Benefit Express

1 Rating

Great company, great people, IF,,,

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Benefit Express full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fantastic people. Good compensation, good benefits. Nice and usually fun environment. They do a good job of making employees feel appreciated.

Cons

Since the company founder is the CEO, there is somewhat authoritarian, sort of a "my way or the highway" style of leadership. Differing views or independent thinking is not exactly welcome.

Listen. There are some good people with good ideas there.

Quite Simply, the worst company I ever worked for

I worked at Benefit Express full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits package, decent hours

Cons

It was the worst place I ever worked. I was there for 6 weeks, received zero feedback on how I was doing. It reminds me a lot of grammar school. Upper management plays favorites with people and they are fast tracked, if they do not like you, then you are sent packing.

Bring in some people that are not family. There are people there who have no business working in that company.

Overworked, underpaid

I have been working at Benefit Express

Pros

Very flexible with schedule. Very comfortable setting to work in.

Cons

No training. Throw you right into your position without the proper tools.

All in the Family

I worked at Benefit Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management is quick to take credit for clients or projects that go well, and quick to point fingers when they don't go well. They do a great job of embarrassing you and degrading you in front of your peers. True success comes from mentoring and coaching, not ignoring and pointing fingers.

Cons

'Family' members receive salary and benefits eventhough they don't work, but rather show up once or twice a week. This leads to resentment by other employees who work 50-60 hours each week.

Be a trusted partner

By far the worst company I have ever worked for

I have been working at Benefit Express

Pros

The only reason to work here is if you have no other possible options. Even then I would advise people to steer clear of this company.

Cons

Senior management expects you to work free overtime during high volume months and then during slow periods are unwilling to allow you to leave early. I know emplyee's who in November have been told they can't use vacation time before the end of the year that they will lose. Raises are next to impossible to achieve and when you are lucky enough to get one it is a slap in the face.Over the last several months over half of the experienced staff has left due to horrific wages and rude senior management. This company also reaks of nepotism.

Remember that just because people leave doesn't mean employees and former employee's stop talking to each other. All the things you put your former employee's through everyone who currently works for you finds out about. This is part of the reason for all the departures there.

Positive experience...

I have been working at Benefit Express

Pros

Part of a team, if you are good you get promoted and rewarded. They let you be a problem solver and take your ideas at heart and try to implement when feasible. No one is perfect but management has their heart in it. I even know of some employees who have received help financially (outside of salary) and did not even ask for it. I feel part of a team and needed.

Cons

The company is small so if you don't produce, call in sick alot or mis deadlines ( as some people do) management will notice it. Not a place you can hide.

Thank you.

Stay Far away, if you are offered a job ----- Don't take it.

I have been working at Benefit Express

Pros

Most Co-workers are very nice and offer you help, Free lunch on Fridays....

Cons

Lack of Training, Upper management likes to stab employees in the back, Salary Exempt employees have to take time off in 4 hr blocks and if you have none they deduct time from paycheck, Stop the harassment!

Look at employee needs and the free lunches do not do it

A learning opportunity

I worked at Benefit Express full-time

Pros

In light of the low company morale the majority of employees were down to earth, hardworking, and fun to be around. Benefit Express can be a good place to learn, but many employees are taking what they learn to competitors.

Cons

Uncompetitive salaries as evidenced by the high turnover rate.  Management takes a reactive approach towards retaining employees as opposed to being proactive.  Salaried employees are expected to work long hours and weekends during the busy season with little flexibility during slower seasons.  This year employees have gone without many perks including lunch on Fridays, recognition from management, bonuses, and raises.

Don't put family members on the payroll if they're not working in the company or can't make a real contribution to the business. Upper management needs to assess the current state of the company, take accountability, and start taking action to improve. Create an environment where employees feel valued, well compensated, challenged to grow, and WANT to stay.

This place is a joke......Seriously

I worked at Benefit Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its a paycheck and free lunch on Fridays (twice a week during Enrollment season)

Cons

Senior Management is completely clueless, their software is horrendous and always causing errors. If a client should happen to have an issue, you are the one to blame even knowing it was due to inadequacies in the system. Select few get special treatment due to being in the "inner circle" while the rest work years with no raises and an already low salary. Exempt employees are treated as they are non exempt having to make up time off, yet not get paid overtime. Is that even legal?

The CEO needs to get more hands on with the company those currently in place are letting the business slip between their fingers. This should be evident by the mass exodus of employees as well as clients.