Benedictine University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Internship review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHad flexible hours and the staff treated me great

ConsCan get stuck doing the same

No Career Advancement and Far Too Disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhen I worked with Benedictine, they offered fairly comprehensive benefits package in terms of health insurance, time off, and tuition reimbursement.

ConsThe organizational structure, executive leadership, and talent retention are terrible. If you want to change anything within your department (or even your position), and I mean anything, you should anticipate getting at least 4 other departments involved and a member of the provost's office. Years of effort can be quickly undermined with a simple, unsubstantiated "I don't know..." from an unrelated staff member naive to your projects.

Oftentimes it seems that the organization's values are nothing more than words on the walls.

In terms of career advancement, you will not grow your career. You'll do the same job just just receive a different title.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your staff and try to get new perspective into Benedictine! Take some time and really focus on improving the organization of the 'mothership' before adding more to the organization. The expansion and facelifts look good, but I quiver at the thought of the shaky foundation Benedictine sits on.

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

Lis, IL

ProsBenefits. I have nothing else to add.

ConsI was excited to work with Benedictine but didn't realize that I would be walking into a high school environment all over again. You would think that others in the office would be too busy to watch and analyze the new hire, then gossip.

You also have to worry about stepping on other department's toes rather than working together. The 'stepping on toes' is a result of conflicts that date back before most current employees were hired. This hinders in taking initiative which seems to be in every job description. It's quite laughable.

Don't dare to have a mind of your own or your own opinion, you'll be looking for another job in no time. Smile, nod and tell others what they'd like to hear if you cannot find a job anywhere else. Don't dare to have a personality of your own. Meetings on how to change your personality will be scheduled. My best advice is to leave your brain and who you really are at home. You won't need it! Also, get use to having your ideas stolen, it's the norm.

Benedictine promotes subject matters and not good quality managers. It is common for employees at Benedictine to be a victim of an inexperienced manager. This may result in being let go or punished by being ignored and finger pointing.

Being a university, you would think that proper office protocols are put into place. New hires shouldn't have to create them.

There are also too many cooks in the kitchen. I don't see how several departments get anywhere.

The best thing about Benedictine are the benefits. If you decide to apply, good luck! The corporate world is easier than this place!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making subject matters managers. You'll save yourself from bad reviews like these. Also, there are too many cooks in the kitchen! Revise your handbook!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Telecommunications Network Manager

ProsGood Company as far as I know

ConsNo Cons that I know of

Advice to Senior ManagementNon

IT Aide

IT Aide (Current Employee)
    Lisle, IL

ProsThey pay was good and the staff was friendly to work with. I enjoyed working here a lot. It was a great job for a student. I really improved my customer service skills.

ConsWork was tedious and it was hard to stay focus on work with all of the students who came in to the lobby of the library. Having the IT department in the library was a gift and a curse.

Lecturer

Lecturer (Current Employee)
    Lisle, IL

ProsCollaborative, friendly, and efficient staff, professors and department heads. Extremely supportive management - great flexibility and students eager and excited to learn.

ConsAdjuncts just starting out have very little "prep" work or explanation - this is a positive or a negative depending on how self-sufficient you are, but it took awhile to figure out whether I was doing this "right".

Advice to Senior ManagementMore regular contact with the adjuncts would be welcome, but overall, very pleased with the campus, the building and the students.

Internship at Benedictine

ProsIt is my first Internship experience and as I am a Benedictine University student, do an internship here benefits me a lot. Really friendly work environment and nice supervisors and workmates.

ConsI would like to challenge myself more and be more efficient on my work. I will keep working hard to be sure preform well in my position.

Good Work/Life Balance, but Plenty of Politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHealth care benefits are completely paid for, paid sick/vacation time is ample.

ConsUpper executives consistently change policies and procedures to the point of confusion. Get in with the right people and you will advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter organization and communication to employee to be more proactive than reactive. Things are too haphazard.

Middle of the Road Online Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe program is online, except for an internship rotation. I enjoyed the textbooks used by most of the professors and the fact that the many of the professors were currently working in the field they taught.

ConsVery typical online program. It is what you put into it. This can make the online experience frustrating for those wanting to engage, when others do not put up a challenge (ie: forums, group assignments, etc...)

Advice to Senior ManagementFinding more innovative ways to teach online it vital, as it is becoming the new trend in education.

Great benefits, no room for growth

Lisle, IL

ProsBenefits--complete health insurance coverage; several weeks of PTO: a week off at Christmas & New Year's as a gift from the president, catholic holidays, snow days, etc. Complete tuition reimbursement.

ConsStaff are not held accountable by senior management and take advantage of the extensive sick & vacation time. New ideas and growth are stifled by staff due to a "don't step on anyone's toes" mentality. Most staff stick around for years solely because of the benefit package, and have no real passion or drive to succeed, which is discouraging to new employees and younger staff members.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to reevaluate the senior staff, and not put so much emphasis on politics and personal feelings, and instead put what's best for the University first. The University is growing at a level that the current structure can no longer accommodate (ie the marketing department).

Worked for Benedictine University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Benedictine University reviews and ratings. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Benedictine University employees.