Benedictine University

Updated November 10, 2014
Updated November 10, 2014
3.8

CEO

Great organization for work life balance

I worked at Benedictine University

Pros

Very nice work/ life balance.

Cons

salaries can be on the low end because not for profit.

Web Developer

I have been working at Benedictine University part-time

Pros

Great coworkers, great work environment

Cons

Not much potential for growth, salary is not high

Increase salaries

Great People, Family Environment, Great Benefits

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Benedictine University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benedictine University is a great place to work. They especially take take you in terms of the benefits that they offer (i.e. tuition remission, time off, etc.) They have created a family like atmosphere in the tradition of Benedictine.

Cons

The compensation is not that great, but I believe that is due to the amazing benefits package that they offer. Other than that, I really have no complaints.

If there was a way to personalize the benefits-compensation package. For example, if someone would rather have an increased salary as oppose to a better benefits package. I understand the limitations that are presented in something like this.

Wonderful school

I worked at Benedictine University

Pros

Friendly people, flexible great hours,work between classes

Cons

Pay is too low and not enough hours if you want full time.

Better pay for workers that have worked over a year

Great Community

Current Employee - Coordinator in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Lisle, IL

I have been working at Benedictine University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance here at Benedictine. Full time employees get a very generous amount of time off and great insurance benefits. The community of employees (faculty and staff alike) are all very friendly and care very much about the school. Its nice to be in a place that outwardly cares for their employees. Likewise, its a very laid back atmosphere.

Cons

As with any job, you tend to get more responsibility without any additional pay. Benedictine pays great benefits as a way to overcompensate for their below market salaries. As a healthy person, I'd rather see a little more on the paycheck.

Could've been better.

I worked at Benedictine University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

* Good people
    * Great environment

Cons

* Bad management
    * Terrible pay

Instead of inflating the pay checks of the administration, there needs to be a more even distribution of money.
    The guidance counselors should be making a lot more money rather than $15/hr.
    They represent the school to future students.
    I don't believe that it's fair for the president to make $1 million while the rest of the people who are doing the non-admin work slave away for minimal wages.

Very positive community and loved the opportunity to work with students and alumni!

Former Employee - Director Level in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Director Level in Lisle, IL

I worked at Benedictine University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Healthcare benefits started the first day worked, office culture fun and encouraging, individuals were promoted from within, ability to continue education, cafeteria on campus was convenient and offered healthy choices. Values were implemented throughout and training was excellent. Friendly staffers and upbeat atmosphere.

Cons

Depending on which department worked in, work-life balance could be difficult but changes in leadership within the department corrected that although a little too late for some. As it is a Catholic not for profit, salaries could be better but the time off and benefits balanced that area as well.

Keep investing into the people of BU!

Adjunct Instructor

I have been working at Benedictine University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

New campus and new personnel.

Cons

Learning software platform for student has some opportunities for improvement.

Nice people

Former Employee - Part-Time Student in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Part-Time Student in Lisle, IL

I worked at Benedictine University as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is great, everyone is respectful. Work-life balance is great because they give you a lot of sick days and there are many events that are fun.

Cons

Not much room for growth, marketing department has too much control over IT without much knowledge.

Let the IT department have more control over technology, that's what it is for!

No Career Advancement and Far Too Disorganized

I worked at Benedictine University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I worked with Benedictine, they offered fairly comprehensive benefits package in terms of health insurance, time off, and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

The organizational structure, executive leadership, and talent retention are terrible. If you want to change anything within your department (or even your position), and I mean anything, you should anticipate getting at least 4 other departments involved and a member of the provost's office. Years of effort can be quickly undermined with a simple, unsubstantiated "I don't know..." from an unrelated staff member naive to your projects.

Oftentimes it seems that the organization's values are nothing more than words on the walls.

In terms of career advancement, you will not grow your career. You'll do the same job just just receive a different title.

Invest in your staff and try to get new perspective into Benedictine! Take some time and really focus on improving the organization of the 'mothership' before adding more to the organization. The expansion and facelifts look good, but I quiver at the thought of the shaky foundation Benedictine sits on.