Benefit Concepts Reviews

Updated January 19, 2015
20 reviews filtered by
2.5
John Hoder

1. Great people to work for, but....

Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in East Providence, RI
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in East Providence, RI

I worked at Benefit Concepts as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I loved my job at Benefit Concepts The hours were nice, most of the people were great. It was a very laid back position.

Cons

Do not get sick. I called out because I was in the hospital. extremely sick. Then I got an email that I was fired. It's hard to not get sick in a small call center with zero fresh air. From day 1, everyone was sick on and off. I guess they wanted me to come in and give everyone strep rather than staying out for two days like my doctor told me to do.

Realize that people do get sick, and if they have appropriate proof of this from their doctor don't just fire them. Judge people on the work they do for you, rather that the fact they are human and get sick some times.

2. This company has a reputation of promoting from within

Former Employee - Supervisor in East Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Supervisor in East Providence, RI

I worked at Benefit Concepts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities exist to transfer to other departments within the organization and at the management level you do have the ability to work remotely.

Cons

The staffing situation is very lean and you must be willing to perform tasks outside your job description in order to accommodate the business situation. This can involve working 10 hour days and weekends.

Given the technology development that is required in order to be competitive, staffing should be looked at. Currently the staffing situation is cause for errors and poor employee morale.

Gray Hair not wanted - Happy New Year

Former Employee - Director in East Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Director in East Providence, RI

I worked at Benefit Concepts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Parking, sometimes heat, working toilets : maybe the buyout will help the working conditions meet the minimal labor standards of a third world country.

Cons

Short term mentality and attitude towards all issues, if there is a problem then "eliminate" a job position and a "resource", otherwise known as a person to take the focus off the real issues. The identified problems (COBRA with a 1970 format, lack of job training, no smooth communication and job flow through departments, IT trying to drive the company instead of supporting it ) are not addressed. Preferred management style is to harass and humiliate, not to encourage and develop.

Mandatory retirement at 65, siblings not wanted

Initally Great But later was the worst since there being bought out by Wage Works, Inc.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Benefit Concepts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job, Salary positions....Hour lunch breaks

Cons

Being sold to Wage Works, INC in extremely near future

No pay raises in past 4 yrs..

Current Director wants to micro manage everything, but when it is crunch time wont help out at all

Worst place to work

Current Employee - Director in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Director in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Benefit Concepts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is hardly I can tel about since there are none

Cons

Poor work environment.
    No appreciation for the work done.
    No benefits other than Health.
    No career development plan.
    No pay raise for years.
    Management think the employees are SLAVES especially in TOLEDO office.
    Employees work almost 7 days a week.
    Cannot maintain a balance between work and family.

Wake up and improve the work environment and culture.

If you just do the bare minimum of your job and that's it, you'll do fine and will enjoy your time here.

I have been working at Benefit Concepts

Pros

The starting salary is fair, there is a fair amount of people who welcome new hires and for the most part you work independently.

Cons

There have been no cost of living increases is 3+ years. There are no monetary incentives for working hard. If you do get a promotion, do not expect much of an increase in your salary- it's miniscule. The communication between owners/senior management/upper management to the staff is practically non-existent. New ideas and enhancements are "encouraged" only to be ignored. A majority of the staff is stuck in a time warp and believe they are still in high school- gossiping, trash talking, whispering, etc.

Get more involved. Spend the time to figure out who your key players are and find out what it will take to keep them around. Then spend the time and effort to get the rest of your staff up to par. Don't be afraid to go back to the basics and take some training courses- it's always a good idea to brush up on the things your staff does on a daily basis but you may have forgotten about. Communicate better with managers in other departments to streamline and enhance the overall company experience. If we all work together to make each others' lives easier then the company overall will succeed and prosper. On that note, offer monetary incentives for employees to come up with enhancement ideas. If your employees are vested in the growth of the company, your company will do better. Lastly, bring back the 401k- it's pretty ridiculous that there's no 401k, even without a company match.

A Minefield of Office Politics

Former Employee - Software Tester in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Software Tester in Toledo, OH

I worked at Benefit Concepts

Pros

The employees are warmly welcoming to new people and the company has a solid culture of work / life balance. The work is not terribly demanding.

Cons

The office politics are like something you'd find on prime-time television. Management does nothing to rein it in or advocate a more team-focused culture. Employees are actively discouraged from fixing problems or even investigating them if the issue isn't clearly within their job description.

Try to focus more on team building than empowering people's territorial nature. Also, when members of a team are spending more time trying to undermine each other and document each other's shortcomings than doing the work, intervene and do some team building.

Looks Great! Tastes Like Chicken

I have been working at Benefit Concepts

Pros

The workers outside of those in management are excellent people to be around with

Cons

Upper management has absolutely no clue what planet they're on. We have directors who are at a total loss and it baffles my mind how those individuals can keep their jobs. I just don't understand it one bit. There is no commuinication between departments. The moral in that company amongst those not in management is absolutely dreadful. We're underpaid and the benefits suck at best.

Listen to the voice of your employees. There are some really bright workers in the company! GIVE THEM A CHANCE and stop bringing people in from the outside who are clueless!

10. Working for a smaller company has its advantages

I have been working at Benefit Concepts

Pros

Company is very family friendly!

Because we are a smaller company the work roles are less specialized than at larger companies so employees can wear more than one hat at a time and get a better big picture analysis of the operations of the company. While the results of our work are more visible it's easier to advance in the company.

As an upshot of being a smaller company we also have more flexibility for alternative work arrangements (to help you balance your personal life) like flextime, job sharing and working from home. Having the ability to work flexible hours is a definite advantage to the company because it reduces turnover of valued employees.

Cons

The downside to flextime is sometimes challenging when trying to schedule meetings. The benefit package is in dire need of amending.

Retains hard workers that believe in the company mission and direction

I have been working at Benefit Concepts

Pros

Small family operated business that understands work/life balance and knows who their employees are on a personal level. Management team has a true open door policy; it's not just something stated in the handbook with no follow through. I have always been able to approach management and felt that my feedback was respected. Great place to make your mark and learn a lot.

Cons

Benefit's package needs to be enhanced. Bring back the 401K plan or some kind of company assisted retirement planning

Recognize those employees that work hard for you and possess the most knowledge about the company. Don't look to 'favorites' for promotions, instead promote people that have a vested interest and genuinely want to see the company succeed.
    Enhance the benefit Package.