Benjamin Moore Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Michael Searles

Pros
  • Free lunch when visiting corporate offices with that benefit (in 48 reviews)

• As an employer BM has always been accommodating when it comes to work / life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • People have become a joke to Senior Management (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management does not listen to their customers or employees (in 12 reviews)

1. Great Place

Current Employee - Plant Engineer in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Plant Engineer in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very easy going and down to earth staff. Very open to new ideas. Things happen fast.

Cons

Extremely hot environment. A lot of change at the CEO level. Bonus pay isn't great.

Decent Place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Budd Lake, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Budd Lake, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits ... free lunch and lengthy vacation time

Cons

Bad management ... not very educated

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing

Market Training Specialist

I worked at Benjamin Moore

Pros

Financially sound company with decent benefits.

Cons

No longer offer a pension and half-dozen pensions on existing employees. Have great market share in some markets but in several major US markets are basically non existent.

Advice to Management

Several upper management people should learn the paint business and not pretend to know it.

Career growth? Maybe if you are senior management

Former Employee - Accounting in Montvale, NJ
    Former Employee - Accounting in Montvale, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonable hours; Free lunch if you are a full-time employee.

Cons

Promotions/career growth reserved for senior management employees. Company has reasonable hours as there isn't any incentive or motivation to stay past 4 or 5 p.m. Great for people looking to sharpen their skills and then bounce within 1-2 years to a better career opportunity elsewhere. Company's strategy to bring in new talent versus promoting from within will ultimately fail as the revolving doors are lubed and the "new talent" leave for other opportunities elsewhere while the "old talent" were let go and pushed out to vacate spots for the new talent. Workload is distributed among remaining employees that do the work of 3-4 people in exchange for a Brand Ambassador award for excellence.

Advice to Management

None that would change anything.

IT Department

I worked at Benjamin Moore

Pros

The company as a whole seems to be responding well to Mike Searles. He is a fit for the values that Benjamin Moore tries to uphold. Some smart people. Also, free lunch is always nice.

Cons

I would not recommend working in the IT department. You never know who is coming or going as the turnover is insanely high (50/50 between people being let go and leaving on their own accord). Outsourcing and consulting seem to take priority over actual Benjamin Moore employees. The higher up you go on the food chain, the less accountability their seems to be. The massive SAP overhaul being worked on is millions over budget and a year behind schedule and the entire company feels very uneasy about it.

Advice to Management

Please take a look under the hood and really ask the non-management folks of what they really think working in the IT department is like.

7. account executive-SC

Current Employee - Specialty Coatings in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Specialty Coatings in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Benjamin Moore

Pros

outstanding company. We are growing in a number of ways. Redistribution of company assets, the addition of our Oakland distribution center and new products. The consistent, positive message from OUR company is incredible. I cannot imagine a better place to be. Communication is the key to success, and let us all not forget that 'People Buy from People'. Trust in yourselves, believe in who you are and that is Benjamin Moore. Stand tall friends, we will learn to be lean and to lean towards each other. No more talk about what this company can do for us, but how we can make this company a viable resource for all consumers.

Cons

none at all. I will commit myself to working towards a positive impact for my team.

Advice to Management

Lets complete what we started. Continue to add to our infrastructure, hire great people, and enjoy selling against formidable competition. At the end of the day we are all volunteers; our employees, our dealers, our customers. Add Moore to your life.

Do NOT come here if you are in IT, Finance, or Legal

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time

Pros

Great paint but over priced. CEO is a good guy but cannot make tough decisions about his team.

Cons

Those three departments are a mess. Run by people who probably never painted a wall in their lives. Bad management, poor decision-making and could care less about their people, but care allot about themselves. This company was never like that, and they would never have been hired by leaders in the past.

Advice to Management

CEO is a good throw back to the past,type of person but is unwilling to get rid of those mentioned above. Perhaps because no one any good will want to come to BM. Good luck and hope Berkshire allows BM to return 10% each year instead of the 15% returned until this group took over.

9. Finance

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

History. Prior to 2008 that is.

Cons

Mid management is loaded with such-ups to bad upper management.

Advice to Management

Find paint management team that is paint knowledgeable and empathetic to its workers. They're out there. One or two were brilliant. The first bad management team let those people go in 2012 so they wouldn't be exposed for what they were should the new CEO ask. .They got exposed anyway.

Been here 15 years, never been worse than now.

Current Employee - Filling Line Operator in Pell City, AL
    Current Employee - Filling Line Operator in Pell City, AL

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've made some great friends inside this company over the years. That's the reason I'm giving two stars rather than one. There are really some great people that work in this plant. The pay is decent and the benefits are good if you have a family.

Cons

In the last 4 years I've watched this company implode from the inside out. The problems are purely management and at this plant in Pell City it starts at the top and goes down from there. The incompetence is incomprehensible unless you are inside this plant on a day to day basis. There is no fixing this problem. Time to rebuild IF corporate wants to fix.

Advice to Management

Address the issues that keep us from being successful. Quit covering up mis-fills for the sake of it hurting quality goals. Stop pushing subpar samples through the lab before the paint is ready to fill in the name of meeting production goals. End the exhaustive dog and pony shows that are designed to make the plant look like it's running efficiently. Everyone hates the 2 day rush to "get ready" for corporate visitors.

11. Contract work

Former Employee - Lab Tech in Flanders, NJ
    Former Employee - Lab Tech in Flanders, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore

Pros

Get to learn a lot about paint depending on who you work for. Will give you a solid foundation to move on to a different company. The chemists there are smart and if you ask them questions they will be happy to give you more information.

Cons

Temps have no benefits. While full-time workers start with 3 weeks paid vacation at Benjamin Moore, temps get no vacation days. The location has between 30 and 40 temps total, so when full-time positions appear- which is rare- you're unlikely to get one.

RSS Feed </> Embed