Benefitfocus

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014

Benefitfocus President, Founder & CEO Shawn A. Jenkins
Shawn A. Jenkins

Pros
  • Hard work but very satisfying - great people to work with - lots of opportunity as the company is growing quickly (in 9 reviews)

• Benefitfocus is an outstanding company with great management and a lot of room for growth (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be long hours, but you are definitely rewarded for your hard work (in 17 reviews)

• Contrary to their "culture" there is no work life balance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work, No Coasting Allowed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast-paced, challenging environment. Significant professional growth potential. Still has the small company/dot com feel to it. Executives are carriers of the cultural torch and it does flow throughout the crew which is nice. Being a SaaS company, technologists get a chance of being in the spotlight and are recognized for their contributions. Nice to be thought of as an asset rather than just an expense.

Cons

This is not the place for anyone who wants an easy paycheck. If you want to punch in at 8am and out at 5pm five days a week, every week, look elsewhere. It can be a bit of a pressure cooker so if you can't stand the heat... well, you know. During Open Enrollment season the hours can get long and the stress high, but in the end it is rewarding. If you're looking to never be bored and be constantly pushed to grow, this is the place for you.

Everyone knows things change as companies grow from small to mid-sized to large enterprises. Keep on keeping the culture alive, even if it needs to evolve in order to accommodate scale.

Love benefitfocus

I have been working at Benefitfocus

Pros

Great culture, free food, and not going to micro manage employees. Great growth opportunities.

Cons

if you are good, you will be over worked.

Spend time on training.

Growing organization

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

Lots of nice perks including food, drinks, and a really cool office. Great place to work if you find energy from being crazy busy.

Cons

Some organizational dysfunction that will hopefully be worked out as the company transforms and grows

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Benefits Administrator in Daniel Island, SC
    Current Employee - Benefits Administrator in Daniel Island, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had alot of friends. There was free food. I was promoted within 4 months. My manager was awesome.

Cons

There aren't many cons. A lot of people love to gossip. I didn't like that.

Slow down and notice your employees

The company has a lot of great amenities but terrible work life balance and management does not about employees.

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The design and engineering building is gorgeous and the company is quickly growing.

Cons

The position I had accepted is not the position I was put in once I started training. They throw way too much information at you then expect you to retain it all and send you out into the work force unprepared. The managers and team leads have all long meetings at the same time making it so no one is available when you need to reach out to someone. The pay is ridiculously low and the work is extremely fast paced and stressful.

Work people like they are robots.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free coffee, free food sometimes, modern building.

Cons

Management does not support employees - always takes the client's side. Processes are either ignored, totally inaccurate, or non-existent; but they still want you to follow processes. Over-selling products leads to completely dissatisfied clients that take it out on the implementation team. Company is growing too fast and cannot keep up with the work load, would rather burn people out than turn down a sale.

Fix the sales issues, say "no" once in a while. Fix the internal processes. Make others accountable that aren't pulling the load.

Favoritism, Lack of consistency, hidden by a veil of "perks"

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time

Pros

There are some really cool people that work there. Cheap soda is nice as well as the easy commute. The job pays the bills. It's also a good job to just forget about once leaving time rolls around.

Cons

Where do I begin? This company is taking too many bites for it to chew. The amount of clients it has been taking on recently is impressive, but I think they have been promising too much to clients and not delivering. Buggy platforms, misinformation; I can't imagine what the design and engineering departments has been dealing with/their work load is like. Magnifying the review to my department, I've learned that if you want to move up, you have to be a favorite. Higher ups seem to dote on those with the right combination of personality and physical appearance and pick those to do other "better" jobs than the one they were hired to do. Lack of any sort of beneficial training (for position AND client accounts), very thrown together and ineffective. SO much misinformation and no consistency, one person tells me to do this, the other tells me to do that. Oh and managers? Hey let schedule a meeting with all of them at once so you are left with no one to turn to if you have a hard case/question. I'm tired of asking questions because I'm just undermined by my superiors and made to feel, for lack of a better word, dumb.

The Cowbells. Those headache and rage inducing things (in a superficial way) are the thing I hate the most about Benefitfocus.
    Why don't you tell me I'm doing a good job, not making me ring a stupid bell.

Be more supportive of your employees, try to consolidate information for easier access so we are not so much a "burden" to our superiors who are supposed to help us.
    Free shirts and lunch isn't going to brainwash me to accepting the "Culture" buzzword.

I know that there are a lack of jobs, but be cautious dont make the same mistake I did!!!!!

Current Employee - Payroll Analyst in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Payroll Analyst in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Vending machine prices, I work with a good team we look out for each other

Cons

I should have known during the interview, instead of me selling to them, they were trying to sell me...I recently moved to take a position with this company under Data Integration. I was hopeful and yet my bubble was busted early. This is the worst experience ever and yet I am at a holt because I invested everything into this move. The Director and my manager are totally disengaged with their department, and show a lack of respect towards their employees. The veterans as they are referred to are over worked are force to work crazy hours and are forced to carry high level integrations that are not acceptable by any other industry. The tools provided for work are unstable and inconsistent and my Director and Manager have no clue of what we do but feel compelled to make decisions based upon no research whatsoever. The one manager that I considered my advocate who had the knowledge and understanding who would speak up for us was pushed out. Not long after her the one person who knew a specific account left right after her and domino effect is in place. I dont know how this place is winning the best place to work award, they must be basing it on those who work in tge call center. I hope things change, but as long as we work under a management with no leadership skills and no understanding both departments under Data Integration will fail.

Reevaluate those that you place in key positions. Hire true leaders based upon experience and not because they fit into the good ole boy system.Hire HR people that KNOW hr, not quite sure if the current HR is clear on the laws of the EEOC or proficient in emoloyee relations. Diversity training is a must. Moving from where I lived, I feel as though I stepped back into time.

Not worth the hype

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People -- The people (employees) at Benefitfocus are the driving force behind any and all success. The relationships built within the company are irreplacable and I will forever cherish them.

Cons

Let's begin:
    1) Work Life Balance - This does not exist. While management does not directly state that you are required to work nights and weekends and holidays and your scheduled vacation time, the expectation is delivered and moreso implied by making unrealistic promises to clients and calling/texting personal cell phones at any time of any day.
    2) Poor Management - The management at Benefitfocus is poor to say it nicely. Most of the managers are inexperienced and lack any 'real world' experience. There is a large sense of the 'good ol boys' club that makes it nearly impossible to move up within the company unless you are prepared to apply the correct amount of brown-nosing.
    3) Human Resources - There are a lot of great people at Benefitfocus. However there are a lot of jerks (putting it nicely) that feel because of their position or tenure they have the ability to say whatever they want to whomever they wish. Human Resources does not have any control or power within the company. Their hands are tied and if you file a complaint with HR you will be patted on the back and told it will be ok or advised that you should find another job.
    4) Training - New employees are not equipped to survive the brutality that is Benefitfocus implementations. Employees are brought in and told here is the basics and here are 30 clients...GO! Clients get extremely upset because of the lack of knowledge involved and then escalate and then employee is belittled.....employees are forced to learn by fire and most are burned out before they ever hit their 1 year of service.
    5) Compensation/Benefits - I would rate this average for Charleston but sub-par for industry standards. Your pay is definitely not worth the hours. If you take the actual number of hours worked per week and divide by the sub-par pay, you are lucky to make minimum wage. The benefits package is descent but if you have any real medical/dental issues be sure to have money saved up.

Clean house..get rid of the bad apples....Employ more 'Andy Howell' like individuals that truely care about the people as much as they care about the company. Don't forget where you came from.

A little less than average

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Daniel Island, SC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Daniel Island, SC

I have been working at Benefitfocus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great location, plenty of walking trails. Can wear jeans to work. Lots of free food.

Cons

Lack of strong mentors, no training materials, no written procedures. Technology is not as cutting edge as I had anticipated. A lot of spreadsheets to move data, manual configurations from dev to test to prod environments. Leaves room for many errors to take place and its a time consuming process. Onshore testing is done manually using spreadsheets and the defect tracking system is the same system as the production tracking system. Thousands of records to navigate through to find reference information.

I don't believe any advice would be considered by management.