Benihana

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Shlemon

Overall, the working environment is ok.

Miami Beach, FL

ProsComfortable work environment, 50% employee discount and employee meals and for the most part, nice management

ConsThe tipping policy is a serious issue. It seems to me that the company does not care much for it's employees. They only care about the chefs. They receive 9% of the sales and even when we get stiffed on a table, the servers have to tip out the chefs out of their own pocket, or make up for it on other tables. We should be walking out with at least 10% of our sales but I leave with 5% most of the time.The tipping system needs to change as soon as possible. I always tip out more than I go home with. The company needs to pay the chefs more so we can tip out less. Not to mention that a lot of the chefs get side tips that we are not entitled to plus we have tip out on those tables anyway! Even if they get a side tip and we get stiffed. 18% should be added on ALL tables. No matter the size of the party because it is really unfair. I've had nights where I've only made $5 on $1,000+ sales! It is extremely unfair and upper management needs to address this immediately

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about employees more, not only the chefs. Give them a good wage like a chef is supposed to have and lower the servers tip out to them so we can all make money. Happy employees means happy customers. Employees are the most important part of a restaurant so that we may give customers the outstanding service they deserve. Change the tipping policy and put 18% on all bills!

Good to start off serving

Arcadia, CA

Prospeople, food discounts, and good learning experience

Consbad management, tips were taken away by percentage,

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Good and Bad...

Server (Former Employee)

ProsThe employees received a 50% discount, easy workload, and good customers sometimes. I've met some of the best and worst managers that I've had in my life at this store. If you know how to be a good server, you can make really great money. I've made 200+ on good nights. However, I have come out with only 7$ and about five tables of eight people in a night as well due to an insane tip out for the chefs.

I've met some incredible people and these other servers and I both shared in the misery of working at Benihana. The only reason I probably stayed the full year was due to the great relationships and friendships made with those around me and how we all were miserable together and would talk and make it something that was just funny although we were unhappy. I was sad to leave- but I knew one person leaving would show other people that its okay to leave if you're unhappy and that there is more out there.

ConsCompany does not care for the servers and chefs- very obvious through their salaries and wages system. Bartenders and sushi chefs tip out are so low- beneficial for servers, however unfair for those that work very hard for what they do. Chefs became greedy even though they were guaranteed 8-9.5% of food sales from the servers. This greediness was unpleasant to work with, the chefs did not care for the servers or their tables. Management didn't do much to help this issue- placed such a high importance on the chefs because they were understaffed and it was harder to find teppenyaki chefs. Managers did not care unless chefs were taking too long at tables or caused too many comps. Tables would wait for 20-30 minutes when the time was supposed to be at a max of 15 minutes because chefs would go out to smoke a cigarette for 5-10 minutes. In turn, the servers received the lashing and brutal treatment by customers- influencing their money. My customers would wait too long and I wouldn't want to go back because there were only so many excuses I could make.

Older servers could not keep up with the pace. Younger and more experienced servers would be punished with more tables and with having to stay later due to this. Having the last table when you're not the closer sucks, however when your tables usually takes 1.5 hours+, you end up staying two hours due to that last table. Some servers had 8 tables vs maybe 5/6/7 tables that other servers had because they could not handle it. Having another table is usually good, however, due to the tip out system- if it was a bad table it only reduced the amount of money you take home.

Managers would comp customers that only wanted discounts and comps. For customers that actually deserved it and had an unpleasant experience but did not complain as horrendous customers did, they left it alone. Had one manager that complained that he had to comp 40$+ off for a customer, however when I said he could always talk to the table about it; he said they would just complain and he didn't want to hear it.

Poor seating due to the fast pace. Most servers could not handle and needed more help than others. This is teamwork, however sometimes it seemed as if there could be a smoother process if seating was better.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your employees are appreciated. Listen to servers as they are one of the most important attributes in the restaurants. They carry the messages and take care of the customers for the whole hour and a half. Without the servers, chefs couldn't do their job.

Pay your chefs in wages not tips. Older managers need to be taken out- today is a modern environment and older managers are only used to old ways. Stubborn and unable to take care of their front of house- employee turnover increases which in turn leads to new employees which have a higher chance of comps and voids. Having new weaker employees also creates more unhappiness for strong employees who have to pick up the slack for the weaker. Which in turn causes unhappiness and employee turnover.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Big corporate company that doesn't give one shat about their employees.

Atlanta, GA

ProsAll the coworkers are very friendly and get along. Managers can usually be seen picking up slack for other people if they get behind. Unfortunately, they don't do much to create an fair culture of getting paid.

ConsAbsolutely the worst tip out system I have ever seen. They don't pay their chefs a real wage so the servers MUST tip them out a % of the sales. This means that even if the customers don't tip you, you will still be tipping out the chef. This also means that you can work your butt off on a 7 hour shift and make $5 because nobody tipped you.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up for your employees.

First and only job

Hostess (Current Employee)
    North Little Rock, AR

ProsEmployee meals, flexible schedule, discount on the food and that is all I can really think of to be honest.

ConsCo-workers could be nicer to be new people being hired, tips should be able to be more equal. Managers should be better with replacing supplies.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more in control of things going on.

Waste of time!!

Teppan Server (Former Employee)
    Bloomington, MN

Pros50% discount; daily family meals...

ConsWorst tipping system ever! Too many Ghetto customers that act obnoxious for their own enjoyment, make a huge mess, and slap you in the face with NO tip.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your chefs more than minimum wage! Most of your customers don't know your behind the scenes pay and tipping system.

Okay place to work but old fashioned

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros50% off for employees, good food, most employees are friendly, and it gets busy on weekends

ConsManagement is not great. They don't know how to interact with the guests. They like to be wall flowers. No benefits for line employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire your management team carefully.

Company does not care for employees well being. Minimal Hours and wages. unfair tipping system and poor management.

Chef (Current Employee)

ProsOnly good if your in upper management.

ConsPoor compensation for work, Low hourly wages, Tip system questionable, not translucent. Minimal hours, full time hours more like part time. Non set 5 day 30 hr work weeks. can't get second job to supplement income.

Advice to Senior ManagementEconomy is improving, gas prices are and will always go up. Good reliable long term employees will leave for companies who offer better wages, hours, tips. Don't forget the cost and time spent to advertise, hire and train new employees. inconsistent customer service,and dining experiences will impact customer base and return
    of new business.

Bartender

Columbus, OH

ProsEnjoy the opportunity to talk to customers.

ConsWorst management I have experienced.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove leadership of managers within the company. Increase wages and hiring standards.

A good place to work.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Farmington Hills, MI

ProsUpscale clientele, high quality, fun environment

Conslong hours, micro managed, cold

Worked for Benihana? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Benihana reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Benihana CEO Steve Shlemon. All 35 reviews posted anonymously by Benihana employees.