well as get a handle on the gossip train that rolls through every week. All employees are adults try making them act that way and not like little children who have to run to the boss and tell them everything they see.

You don't want to work there!!!

I worked at Benchmark Family Services

Pros

Foster families & kids, some co workers, and.... That's about it.

Cons

LOW bottom of the barrel salary, NO adequate training or support, vague job duties (which are 24/7 and never end) on call with no pay, can't use flex time, constantly working unpaid overtime, requests for time off DENIED, incompetent and careless management. There's lots more to say but no need ... Believe me; this place will have you burnt out and totally exhausted in 6 months or less!! Oh, and the agency's #1 priority is MONEY, not kids and most definitely not employees.

Supervise your regional offices, hire competent leaders, promote from within, create some incentives and bonuses for your front line workers who are sacrificing their personal lives and sanity regularly while you're home with your family or asleep in your bed!! (Case managers, not just recruitment workers) Provide some training and actual office protocol, cut out the micro managing and badgering ... Treat your people with respect!! Dignity!! Like the educated social work professionals that they are!! Someone might actually stick around awhile that way, and finally please for the love of God give the case managers a raise!!! They're running the place I promise!

Management Team Member: Great Agency

I have been working at Benchmark Family Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a current member of the management team I am afforded the opportunity to see operations in a big picture mindset. Benchmark is very quality, not quantity, driven. As apposed to the other negative reviews, I feel that Benchmark does a fantastic job of providing wrap around care to our children and team members. I feel supported by the management team above me and they do provide a framework for culture and operations. They give the flexibility for each region to operate like an individual business while having a supportive ear if needed. In my opinion this creates a personal ownership of people and resources in each region. The success then lays on the manager and staff in each region.

I would recommend this agency to anyone looking for a challenging and rewarding journey.

Cons

The only con I see that hinders development or advancement is personally needing a career mindset in terms of compensation. I am compensated fairly for the work I do but I have to think long term to meet personal financial goals. I struggled at this for the first 2 years but finally grasping that mindset has made things a whole lot easier.

Upper management is transparent however, I feel that at the current growth rate you will need to be even more transparent.

Management will run this office into the ground

Current Employee - Case Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Case Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Benchmark Family Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Providing service to children and wonderful foster homes.

Cons

Management is extremely poor and unprofessional. They company does not give back to either their employees, foster parents, or children. Management is not well trained and lacks knowledge of State Minimum Standards and Licensing. Management does NOT accept advice or feedback. If an opinion is expressed management will either write you up or terminate you. When asked for answers to questions none are ever provided. Management is extremely rude and disrespectful, and will not address any issues within the office or with the foster homes.

Listen to your staff, show them respect, advocate for your employees and the foster children/home, provide pay increases (no matter how small they are appreciated).

Truly a terrible employer

Current Employee - You Name IT
    Current Employee - You Name IT

I have been working at Benchmark Family Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are lucky enough to have good co-workers, that is the only pro. Once you gain a moral compass, that doesn't even matter anymore.

Cons

This foster care "non profit" does not give raises to their front line staff. Instead they only use money as an incentive for what they call "key people" - those who are shuffling prospective foster parents in at a record pace, so they can get the ever elusive bonus (quarterly). The more kids they can place, the happier they are. They do not want to hear any dissention or concerns by staff. Once you speak up, they are done with you. They have a "screen in, not out" policy, and should recall the child death they had in one of their states after screening in a poor family, and the family subsequently being criminally responsible for the child's death. You can change your name, but not your pattern.

They don't take advice. It is being run by a "for profit" corporation. Their fee is based on the agency's overall receivables, and therefore, all they care about is money. At one point the agency prided itself on good "customer service" and being supportive to the foster families. Once they are verified as foster parents, they move onto the next prospective and could care less any longer.

Mind Numbing

Former Employee - Case Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Case Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Benchmark Family Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work hours are accommodating to families, co-workers are friendly, data base system, flex time is useful.

Cons

lack of substantial training, compensation is not competitive, management is weak, expectations are not realistic, focus is not service related,

Listen to staff surveys, increase pay, consider raises, value your employees, provide better training, feedback would be beneficial, provide cell phones to all staff, work on the high turn over rate.

As a case manager at benchmark the work is difficult but rewarding.

I have been working at Benchmark Family Services full-time

Pros

Ability to make a change in foster youth's lives. Flexible work schedule and positive environment.

Cons

Entry level position with little advancement opportunity.