Benchmark Senior Living

Updated December 9, 2014
2.4

Benchmark Senior Living CEO Tom Grape
Tom Grape

Pros
  • benefits, training, residents and families (in 4 reviews)

• Front line staff works incredibly hard to provide a safe environment for residents (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be hard as this is a 24/7 business (in 6 reviews)

• Home Office has no clue what goes on in the communities (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company mission.

Former Employee - D O O in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - D O O in New Haven, CT

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great values, training and growing potential.

Cons

Accountability sometimes doesn't apply across the entire board.

I would love to come back I hear the company has returned to its roots.

Inten

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living as an intern

Pros

Friendly environment, take more responsiblity

Cons

Pay is not that well

Pleasant

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living full-time

Pros

The employees and managers are all passionate in what they're doing why we were doing it.

Cons

Everyday is different. With the residents you'll never know what to expect, but if you're passionate- it'll all be worth it.

Empathize for the nursing department. They work harder than you know.

Benchmark really cares about the staff and residents

I have been working at Benchmark Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its a great place to begin your career

Cons

Its not easy work, but it is rewarding.

We appreciate the attention you give to the employees

Great Concept...Poor Management

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Mystic, CT
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Mystic, CT

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living part-time

Pros

Working with the clients. Patient assistants were caring, knowledgeable, and professional.

Cons

Worst leadership I have ever worked for, environment of paranoia, refusal to deal with major issues, executive management cannot be trusted, cheap (toilet paper and plastic garbage bags are difficult to acquire on weekends), unorganized potentially dangerous medical policies, stressful for even the most seasoned nurses.

Take responsibility, stop "tripping over a dime to pick up a penny", be truthful with residents, family members, staff and the State where you are licensed.

SO DISAPPOINTING! Awful regional leadership

Former Employee - Director in Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Director in Manchester, NH

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

benefits, training, residents and families

Cons

Wow - talk about bait and switch! Started out hopeful, regional NE company. So many silly "initiatives" that as a DH you cannot do your "real" job. SO much turnover with other buildings - should have been a red flag. Regional managers are hostile, not in touch, except when it comes to reports (which are every day). VERY poor middle management. Benchmark looks great on paper, but if you have any experience in assisted living management, DON'T DO IT!

Look at the turnover - especially in department head positions. Selling off soon???

Letdown of job.

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Residents are great, families are wonderful.

Cons

This company bribes its employees with money. Everything revolves around profit. While this is a business and I realize money is important, they make promises to families and put on a "show" to lure new families in. This is not right. It makes it hard on the staff , because families come in with high expectations and are constantly complaining because we are not meeting their needs. They also don't appreciate how hard staff works. The view is skewed and cooperate needs to start paying attention to employee needs and work on staffing and improve structure and onboard before this company crumbles. When I first started I thought it was a lovely place, however I would never let a family member or friend of mine be taken care of here, because for the most part it is not a great safe place.

Improve on-boarding and structure, improves resources for employees, appreciate employees hard work, take action on those not doing their job, and stop lying to families about the products you sell.

Disappointing at Best

I have been working at Benchmark Senior Living full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, Pay, Residents and Families

Cons

Was excited at first to work for a New England value based company but the experience has been disappointing at best! Cookie cutter way of doing things without taking the community dynamics into account; unrealistic expectations; minimal support from ED; DHs step all over each other. Glad I moved on.

Visit the communities more than 1x a year. Coffee and Candor should be 1:1 with DHs.

Poorly run, unsafe for residents.

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living full-time (less than an year)

Pros

the residents that live in these homes are great!

Cons

This company is smoke and mirrors. There is no real organization to this company. When you travel from community to community every one is run differently with different systems. There is no Standard. They admit a level of resident to their homes just like the Skilled nursing facilities do simply to take your money and fill beds. "Your family member is in good hands..." is a false. Dementia residents wander the community with no direction and it is not a safe environment for these individuals. Management has no clue. They don't provide support to staff or lower management they only point fingers and terminate, then blame the people they hire to fix. If you like your private family time there is none here. They pay you a lower than average salary and expect you to be available 24/7. They think they own you and don't try to tell them otherwise. They run against all that is ethical and moral. There is a reason they always have open positions. Stay far away.

Sell it to a company that really cares about people. Turn yourselves over.

Wonderful company to work for and hard work is always recognized and rewarded!

Current Employee - Executive Director
    Current Employee - Executive Director

I have been working at Benchmark Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benchmark truly knows the business of taking care of seniors and is ahead of the game in the industry. The training is extensive and communication on all levels from front line to home office is consistent. There are values set forth to all the associates to work as a team and a family. Benchmark knows that we are in a business of taking care of people and they also want to ensure that they are in turn taking care of the associates

Cons

Work life balance can be hard as this is a 24/7 business. But the key to taking care of seniors is you have to LOVE what you do, and with that you can balance the workload. Again, this is people taking care of other people who need our help and compassion and with that comes the hard work and dedication that is necessary.

Communication from senior management is great and should definitely remain a focus as all levels of associates at the communities work so hard and recognition certainly goes a long way.

Benchmark Senior Living Photos