Bend Research Reviews

4.0
Walter C Babcock PHD

1. Awesome Company

I have been working at Bend Research full-time

Pros

Great people, great values! There is a lot of amazing work that goes on here and a lot of great minds. If you want to be challenged, be a part of an innovative company, and feel appreciated this is the place.

Cons

I honestly don't have anything negative to say about this company

2. Great people, in-flux culture not-so-great

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Bend Research as an intern

Pros

Most of the people are laid back as Bend is an awesome place to live, fair salary/wages

Cons

As the place was recently bought out by a bigger company, the culture seems confusing... stuck between laid-back as long as you do your work and very corporate per parent company's expectations. For me, I definitely felt the 'work for the weekend' vibe not just for myself but for others too. That's been more the case after the buyout people were saying. Didn't dig that.

Advice to Management

It seems like the company is heading in the right direction, but there are definitely less-happy (than before) employees i felt.

3. Research Chemical Engineer

Current Employee - Research Chemical Engineer in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Research Chemical Engineer in Bend, OR

I have been working at Bend Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A collection of very talented, smart, and driven people. Our commitment to a multidisciplinary approach allows us to rapidly solving problems.

Cons

The recent acquisition by Capsugel has caused the company to take a sad turn toward the corporate world. Also, a general lack of project management sometimes makes it hard to know what the next appropriate steps in your work day should be.

Advice to Management

Give your workers a chance to own the company again. I know it's not Capsugel's style, but if you want highly-motivated and talented people to stick around, give them some ownership of what they do.

5. Great place to work, work hard while you are there!

Former Employee - BST/Operator in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - BST/Operator in Bend, OR

I worked at Bend Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very nice bunch of people to work for. Great atmosphere, great benefits! Good Pay! Lot's of work, lots of hours a growing company. Lot's of opportunity. They actually ask new hires what they think, how is it going, etc, etc. Be ready to work, it can be very physical. If you like to work hard and be a team member apply, it will be worth your while.

Cons

They are needing lots of people now, training rushed and not organized, however everyone there is helpful. Training, knowing who is your leader and who to talk to can be a little confusing.

Advice to Management

Slow down, good training is important for future success. Train well first, less mistakes later. Listen to what the new people tell you. Otherwise it looks like you are doing a great job! You are kind and understanding. Nice bunch of helpful people...don't let any mean people in...and it will stay great!

6. Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bend, OR

I have been working at Bend Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are friendly, intelligent, hard-working, impressive and strive for a healthy work-life balance. The work is challenging and engaging.

Cons

Since the company was bought by Capsugel, it's felt more corporate and less home-town. There seems to be less emphasis on the person and more focus on the policy.

Advice to Management

In order to maintain current employees it would be ideal to offer the same incentives and salaries offered to incoming hires.

7. Great Summer

Current Intern - Intern in Bend, OR
    Current Intern - Intern in Bend, OR

I have been working at Bend Research as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The scientists are very friendly and willing to field your stupid intern questions. There are a lot of things to be done and they do let you partake in some fairly technical work

Cons

Leaving your intern out of the loop sets them up for making mistakes or redundancies. Keep them informed!

Beautiful in every imaginable way

Former Intern - Lab Tech Intern in Tumalo, OR
    Former Intern - Lab Tech Intern in Tumalo, OR

I worked at Bend Research as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

hours, flexibility, location... location, location, location, atmosphere and company culture... BRI really is an amazing place to work.

Cons

I know they were recently bought out and worry about what effects that may have had. Also- after the Pfizer incident, I think they spread themselves out too thin to bring in too many clients, and lost their focus a bit. While not necessarily a con, it can make operations complex

Advice to Management

Focus more on those core bread and butter technologies you have developed. But don't change the people or atmosphere. It was amazing.

Bloated management, but a decent team of individuals

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Bend, OR

I have been working at Bend Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits for the area Great town to live in The company has a huge amount of potential, if certain elements would bow down

Cons

Flat hierarchy Expectations are not clearly defined The upper management is entrenched

Advice to Management

Hire less, but pay more to those whom you want to keep!

Not a bad place to work

Pros

excellent benefits, profit sharing, had group work outs at lunch

Cons

stressful environment, not many opportunities to advance

RSS Feed </> Embed