Benefits Data Trust

Profile Unclaimed

Benefits Data Trust Reviews

4.1

Warren Kantor

Great management and organization, but call center work requires thick skin

Current Employee - Benefits Outreach Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Benefits Outreach Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The management truly cares about their employees, and you can honestly say that you're making a difference in people's lives. I was there during a transition period where the organization received new leadership in the call center and it made all the difference in the world. They use customized software that makes a huge difference in making conversations with clients efficient as well as make your life easier It is a tough job, but the leadership often promotes from within and is great at providing the resources needed to make your job possible. I had some incredible moments with both our clients and my coworkers, and I am thankful for my time at BDT.

Cons

It is a tough gig. You are on the phone for roughly eight hours a day talking to clients who are senior citizens. Phone calls are a constant, and there is often not a lot of down time without calls. Some of this is making phone calls to clients that already have one benefit but may be eligible for another. Much like making outbound sales calls, this requires having a thick skin. Although you are not "selling" anything, you are also explaining very complex benefits to clients in a very short amount of time while estimating their eligibility at the same time.

I didn't realize how much I had learned at BDT until I had left and moved onto other organizations. You do a great job of supporting BOS's while on a call, but also ensure that they have opportunities to see the behind-the-scenes aspects of the position. A visit from a representative from one of the organizations that we work with would likely help keep employees engaged and to see the bigger picture outside of the call center.

Many ups and downs, inconsistencies and frustrations

Former Employee - Bos in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at BDT allows for a steady 9-5 schedule, you never have to bring work home, and there is work events that are sometimes enjoyable such as pot lucks and trivia.

Cons

BDT's positive mission is slowly but surely falling far from practice. Since I have been there, I have seen the customer service, quality of work, and satisfaction of clients (and community organizations) dwindle steadily. Management receives large incentives and annual bonuses while others do not receive anything which is unfair. Many of the staff here are on the public benefits that they help people apply for (food stamps, heating assistance, etc.) because the pay is not sufficient.

Upper management needs to better understand all the neuances the people in the call center are dealing with on a daily basis. There is way too much change, way too quickly, and it's hurting the work that you output.

Strong group of professionals who genuinely enjoy working together for a worthy mission.

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BDT affords its employees meaningful, challenging work. Coworkers are diverse in background and skill set, adding to the professional culture. The environment is challenging (in a good way) and also light and fun - keeping the team energized and focused on the work at hand and the people we serve every day.

Cons

Because BDT is a smaller organization, opportunities for professional advancement are not plentiful and are highly competitive, which in a way is good because it pushes us all as individuals to be our best at all times.

As the organization grows, continue to foster the culture of transparency and open communication you've tried hard to create.

Former BOS

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and work atmosphere. Employees promoted are deserving (I liked the team leaders I worked under.) Casual dress code. Decent pay for call center work. Performance expectations are obtainable.

Cons

Upward mobility somewhat limited, so many people remain in the same position for quite a while. Duties and tasks were repetitive, but that's part of call center work.

A gem in my professional experience

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The mission. The people. The working environment. The support. The culture. The benefits. The opportunities. The fun.

BDT is unparalleled to any other organization I know. There is a collective drive to serve the mission with compassion, integrity, and excellence while supporting one another along the way.

Cons

If it weren't for an opportunity to pursue a lifelong dream, I would be posting this review as a current employee.

Wishing BDT continued success!

An awesome internship that allowed me to learn and work with great people.

Former Employee - External Relations Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - External Relations Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Benefits Data Trust part-time (less than a year)

Pros

BDT is an extremely welcoming environment-- everyone is willing to lend a helping hand and show you how things work. People are warm and engaging, as well as intelligent and focused. You can learn so much simply by example at BDT. On top of that, BDT is an awesome operation that is truly unique and will allow you to learn a lot.

Cons

During my time at BDT, I truly didn't experience any cons.

The most significant professional experience of my life.

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The main reason to work at Benefits Data Trust is a connectivity to the mission. Look to join the BDT team if you are interested in making a tangible difference in the lives of under-served, vulnerable populations. Here, you work alongside collaborative, mission-oriented colleagues who truly want to serve and improve the lives of those who need a safety net during difficult times. I joined as a Benefits Outreach Specialist years ago and was armed with all of the appropriate tools and resources to support clients through a sometimes complex application process. Throughout my time at BDT, I always had access to a mentor (whether formal or informal) who remained committed to my professional growth and development. Accessible senior leadership is dedicated to developing team members for advancement as the organization grows. On a personal note, I've experienced significant personal hardship during my employment and was embraced by an amazing support system that allowed me to get back on my feet. This organization's mission to help those in need transcends beyond the clients; it reaches the employees as well.

Cons

Benefits package is very competitive unless you need to provide Medical coverage to spouse/partner/dependents

Continue to communicate freely and transparently with all team members.

Incredible working environment and a job that helps make a difference!

Former Employee - Benefits Outreach Specialist in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Benefits Outreach Specialist in Phila, PA

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time (less than a year)

Pros

BDT has the best working environment I have ever encountered. Co-workers and superiors alike are positive, supportive and share a passion for helping people.

I constantly felt encouraged to speak up about any issues or concerns I had about the company and was surrounded by endless support by my peers and superiors.

While all employees take their work seriously there is also a wonderful emphasis on light-hearted fun. While I was working there the management team organized outings and in office activities that brought the company workers together in a fun and creative way.

The job itself, while sometimes challenging and somewhat monotonous, was gratifying because with every phone call I took I knew I was helping the person on the other end.

I highly recommend BDT to anyone who values a positive and supportive work environment along with a job that makes an impact in the world.

Cons

The job itself can after a while feel monotonous. It is a position that takes patience and a mind for detail.

Life-changing!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Benefits Data Trust full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have always been the very shy and quiet type. I've always been a very hard worker,but was always overlooked for not saying enough. BDT gave me the opportunity to have my voice be heard. Management is beyond friendly, welcoming and dedicated to their employees. The atmosphere is beyond anything you could ever imagine. With incentives to be earned daily, parties to be had nearly monthly and co-workers beyond belief. This is the epitome of what one dreams to have from a workplace. I can honestly say that Benefits Data Trust is a place where I'd love to retire from.

Cons

The one con that I can say on behalf of Benefits Outreach Specialist, are the minimum amount of Paid Time Off days that offered. With that said, you are made well aware of this during your interview. So if you accept it, you should not complain.

Continue to let the quiet voices be heard. There are a lot of loud, outspoken people here at BDT; continue to give the quiet confident people a chance as you have.

Former Benefits Outreach Specialist

I worked at Benefits Data Trust full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dress code is relax, starting hourly pay rate is ok if you are fresh out of college or need a job. One step up from minimum wage. Great job to put on your resume. Great Co workers.

Cons

You have to be prepared to suck up. BDT is a place that promotes based on your personality and NOT your work ethic, performance or seniority. If you are a ray of sunshine with no passion to work then please apply @ BDT. If you are a hard dedicated worker that wants to advance then DON'T apply @ BDT. Constantly in meetings over hear say, hear say dictates pay raises and promotions. Children teaching children. Management love feed back if its gossip. Management love to play "we are all equal" card but that is a lie. Management brings their pets into work on a regular basis but will not allow you to bring your child to work day or to a work events. Please do not look to do excellent work for a year and expect a decent raise. Excellent workers will get the same raise as BAD worker (no need to do or want more ). Employees are leaving WITHOUT finding new jobs. That's how bad it sucks in there. You will rather quit with any money or job than to be unhappy and wasting precious time. I never worked at a job that does so much talking and gets nothing done. WOW!

Give workers more vacation, sick and personal time off (so unfair you have to be there 3 yrs to get a extra day a quarter). More money! Workers at BDT are assisting low income clients' get benefits and also QUALIFY for those same benefits. Stop promoting based on personality and promote based on seniority and work performance. If you pay attention almost 80% of your workers are unhappy. Stop using or wanting to know gossip and using against employees. Treat your employees like you treat management! Outreach specialist will love extra days and bonus too!! Every now and then have a event that allows your employees to bring their children, family or spouse, NOT a dog! Give your employees a hour lunch.

Benefits Data Trust Photos