BenefitMall

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bernie DiFiore

Poor Management and HR Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsThe people I worked with were awesome and the company expensed a lot.

ConsManagement from my department is extremely poor and HR department is extremely unprofessional and do not know what they are doing. The pay for what you bring to the table is low. Very low attrition rate. Poor benefit packages.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't take your employees successes and handwork as a threat and risk to you and then lay them off because of it.

Must've taken a wrong turn at Albequrque . . . acquiring a payroll company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWas a great company to work for prior to acquisition of the payroll company. good working environment, good compensation, good benefits, and employees seemed to be appreciated. But then . . .

ConsAs company grew, culture changed, employees less valuable, forgot that this is a service business and seemed to think it is more of a technology business(i.e. - sales reps have the relationships, brokers are not tied to the technology, when tech breaks down or issues arise its the people that save the day with their relationships). Also, Sr. management became very self serving, and everyone knew it. Became very top heavy instead of supporting the field sales offices. As others have stated, new HR department very unprofessional and lacking leadership. Had a good thought regarding payroll and benefits but couldn't execute to save their lives. Definitely bit off more than they could chew. BTW, how do you acquire a company and not know their technology is a complete mess? Usually there is a due diligence process but I guess that was skipped.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on yourselves, get out of the payroll business, go back to servicing your brokers, and last of all follow the example of other professional corporations and prohibit Sr. management from sleeping with subordinates. It really does affect morale, and your credibility too.

I really want to continue to like it here as I loved the first 4 years but they keep making it harder to do.

ProsThe employees are great to work with for the most part. My team leader loves to sleep on the job making me have to work harder for both him and myself in order to keep our clients happy.

ConsThe change in benefits for 2014 was extremely disappointing especially for the country's largest GA. This is a deal breaker when referring new people to the company. We should be offered choices for plans instead of the one plan they offer which is very low in coverage. To blame all employees for the few who have chronic medical conditions and say this is the reason for the benefit change due to the claims experience is an all new low.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate who you have. I lost a lot of vacation time last year because we were short staffed and then it was used against my review. When the reviewer starts off by telling you that they love your initiative and also do not like you initiative at the same time is a complete mind spinner.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This has been a great company to work for.

ProsInternal growth has been wonderful, and I like that the company takes time to get involved with helping the community. Pay and incentives are excellent.

ConsSenior Management doesn't appreciate nor value their KEY employees. The new health plan benefit was EXTREMELY disappointing for being such a large company in the insurance business. The corporate bureacracy and political agendas are so exhausting and unproductive. Morale is weakened because of this, and really unmotivates Managers, Supervisors, and their teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to be leaders not just manage. Anyone can manage, but not everyone can be a leader. Don't forget that your actions trickle down to your direct reports. You preach our company core values, but none of you follow them yourselves. Take care of your employees or you'll lose them to others who will appreciate them.

"Not the same after the acquisition"

District Manager, Outside Sales (Former Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsIt's an okay place to work for someone who does not have a degree and likes b2b sales.

ConsManagement is a joke and extremely shady. Very unprofessional and they only look out for themselves. The morale in the company is extremely low. Most of the employees who were there before the acquisition (when the payroll side was still CompuPay) has either left, were terminated or are on their way out. Benefitmall cannot compete with their top payroll competitors. They are very behind technologically.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire real managers with management experience. Treat the sales team respectfully and provide them the support they ask for and need.

After the merger it changed, and not for the better.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsThe company invests fairly heavily in technology. Developers will be given the latest and greatest tools to get the job done. They are also Microsoft Partners and encourage their IT employees to obtain and maintain Microsoft Certifications. Most folks in the IT and PMO departments are great to work with, and your salary will be competitive within the DFW marketplace.

ConsThe employee benefits package offered by the company is far below what the market will bear. The company health insurance plan is terrible. It's a high deductible plan with ridiculously high premiums and deductibles. Employee + Family coverage runs about $6500 in premiums and another $2500/$5000 in deductibles. The maximum HSA contribution the company will make is $2500 for families, but if you use tobacco at all and don't participate in a cessation program the company won't give you any HSA matching. Additionally you'll pay a penalty if you have a working spouse on their plan.

Since the merger with CompuPay the company has struggled to forge an identity for itself. Integrating the two separate IT departments has proven to be difficult. The amount of bureaucratic red tape has increased significantly and the work/life balance has been thrown out of whack.

Advice to Senior ManagementFall on the sword and admit you screwed up the benefits package. Figure out how to get the two companies integrated so you can cut out the bureaucratic roadblocks. Evaluate your technical leads and send the incompetent one(s) packing.

Clueless

Sales Executive (Former Employee)

ProsBase Salary is above average.

ConsProduct is lackluster. Service is an afterthought. Too many different platforms, none are any good. The integration of a Managing General Agent with a payroll company has been a compete disaster. No synergies whatsoever. I feel sorry for the private equity firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the payroll division before it bleeds you dry.

Very Sales Driven

ProsCo-workers are very friendly, PTO time is accrued at a decent rate, they have mandatory trainings to keep you up to date with payroll/benefits, Finally have a CRM tool (even though it is not used to the full potential, but it is slowly getting there) Can surf the web and take many long breaks or extended lunches;

ConsQuarter and Year end is very hectic, their company has multiple software they use to service\process their clients benefits and payroll and each type is in a different office so clients get passed around until they find the right place different. Working with different departments is a mission and it is hard to get someone that knows the ins and the outs of the company or their specific department job, employees seem to leave after they are trained so employee knowledge is minimal, management knows little of what employees jobs entail, No bonuses and raises are very minimal;

For a payroll "Benefits" provider they the worst health insurance for their employees, benefits are not all that great even though the website states a variety of benefits;

Advice to Senior ManagementCompliment your employees for doing a good job. Expecting them to be the best is alright, but sometimes a little compliment goes a long way. Let them know that you notice them instead of just telling them the negative things they need to change. Get decent health coverage;

Used to be great

IT - Associate (Former Employee)

ProsMost everyone that is not manager or above are great to work with.

ConsWhen new management came in, they became more focused on numbers, budgets, and office politics. They expect everyone to work late hours, weekends, and even holidays if necessary to stay "within budget" even though projects are hardly ever delivered on time. Their version of employee recognition is a generic "good job everyone" within an email chain.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you say you offer a "work-life-balanced" atmosphere, actually demonstrate it, don't just brag about it. For a benefits company, you should do a better job of offering competitive benefits to your own employees.

BenefitMall General Insurance Agency

ProsBenefitMall is a very flexible company to work for. They understand life happens. BenefitMall is truely invested in the development of each employee and give guidance in every situation.

ConsThere is nothing negative about this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys are great. Keep it up!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for BenefitMall? Contribute to the Community!

BenefitMall – Why Work for Us?

Employers now have a single effective resource to help them provide employees with benefits and payroll services – all together. The job of a trusted advisor is serving their customers...not running payroll, researching… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BenefitMall reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BenefitMall CEO Bernie DiFiore. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by BenefitMall employees.