Benjamin Moore Reviews

Updated April 8, 2015
277 reviews filtered by
3.1
Michael Searles

Pros
  • Free lunch when visiting corporate offices with that benefit (in 48 reviews)

• As an employer BM has always been accommodating when it comes to work / life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is run by one or two tyrants who have everyone running scared (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management does not listen to their customers or employees (in 12 reviews)

The company has undergone drastic changes in the past 3 years all for the better.

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sales management actually cares about the employees and the dealers, something that couldn't be said when Denis Abrams was around.

Cons

Base pay could be more competitive and since the pension was canceled for long-term employees, the incentive to stick around has been removed. The "great" employees will leave for greener pastures and the mediocre and underachieving people will stick around.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to our HR department and do an independent study of compensation and you'll see that we are falling behind our competitors when it comes to pay. Value long-term employees more since they are the backbone of the company.

Great coworkers/ bad management / bad work ethics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pell City, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pell City, AL

I worked at Benjamin Moore

Pros

The best reasons are the people who make the can of Aura possible.... All the workers who start to finish, care about the job. The ones who keep integrity despite working conditions. Most of the people are close like family there.

Cons

People are unfairly treated. Doesn't matter what conditions or treatment is given. I had hoped things would get better, but it had fallen below what my expectations for a workplace environment should be like, I deserve respect and to be treated fairly. I just hate it for the people who have no option but to stay with that company.

Advice to Management

It's the good workers who this company will continue to lose if management throughout can't get their act together and treat people like humans with dignity and respect.

Lost at sea

Former Employee - Accounting in Montvale, NJ
    Former Employee - Accounting in Montvale, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free lunch and nice environment

Cons

Too many levels of management. Managers hesitant about making decisions. When I was there, they had changed leadership, and the company seemed to be adrift.

IT Project Manager

Current Employee - Project Manager in Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product and great people in the field. Company is really trying to move beyond all the management decisions and style from a few years ago. Work can be good as it helps to make us more modern and competitive. The outreach community work is something to be proud of - we are part of our community. Lots of Pros - if you are in the right department.

Cons

IT Projects are awful to be part of. From the CIO on down the management is mean and lacks continuity of decisions, clear communications and employee involvement. It is a 'do as I say' dept. Turnover in IT is high which makes it hard to keep up a happy face. If you challenge in any capacity the CIO/PMO will ensure you do not have a job for long. Conformity is the key to success.

Advice to Management

Live by the values you are promoting and hold all levels of employees to the same standards for living by them. Seek all opinions, not just those who bark the most. We all want us to succeed but if we are held back or threatened - we cannot support our future.

Field sales

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good products and respected products
    Strong heritage

Cons

Long hours
    Business model too dependent on independent owners
    Lost market share

great company

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at Benjamin Moore

Pros

employed > 4 years and changes are fast as improvements to all facets are constant. best summation of why to work at Benjamin Moore is on a top ten list I found a few years ago during company research. This company does it right:
    10. Treat everyone unequally. The key is not to treat them equally; it is to treat them all fairly.

9. Do not tolerate mediocrity. A-players don't have to or want to play with a bunch of C-players.

8. Do not have dumb rules. Great employees want to have guidelines and direction, but they don't want to have rules that get in the way of doing their jobs or that conflict with the values the company says are important.

7. Recognize outstanding performance and contributions. Behavior you want repeated should be rewarded immediately.

6. Have fun at work. The workplace should be fun. Find ways to make work and/or the work environment more relaxed and fun, and you will have happy employees who look forward to coming to work each day.

5. Keep your people informed. You've got to communicate not only the good, but also the bad and the ugly. If you don't tell them, the rumor mill will.

4. Do not micromanage. Tell them what you want done and how you want it done. Don't tell them why it needs to be done and why their job is important. Don't ask for their input on how it could be done better.

3. Develop an employee retention strategy. Employee retention deserves your attention every day. Make a list of the people you don't want to lose and, next to each name, write down what you are doing or will do to ensure that person stays engaged and on board.

2. Do employee retention interviews. Wait until a great employee is walking out the door instead and conduct an exit interview to see what you could have done differently so they would not have gone out looking for another job.

1. Make a good impression on new employees. Employees are most impressionable during the first 60 days on the job. Every bit of information gathered during this time will either reinforce your new hire's "buying decision" (to take the job) or lead to "Hire's Remorse."

Cons

accepting change and challenge may be difficult at times but can be very rewarding

Advice to Management

keep it up, we are all behind making Benjamin Moore the best company in the U.S.

Your Happiness Depends on What Group You are In

I worked at Benjamin Moore

Pros

The company growth plans are very optimistic and there is plenty of things to do to improve things. The people in general are nice and you can see that the CEO has that determination to really change the company for the better.

Cons

Your happiness or at least job satisfaction depends where you are. If you are in IT where I was then expect a very difficult and stressful work environment.

The culture is very different that in other groups and in fact is is quite opposed to the one that the company generally advertises or was known for (at least since I was in the company for years before I left).

There is no transparency, everyone is afraid of losing their jobs any day, IT leaders lack respect for its people. You can sense the general feeling of fear and the "i give up" attitude with everyone in the team. After I left, two of the CIO direct reports "left" and noone has any clue as to where the critical projects of IT really are. I've heard of late night shouting matches and it is obvious that the leadership in that area needs major improvement if not overhaul. I've been insulted myself several times.

Advice to Management

Consider reviewing the values of its management team vs what the company espouses. Seriously look at how IT is being ran. The company will only grow faster if it is led by great leaders who value people.

A challenging environment where you are rewarded for extra effort and taking chances as long as you follow the rules.

Current Employee - Customer Service in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service in New York, NY

I have been working at Benjamin Moore

Pros

Forward thinking company with a focus on the customer first and profits a close second. Dedicated to quality

Cons

Do not always ask advice of all employees on potential changes. this leads to repeating mistakes of the past

Advice to Management

Understand who the players are in any area of change and get their input before changing. You can still go the direction of your choice, but by asking for opinions it will lesson the bu,ps alog the way or at least lesson the surprises.

Amateur management and culture of blame yields poor results

Former Employee - Manager in Montvale, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Montvale, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time

Pros

There's free lunch to keep employees in the building, mostly decent co-workers to spend time with, and it's a pretty nice work space. All window dressing.

Cons

Management is awful at all levels, as the culture of blame and micromanagement yields poor results by design. Employee morale is awful, and important decisions are made by people who don't understand their impact, and who haven't had a new idea in decades.

Advice to Management

Trust the people you hire, and learn from their experience instead of making decisions that will be regretted later. Stop using raised voices and snappy comebacks as a management tool. What's awful is that as business improves management will be rewarded - but this is more because of increased investment rather than good management on the operations end.

Really need to change their ways

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time

Pros

The staff level people have wonderful personality and try to stay as optimistic.

Cons

There was a huge layoff causing a lot of the people that stayed to continue to be bitter & sarcastic. All management & upper management have visions but no plans to assist on how to achieve those visions. This is unfair, confusing and frustrating for all those staff people.

Advice to Management

Upper Management should come up with a clear plan and share with staff to accomplish.