Benefitfocus Reviews

Reset
3.6
Benefitfocus President, Founder & CEO Shawn A. Jenkins
Shawn A. Jenkins

Pros
  • Hard work but very satisfying - great people to work with - lots of opportunity as the company is growing quickly (in 9 reviews)

• Benefitfocus is an outstanding company with great management and a lot of room for growth (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Expect to work long hours for little pay (in 17 reviews)

• Work-Life Balance doesn't exist (in 7 reviews)

1. Benefits Administrator

Current Employee - Benefits Administrator in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Benefits Administrator in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus (More than a year)

Pros

25c drinks and 50c snacks. Parties, celebrations and really fun people to work with. Great culture.

Cons

Low pay for similar positions in the industry. Slow times during non-enrollment season. Occasionally dealing with angry clients.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. This is a great company to work for.

Love the job, could use a little more balance

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We are implementing a lot of really cool new technologies. Great people, great place, and management is flexible for people wishing to work remote. Bring your dog to work. The campus is really beautiful and there are a lot of fun activities put on by corporate for employees to attend like free yoga classes, release parties, etc.

Cons

A lot of unpaid overtime and definitely some growing pains happening as the company is exploding in size. Also, a really cheesy obsession with 'culture'. . . There isn't really any company-wide culture, other than obsession with work.

Advice to Management

Go home and don't pressure your employees to work long hours. Stop accepting ridiculous requests from big-name clients.

Lost sight of the company values and culture

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Charleston, SC

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits were not bad for this industry. 401K match, discounted Lifelock membership, and below average cost for medical, dental, etc.

Cons

The company has lost sight of the values that made it successful and attracted so many talented people early on. This has resulted in a drastic increase in turn over rates, over the past few years. The work/life balance leaves a LOT to be desired, with most departments expecting employees to work 60+ hours/week without any additional compensation. There is no set compensation band for any position, so employees are often making more than their manager, and some positions have drastic gaps in salary for individuals with the same experience and title that are performing the same tasks.

Advice to Management

Its time to get back to your roots and remember that the people are the reason for your success. If you want to keep top notch talent the people must come first.

Great Company Growing Fast

I have been working at Benefitfocus

Pros

Culture is great, associates are respectful,

Cons

Employees are very underpaid, over worked, sometimes management is just given a position and don't have the experience for that position.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees what other companies are paying for the same job. Favoritism needs to stop this isn't high school. Also, when giving management positions it should not be given by favoritism but should be given by qualifications which mostly does not happen.

Good Opportunity for Experience, Not Compensation

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The buildings you get to work in truly are beautiful. Open floor plan work environment is nice to be able to interact with others. The metrics for your performance are very well defined and so it is pretty explicit as to whether or not things are going well for you. The management make themselves available and appear generally optimistic about the future of the company. There are many internal opportunities for gaining experience in customer service, management, leadership, training, account management which is very valuable to the right people.

Cons

18 month contract upon accepting this entry level position to be limited to the department of which it is apart, so if you came to learn the tech industry like I myself did, you will not be getting much encouragement or opportunity to do so from your immediate supervisor or department as a whole. The compensation is low in comparison to other local companies. There are no set salary ranges for positions beyond this entry level role-- not at any department in the company, for any position. This seems like part of their strategy for growth: hire a lot of people and don't pay them the industry standard- they should be grateful to be here! This is BF! We're growing into a monster! Granted the above "Con" has any truth whatsoever- the employee morale is low. This is to be expected when there are no set salary ranges-- if you have your job through internal promotion and stay at BF for years and years, you might have an external hire join your team who just so happens to get paid 30% more than you do while you are assisting to train them to do the very same thing you do. This is insulting and good reason to leave the company.

Advice to Management

Employee retention is important, and you are loosing it!

Current Employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people/ fun colleagues. Emphasis on culture.

Cons

Poor pay all around in Support Department. North Charleston employees made to feel lesser than the rest of company. Not even allowed at headquarters.

Advice to Management

Advice would be to executives, because management isn't at fault. Pay your employees better. It's nice to give a Lunch & Learn about buying houses, but who can afford to buy at house on these salaries?

Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great work environment, with excellent facilities/perks. - The people you work with are great and people you would consider friends. - There is a great ability for growth as the company is growing rapidly. - Strong support from senior management.

Cons

- The software constantly has issues and the wrath from clients can be severe. - The hours are long and the salaries sometimes are not justified. - Need to focus on correcting the current software before adding new features to generate more sales.

Advice to Management

Match the salaries with the competition. Begin hiring more talented people who can only help the company versus settling for lower quality employees just so you can offer a lower salary.

9. Fast paced

Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Solutions Consultant in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus (More than a year)

Pros

rewards achievement, great culture and atmosphere

Cons

work load, nothing else though

Advice to Management

hire more people

Mentally Debilitating

Former Employee - Applications Consultant in Daniel Island, SC
    Former Employee - Applications Consultant in Daniel Island, SC

I worked at Benefitfocus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with, beautiful campus and new office buildings with every amenity possible. Easy to schedule vacation days

Cons

As soon as I started my two week training at Benefitfocus, I know something was awry. No one in my training class was told exactly what our job title was, nor was it ever clearly explained during training. During the next 14 days, we slowly started to realize that we would be phone support for tech issues encountered with Benefitfocus' online platform. We were essentially the people who on hold with in India for 45 minutes, but luckily Benefitfocus prides itself in customer support and quick turn around. Great for the customer, terrible for the employee. 14 days sounds like an ample amount of time to learn about how to perform our upcoming job, but instead we were not taught anything that applied to what we would be doing at our desks on a daily basis. Our first day of work required us to learn several complex platforms, while speaking to angry customers on the phone, while completing reports, troubleshooting for the customer, and aubmitting tickets to other departments so they can further research whatever problem the customer encountered if we could not fix it during our phone call. Not only were we handed these tasks that we were never trained in, nor did almost any of have any sort of background in tech, but every single thing we did and said during our phone calls were graded, calculated, and scored. This was undoubtedly the most stressful job experience I have ever had. Not only did we not have the opportunity to love up in our position unless our scores and reports were perfect, but we were incredible underpaid and had zero job security. Like any corporate environment, everything occurred through rumors and hearsay. Upon being hired by Benefitfocus, we quickly learned that we did not accept a job with a permanent position, but rather we were contract workers with roughly a three month contract. Managers constantly lied and strung us along, telling us that we would be "brought on" and hired as permanent associates, but this game continued for months as we all stressed and worried about job security and whether or not we would be let go. On top of an unnecessarily stressful and underpaid job, Benefitfocus lied to its employer services department repeatedly by claiming that we would become associates. Don't be fooled with its promises of free coffee, game rooms, modern work spaces, and "culture", Benefitfocus was undoubtedly the worst professional environment I ever been a part of.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Put yourself in their shoes and understand that stringing people along and never providing clear answers is one of the worst ways to run a company. You pride yourselves in new buildings, new clients, and a rapidly growing group of employees, but other than on paper, this does not look good. You aren't keeping up with how quickly your company is growing, and the well being of your employees is being left behind.

11. Wonderful Company to Work For

I have been working at Benefitfocus

Pros

Enthusiastic CEO, great perks, free food often, casual work environment, fun work environment, frequent work socials, opportunities to advance, educational opportunities, tuition assistance, many dog lovers, work from home priviledges

Cons

Cannot think of any cons

RSS Feed </> Embed