Benetech Reviews

Jim Fruchterman

High tech and Non-profit industry

Former Contractor - Membership Administrative in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Contractor - Membership Administrative in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Benetech as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

*Friendly and supportive team *Flexible schedule *Working for a cause as the company is making a big impact in many countries *A diverse team *Opportunity for personal growth

Cons

*Parking is limited-not the company's fault but maybe this is something that could be worked on in the future

Amazing tech company with a conscience.

Former Intern - HRP in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Intern - HRP in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Benetech as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The internship was really flexible and worked with my schedule, they also allowed me a lot of independence in working on my assigned project. My supervisor was always helpful and willing to answer any questions I had about the direction they wanted me to go in with the project. She also helped a lot with guidance but made sure I had enough independence to make the project my own. I really look forward to seeing what the company does with my work, I really feel like what I did there has the potential to actually help people in the real world.

Cons

The internship period is pretty short. I honestly don't have anything negative to say, except maybe the commute sucked, but that's not the company's fault.

An amazing opportunity to give back to humanity with my professional skills.

Former Employee - Vice President of Engineering in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President of Engineering in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Benetech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benetech tackles difficult problems with software that have scalable social benefit, but limited financial benefit to attract mainstream for-profit software companies. The company is a learning organization and has a great set of values or "organizational truths", which include catering to employee's personal needs. The engineering team is top notch and is a mature organization with an agile development process and a modest set of tools and infrastructure.

Cons

The nonprofit funding and financial model creates constraints around innovation, maintenance and technical debt management, seizing upon new opportunities and paying competitive software developer salaries, particularly in the SF Bay Area. The leadership acknowledges those constraints and is actively working on reducing those constraints.

Advice to Management

Continue pursuing unrestricted donor sources to fund innovation in new areas and continue exploring how to provide more professional development opportunities across all staff.

5. associate

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Benetech full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

easy hours, friendly atmosphere, nice location

Cons

no growth opportunity, salary not competitive with the marlet, too many clients per administrator

Advice to Management

Be more open to new ideas of growth

Good place to work but don't get starry-eyed about their 'socially beneficial' pitch. Its tough, tough work.

Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Most people working there have the best intentions (except for money-driven managers) It is a good learning organization

Cons

Low Pay for the work Too many projects handled by too few people. Business chases the money and gets contracting opportunities that then passes onto Engineering to fulfill. This creates a skewed work-life balance where you give up a lot of your life. Since their motives and projects are 'socially beneficial' there is a lot of pressure to deliver.

Advice to Management

Dont chase the money, or try to do it more responsibly. This is tough since the company needs cash, but you are compromising the work and values.

Awesome

Pros

Helpfule People Open Sourceod coding for social good best

Cons

nothing much, more responsiveness needed.. no cons, no cons, no cons

RSS Feed </> Embed