Benihana Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014

2.6

Steve Shlemon

Good company. always busy

I have been working at Benihana for more than a year

Pros

NIce guests, High energy, very nice crew

Cons

Because community seating is sometimes very challenging

upper management needs a better structure

At my location the GM was very spiteful, sexist, petty, and hard-headed individual. People skills of a Baboon.

Current Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Benihana full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and the compensation wasn't terrible.

Cons

Leadership, very unfulfilling and repetitive.

You should treat your employees better, and not play so many favorites.

Uncomfortable

Former Employee - Hostess  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Hostess in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Benihana full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free breakfast and lunch.

Cons

Stressful. Customers are rude and co-workers were rude as well. Customers complain of wait time and waiters/waitresses would complain about customers that were assigned by the hostess to their tables. Constant racist remarks made by employee's made work uncomfortable.

Management. Manager was constantly in a foul mood. Yelling at everyone, giving snappy remarks, and rude comments, yet would stay office once customers would complain asking a lower manager to speak with them. Unprofessional environment. In order to ask for time off you would have to write it on a post-it for a manager as they had no forms to fill out. If you were sexually harassed by a customer they ignore the complaint.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Miss the job but not management

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Miami, FL

I worked at Benihana full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great discount at all restaurants

Cons

Since new management arrived almost all employees have been fired from corporate. The company is outsourcing almost all corporate positions. Corporate and restaurant employees are all under paid.

Provide better benefits and higher pay to employees at restaurants and corporate office.
    Communicate with employees and don't just dismiss them like they don't matter.

Glad I started, glad I left.

I worked at Benihana

Pros

Good money for college students

Cons

Poor tipping system with chefs

Overall, the working environment is ok.

Current Employee - Server  in  Miami Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Miami Beach, FL

I have been working at Benihana full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Comfortable work environment, 50% employee discount and employee meals and for the most part, nice management

Cons

The tipping policy is a serious issue. It seems to me that the company does not care much for it's employees. They only care about the chefs. They receive 9% of the sales and even when we get stiffed on a table, the servers have to tip out the chefs out of their own pocket, or make up for it on other tables. We should be walking out with at least 10% of our sales but I leave with 5% most of the time.The tipping system needs to change as soon as possible. I always tip out more than I go home with. The company needs to pay the chefs more so we can tip out less. Not to mention that a lot of the chefs get side tips that we are not entitled to plus we have tip out on those tables anyway! Even if they get a side tip and we get stiffed. 18% should be added on ALL tables. No matter the size of the party because it is really unfair. I've had nights where I've only made $5 on $1,000+ sales! It is extremely unfair and upper management needs to address this immediately

Care about employees more, not only the chefs. Give them a good wage like a chef is supposed to have and lower the servers tip out to them so we can all make money. Happy employees means happy customers. Employees are the most important part of a restaurant so that we may give customers the outstanding service they deserve. Change the tipping policy and put 18% on all bills!

Very busy and they cut costs by overworking employees.

Former Employee - Host  in  Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Host in Concord, CA

I worked at Benihana for less than a year

Pros

50% discount on food.

Cons

Corporate managers are terrible. Will fire anyone even managers for problems that are their fault.

Hire more people. Don't overbook.

Good to start off serving

Current Employee - Server  in  Arcadia, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Arcadia, CA

I have been working at Benihana part-time for less than a year

Pros

people, food discounts, and good learning experience

Cons

bad management, tips were taken away by percentage,

none

Good and Bad...

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Benihana part-time for more than a year

Pros

The employees received a 50% discount, easy workload, and good customers sometimes. I've met some of the best and worst managers that I've had in my life at this store. If you know how to be a good server, you can make really great money. I've made 200+ on good nights. However, I have come out with only 7$ and about five tables of eight people in a night as well due to an insane tip out for the chefs.

I've met some incredible people and these other servers and I both shared in the misery of working at Benihana. The only reason I probably stayed the full year was due to the great relationships and friendships made with those around me and how we all were miserable together and would talk and make it something that was just funny although we were unhappy. I was sad to leave- but I knew one person leaving would show other people that its okay to leave if you're unhappy and that there is more out there.

Cons

Company does not care for the servers and chefs- very obvious through their salaries and wages system. Bartenders and sushi chefs tip out are so low- beneficial for servers, however unfair for those that work very hard for what they do. Chefs became greedy even though they were guaranteed 8-9.5% of food sales from the servers. This greediness was unpleasant to work with, the chefs did not care for the servers or their tables. Management didn't do much to help this issue- placed such a high importance on the chefs because they were understaffed and it was harder to find teppenyaki chefs. Managers did not care unless chefs were taking too long at tables or caused too many comps. Tables would wait for 20-30 minutes when the time was supposed to be at a max of 15 minutes because chefs would go out to smoke a cigarette for 5-10 minutes. In turn, the servers received the lashing and brutal treatment by customers- influencing their money. My customers would wait too long and I wouldn't want to go back because there were only so many excuses I could make.

Older servers could not keep up with the pace. Younger and more experienced servers would be punished with more tables and with having to stay later due to this. Having the last table when you're not the closer sucks, however when your tables usually takes 1.5 hours+, you end up staying two hours due to that last table. Some servers had 8 tables vs maybe 5/6/7 tables that other servers had because they could not handle it. Having another table is usually good, however, due to the tip out system- if it was a bad table it only reduced the amount of money you take home.

Managers would comp customers that only wanted discounts and comps. For customers that actually deserved it and had an unpleasant experience but did not complain as horrendous customers did, they left it alone. Had one manager that complained that he had to comp 40$+ off for a customer, however when I said he could always talk to the table about it; he said they would just complain and he didn't want to hear it.

Poor seating due to the fast pace. Most servers could not handle and needed more help than others. This is teamwork, however sometimes it seemed as if there could be a smoother process if seating was better.

Make sure your employees are appreciated. Listen to servers as they are one of the most important attributes in the restaurants. They carry the messages and take care of the customers for the whole hour and a half. Without the servers, chefs couldn't do their job.

Pay your chefs in wages not tips. Older managers need to be taken out- today is a modern environment and older managers are only used to old ways. Stubborn and unable to take care of their front of house- employee turnover increases which in turn leads to new employees which have a higher chance of comps and voids. Having new weaker employees also creates more unhappiness for strong employees who have to pick up the slack for the weaker. Which in turn causes unhappiness and employee turnover.

Big corporate company that doesn't give one shat about their employees.

Current Employee - Server  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Server in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Benihana full-time for more than a year

Pros

All the coworkers are very friendly and get along. Managers can usually be seen picking up slack for other people if they get behind. Unfortunately, they don't do much to create an fair culture of getting paid.

Cons

Absolutely the worst tip out system I have ever seen. They don't pay their chefs a real wage so the servers MUST tip them out a % of the sales. This means that even if the customers don't tip you, you will still be tipping out the chef. This also means that you can work your butt off on a 7 hour shift and make $5 because nobody tipped you.

Stand up for your employees.

Worked for Benihana? Contribute to the Community!