BendBroadband

3.1

Amy Tykeson

Excellent employer!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

I have been working at BendBroadband full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Growing company with impressive products and services. They are focused on customers as well as delivering a positive employee experience. Bennies are awesome and much better than my spouse's offered at their place of employment. I really like the people I work with. My manager involves me in decisions and listens to my ideas.

Cons

With growth there is lots of change and sometimes the pace seems fast. Not an ideal fit for those seeking a quiet job with ability to expect what will happen day in and day out. If you like change and learning new things this would be a great match. I'm happy with the fast pace.

Keep up the great work! Management seems to have their act together and lead the company well. During tough economy there were no layoffs or pulling back on bennies. Tough times but the company played it smart. Very stable with an eye on growth and opportunities.

Marginalism Prevails!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

I worked at BendBroadband full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pros to working at BBB are the almost free cable and their benefits package given how small the organization is. Neither is great, but at least they continue to try and provide for their employees in that capacity. They also participate in and support many local nonprofit and recreational programs. Very cool! They offer a tuition assistance program for college students and most of the time will support other training opportunities as well. There is a very small town feel within the company which is good and bad. They hire friends without experience over qualified people which is a drag, the good ol’ by network is a drag.

Cons

The core issue is that the highest level of the organization is unable to hear the truth and upper management does not value integrity and honesty. Upper managers seek to avoid accountability for their decisions and areas to improve that will showcase those poor decisions, at all costs. This has created a very unethical and defeating culture for those with character and motivation to make a difference because they are seen as a threat. The company is constantly hiring because the leaders of the company do not possess the skills to develop their employees. It is common that the managers with the lease amount of character and skills are the ones promoted because they will do what they are told and not ask questions.

The company is the first to deploy technologies but also usually the first to retract them because the product development and deployment practices are very weak and they don’t have any technical experts on staff. It is not uncommon to see front line employees working through the night on a project for many months after upper management has already celebrated the project’s completion.

My advice is that if you are looking for a job that does not challenge you, supports the blaming of others, values poor processes that never get fixed, and unethical decision making at the higher levels, this company is for you. If you possess integrity and are interested in improving any aspect of the organization be careful, because if any of what you seek will point out any need for improvement in other departments, which it will, you will not last long. They will simply view your ideas as a threat and will cast you out instead of accepting accountability and improving.

My advice to management is that that owner needs to move on and turn the company over to someone with integrity and real leadership experience, clear out the unethical upper managers and hire people with a desire to change things for the better and know how to develop their employees. Pay your front line managers and employees what you know they deserve. Stop telling them that they are paid appropriately for what they do and what the region requires, they know better than that and we all know the company can afford it.

Break neck speed in technology and services, Can you keep up?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

I have been working at BendBroadband full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Never a dull moment. Usually at the forefront of technology. Always pushing forward with new products and changes. Many of the employees are great to work with inside and outside of work.

Cons

The company runs incredibly lean. They need more skilled professionals to allow the existing ones to perform there duties and complete projects with the expected high quality. Quality is lost due to the constant push. Sometimes things seem like a check list and there is no follow up on the success or failure of projects. Cost of Living vs Pay seems a bit unbalanced when compared to others in my field.

Slow down, Hire a few extra people. Focus on the quality. Respect the employees time and work. If an employee with 10 years experience states a project will take 3 months, don't ask them to complete it in 3 weeks.

Not spectacular

I worked at BendBroadband

Pros

Free services, good fleet vehicle, benefits weren't bad, job location was great.

Cons

Lots of games by management. Good people were chewed up and spit out. Local long term employees don't like transplants from out of town.

CEO should retire and remove herself from the operation. Hire someone else to run the place.

Community Charity Disenchantment

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bend, OR

I worked at BendBroadband

Pros

Medium sized comany with a product that people need at a resonable price. Good benefits and location (central Oregon).

Cons

Multiple changes in all departments. Example: eliminating positions, restructuring work load, no pay increases, poor communication among departments. Departments work against each other with animosity. Lack of truly talented managers, leaving no room for promotion. Infrequent community out reach or minimum community involvement. BendBroadband is well known throughout the community for not giving back. For a company that is so profitable compared to how seldom is invests money to charity is baffling.

How much is enough money? What I mean by this is how about compensating hard work and responsibility? Acknowledge the control that you have in the marketplace and give back to the community. As to advice for employees, don't expect to start from the bottom, reach a management position and expect a lifelong career.