Benco Dental Reviews

1. Territory Rep

Former Employee - Territory Representative in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Territory Representative in Providence, RI

I worked at Benco Dental (More than a year)

Pros

Phenomenal family owned, privately held business. It never ceases to amaze me how the owners of the company know everyone of their employees. Chuck Cohen is outstanding!

Cons

Territories are large and lots of miles driven

Advice to Management

Do your job! Help your team and territory succeed and you will reap the rewards your team with give you.

Service Tech

Former Employee - Service Tech in Pearl, MS
    Former Employee - Service Tech in Pearl, MS

I worked at Benco Dental full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay wasn't bad, higher than their two competitors, Schein and Patterson. The retirement program isn't bad.

Cons

Benco is a one way company, that is, all communication is downhill, not much comes down, but NOTHING goes up. Procedures change and the only way you learn about it is when you get wrote up for doing it the old way. Middle and upper management care nothing about the people in the field. I spent 5 years trying to get my HepC blood work approved, and never did.

Advice to Management

Your people in the field know more what the customers want than you do in your ivory tower of CenterPoint. You remind me of Congress, completely out of touch.

Territory Manager

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Benco Dental (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, great training. It takes more than a year to build a territory large enough to be at straight commission.

Cons

Not as lucrative as they make it sound.

Advice to Management

Best to be honest and straight forward

5. Nice people who need to get a little more aggressive

I have been working at Benco Dental

Pros

Good company that appreciates their employees!

Cons

Need more aggressive leadership to combat the competition.

Don't do it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittston, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittston, PA

I worked at Benco Dental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My colleagues were good people that I formed friendships with very easily. I still keep in touch with several of them. I had a good opportunity to travel to several places.

Cons

Where to begin? Management is a complete joke. They have the most abstract and unattainable expectations but don't appreciate a good work ethic trying to achieve them. They're completely inconsistent and their communication is the worst I've ever dealt with. Benco prides itself on being a "family company" - if that is how they treat their family, I am glad I'm not a part of it.
    The entire company is run by people that have been there for several years jumping from one position to the next so no one has a real grasp on their department or its function. The lack of guidance and training is absurd. Probably because no one knows what they're doing well enough to train anyone else.
    My time at Benco was very disappointing and I began to look for a job outside of the company after only 3 months. Unfortunately, it took me several months to find something forcing me to work for people I do not respect, understand or even like on a personal level.
    Beware of the politics that go on at CenterPoint East. They are real and they will get you.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your friends and hire a director with real leadership skills. Management needs to get a real clue about how to build up morale. Forcing people to "be available" at all hours of the night is not healthy. Set an example and demonstrate a health work/life balance. Don't force your ugly work ethic onto your associates.
    Your associates are not happy. They are just too afraid to tell you that.

Reality check

Current Employee - Territory Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Territory Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Benco Dental (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great vendors, warm & caring leadership...Truly American success story....ability to adapt to changing market conditions.

Cons

Clueless when it comes to expansion in the western U.S. The company has done well to have the success they have had despite the lack of resources to support the growth.

Advice to Management

Compensate your rookies while they bust their butt to make a name for Benco in the marketplace

8. good company

I have been working at Benco Dental

Pros

great company with a nice culture

Cons

cons - growth within the company

9. Family owned business

Former Employee - Territory Representative
    Former Employee - Territory Representative

I worked at Benco Dental (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to develop your own path. Not micro managed. plenty of accounts to call on.

Cons

Marketing strategy no keeping up with changing marketplace. Not vertically integrated when it comes to equipment, ie too many loose strings

10. Be flexible and willing to redefine your definition of success

I have been working at Benco Dental

Pros

customer focused without sacrificing the employee
    positive environment
    knowledgeable support staff

Cons

Not a lot of guidance. Information and help are available but you have to figure out where and how, to extract the help, on your own. The industry as a whole will continue to face rapid change and possibly less opportunity with the proliferation of online suppliers.

T2 support job - decent people in IT deptmartment but terrible environment. Use for resume fodder and move on ASAP.

Former Employee - Tiet II Support in Pittston, PA
    Former Employee - Tiet II Support in Pittston, PA

I worked at Benco Dental full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The IT department was staffed with pretty good guys. The pay and benefits are pretty good considering the low difficulty of work and the other options in the area (NEPA is pretty economically depressed). There were a few small perks but nothing worth staying for.

Cons

Terrible environment - be prepared to be everyone's life coach. Management has no spine, IT is seen as a cost center, sales is king, and the service/onsite techs are laughably incompetent.

Prepare to constantly do the onsite techs jobs for them - imagine walking your typical end user through setting up a small business network, repairing hardware, troubleshooting network issues, or imaging a server. Most of them don't even bring their laptops with them onsite let alone know how to use them... it's a nightmare. One of the Co-owners had the idea to "cross train" plumbers/electricians on computers but there is no oversight on it and that will probably not be changing anytime soon.

The Tier 1 support in the Philippines is worthless; rarely ever around, poorly trained, 0 motivation, and poorly managed. Prepare to be overworked and underappreciated as you will likely be doing at least 2 other peoples jobs daily They do promote internally on occasion but it's rare and takes years for it to happen - I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

The other reviews of this company being "rigid", hard to do any work cross-department, and "an old boys club" are spot on. Overall it's pretty toxic; glad I'm no longer there.

Advice to Management

Complete overhaul - the foundation is rotten.

RSS Feed </> Embed