Benchmark Senior Living

Benchmark Senior Living CEO Tom Grape

Tom Grape

Wonderful Place to Work

I have been working at Benchmark Senior Living

ProsLeadership is key; they do a wonderful job. the majority of all associates leave happy at the end of their shift. Communication gets better each day

Consbalancing workloads can be a challenge at times

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to show support and leadership and that you don't mind pitching in when needed. I've seen growth from within and solid peer relationships which is great

No morals what-so ever

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLoved the residents and daily interaction with them.

ConsABSOLUTELY no support what-so ever. Driven only by the bottom line. Closed door nursing home.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people and most of all the residents you lure in with unkempt promises of care. No time off ~ Speak up and get fired.

Heartless people

Manager (Former Employee)
Waterbury, CT

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living full-time for less than a year

ProsNone, after the initial smoke and mirror act on how great their company is they treat you like garbage.

ConsEverything, managers will throw you under the bus to cover their own mistakes. They also micro manage worse than anyone I have ever worked for and never appreciate a thing you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementJoin the senate where you will be among friends

Degrading

LNA (Former Employee)

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living full-time for more than a year

ProsMost of the residents are wonderful

ConsDon't train new employees long enough.. Constant bullying and backstabbing. Too many unprofessional young workers that will throw you under the bus when you're not deserving of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more compassion for your employees and be mentors.

Bullying in the workplace

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living full-time for more than a year

ProsThe residents and some of the co-workers are wonderful.

ConsManagement at all levels and how issues are handled or NOT handled.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvestigate why some locations have such a high turnover/fire/resignation rate. There is a reason.

A Place that truly cares for the residents

Dietary Aide (Former Employee)
Middletown, CT

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living part-time for less than a year

ProsBenchmark is a great place to work with a very friendly atmosphere. You can see how much the staff loves the residents. The mangers are great I felt welcomed as soon as I started my first day of work there. Also the residents are awesome and you gain so much knowledge from them.

ConsThe pay for the dietary aide job isn't the best but if your not in it for money then it will be the perfect job for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would love to ask the managers to continue doing what your doing.

Gang of smoking and drinking senior managers

I have been working at Benchmark Senior Living

ProsActivities program leaders try to make everyday special and housekeeping works so hard.

ConsSenior managers fly in on their "brooms" to yell and tell the community team what to do. Only one regional last year really cared and worked with us and she was pushed out by the smokers and drinkers. I have worked here for almost ten years and don't recognize the company anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at yourselves. We only see hypocrites. You send us help and then you let them go because some people complain. The complainers are just like you. The gang at the top and the gang ED's seem to think it is ok to not work like we do at the community level. All we want is to see the pretty advertisements come close to what is really going on. This was once a great company. Where is Tom Grape?

Poor Infrastructure

Meriden, CT

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat staff, at a community level.

ConsThis company as a whole has many problems, so many issues that they can't seem to keep up. Home office is completely distant from each community, they don't understand the challenges each associate faces everyday whether it be by families, residents, or corporate. Each community is under a constant state of stress. Communities need much more aide.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer overtime to those interested. We, as a company are extremely profitable and have the funds to hire more staff but yet are constantly told of a budget we must follow.

A solid mission

I worked at Benchmark Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGiven the authority to make decisions and ask questions later, to meet the needs of residents and families.

ConsMid-level and senior mangement with varying degrees of competence, resulting in tumult at the community level as they seek to justify situations and, in some instances, deflect their own responsability.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmploy well-designed HR principles at all levels to minimize exposure and maximize understanding of evolving situations as they develop.

Don't bother

Multiple Positions-reception, Activities, Dining Services (Current Employee)
Haverhill, MA

I have been working at Benchmark Senior Living part-time for more than 5 years

Pros...not sure, which is sad cause I've been there for 7 yrs

ConsNo career growth as they always promote and definitely the pay for what cnas do. Very cheap! We also have bad turnovers with mngmt and staff. Low morale and recognitions.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally listen to the on the floor feedback cause you don't work the floors as we do. Also staff hates when you try to cover up or run around situations. Your staff is not stupid!

Worked for Benchmark Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Benchmark Senior Living reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Benchmark Senior Living CEO Tom Grape. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Benchmark Senior Living employees.