Benjamin Moore

www.benjaminmoore.com

Benjamin Moore Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Michael Searles

Pros
  • Free lunch when visiting corporate offices with that benefit(in 38 reviews)

• The company places value on work-life balance(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is run by one or two tyrants who have everyone running scared(in 11 reviews)

• Many new hires ( middle to upper management) are from outside the organization(in 10 reviews)

Very positive company with great morale.

Procurement (Current Employee) Montvale, NJ

ProsI've been with the company for 5 months and it's been a great experience. Everyone is willing to help each other out, managers are friendly and flexible with time-off and home emergencies, and I'm being recognized for my work that I'm putting in.

ConsThe only negative thing I would say is that the systems in place are very old. However, with that said, I am part of a team that is working on a whole system upgrade which will make life very easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy time here thus far has been positive in terms of management pushing me to get training, grow through new experiences, and keeping organized by following up to see how I'm handling the workload.

Great People Great Future

Procurement (Current Employee) Montvale, NJ

ProsThe company has a clearly defined strategy and has worked hard to engage the workforce. The benefits are comparable to other large organizations (although it does take a lot of service to reach the 4th week of vacation). The company places value on work-life balance. The goal is to get your work done - not stay until 7PM every night. There was a shuffle at the top, but they've got it right now. They've also brought in leaders and seasoned professionals from other remarkable organizations to raise the bar in critical functions. it is an exciting place to work right now.

ConsTo a large degree, it seems that career paths are kept within discipline - very few people are promoted to roles outside of their current department. If that department is small, it may take a while to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild more bench strength by encouraging strong performing professionals to seek opportunities in other areas of the business. It's better to build that cross functional knowledge as opposed to letting talented people leave for better positions.

Benjamin Moore - Confused Conflicted and Cannibalized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prossalaries are on higher side
    free lunch
    Xmas week off

ConsWhere do I start? Where do I end?
    Heavy Political maneuvering by incompetents
    Higher ups will do anything to long standing employees to cover their own incompetence
    Company encourages night of the long knives approach toward workers who actually do the work
    Company has gotten rid of anyone who actually grew the business and knew the paint business
    Canniibalizing of departments so that higher ups get to keep their jobs after bad leadership prevails
    Big time scapegoating by the insecure and incompetent middle to upper management
    Company uses PIP to NOT pay previously successful workers a severance package
    Constant change and bad leadership many goals tasks and directives given with no direction bad communication and incompetence
    Company encourages tug of wars between departments that work together
    Certain departments making decisions in areas they have no business being involved in
    Company does not like "opinions"
    Goal structure and rating system must be changed
    working on dozens of projects with no time to complete in a realistic expectation
    a manufacturer pretending to be a retailer
    bad direction bad leadership miss-appropriation of resources and talent
    deteriorating business culture
    certain employees get away with "murder" because of gender
    Constant change
    Very low moral throughout entire culture
    too many meeting meetings on meetings nothing gets done
    constant change to projects / projects constantly put on hold and go nowhere
    middle and upper management have to also be rated by those who report to them
    2 CEOs before current one were fired for miss-appropriation of company money/funds and sexual harassment
    Letting go of people who really worked hard and cared about the brand and company
    Decided to let go many and hire people with no idea what they are involved in
    Mad rush to finish projects while others put aside then project gets shelves not enough time to complete then execs use this as excuse for less than satisfactory ratings
    They keep raising the prices of their product beginning to lose many customers
    Company does nothing to stop cronyism, personal favoritism, and yes sexual cavorting to gain job status/promotions

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue
    re-structure yet again - possibly bring back those tossed out in the on-going purge
    sell maybe another entity can save the company and make it profitable

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Internal Saboteurs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros135 year old company, reputation of quality products, loyal consumers, though a small segment

Consinternal factions spent over a decade wasting millions in company assets to insure that modern B2B, branding and marketing initiatives failed. Fear driven regional management undermined the company's relationships with its own customers to maintain control and status in qou. In field behavior is comparable to high school cliques. A corporate environment in which half truths, misconceptions, deeply imbedded fear and ignorance beyond the company culture bubble repeats itself loudly, rudely until it convinces itself these are truths on which to base a business plan or vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some integrity and wallow in it. Drag your regional directors and sales managers through it a few times. Hire professionals and creatives for a role and give them the authority to do the work. Give the authority of implementaion to those accountable for the results.

Excellent! I have 30+ years experience. Teamwork at Benjamin Moore is the best I have ever experienced at any company.

ProsCaring and family oriented environment. New ideas and innovations are encouraged and listened to. Great balance of industry veterans and new experts from other industries. Business is getting stronger and dealers seem to really appreciate the commitment and new found focus on their success. Being a Berkshire Hathaway company means there is longterm financial stability and no threat of the company ever being sold. Strong brand, great products and talented coworkers are rewarding to be part of.

ConsThe recession of 2008 and the removal of two CEOs created a lot of changes and anxiety amongst employees. The transparency brought by the current CEO shows that the dark clouds are in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe other day, Mike Searles the CEO, told all employees during a Town Hall meeting that "...we are done apologizing and playing defense. Starting now we are going on the offense...". Everyone applauded....Senior management should continue doing what they are doing. It seems to be working.

A good company to work for--they treat you well and you can make your mark.

ProsPerks are nice, open chains of communication. If you want to succeed here, you can--all you have to do is take responsibility to make a difference. Management team transparency has gotten markedly better in last few years and have worked to create a positive team environment.

ConsThis is a mid-sized company that has challenges you'd expect---too small to be completely bureacratic, but too big to be totally nimble. Key is finding out how to get done what you want to get done and don't be afraid to challenge the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to challenge the "old ways" of doing business, while staying true to the values of Benjamin Moore. Tough having third CEO in 3 years, but Mike Searles is the right guy--he has instilled a calmer, more personal style to the culture and is genuine. How many other CEOs open the door for you and help you make a cup of coffee?

Every year is different.

ProsFree lunch, great brand that sells itself, financially stable.

ConsPolitics, promotions go to hand picked individuals with not enough experience, significant senior management turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany is headed in the right direction and starting to care about the employees. This is building morale back. Need to deter anything that can let this slip away again.

Fantastic! I have worked here for over 35 years and had a chance to do a number of different things.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Montvale, NJ

ProsFamily type culture, being part of Berkshire Hathaway, being part of an iconic brand. Since we are not a multi billion $ company (yet) you really have an opportunity to make an impact every day. The people who work here are part of my extended family. The free lunch is a nice perk but not why I have been here so long.

ConsEvery company has its challenges. The economic downturn impacted Benjamin Moore like every other business in the construction industry. These types of things require tough decisions (people / facilities) and in the case of our company it was also multiple changes at the top in a short period of time. It was chaotic but has made us a much stronger company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're on a roll - lets keep it going.

Great experience so far!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Montvale, NJ

ProsI am relatively new to the company but so far I have been really impressed. Everyone is extremely pleasant and fun to work with. Management is respectful, appreciative of efforts, and seems genuinely interested in improving. I left a company with a very toxic environment so this place is a breath of fresh air! And free lunch is always a nice perk!

ConsNot modernized in terms of systems; alot of opportunities there! There doesn't seem to be a well developed onboarding process so my boss and I had to figure out many things on our own.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep continuing to strive for improvement in terms of sales and company culture!

Bright Future Ahead!

ProsThe company brand is unparalleled. The passion and knowledge of many long time employees as well as the passion that new folks bring in the door when they join the company seems to be a winning combination. The CEO, Mike Searles, is approachable, honest, proactive, committed, respectful, fair and a genuinely nice guy. Couldn't have a better leader at the helm. The current senior leadership team seems to be gelling and supportive of the company's strategy. There is a positive energy that is building both in HQ and in the other locations.

ConsThe company has a lot to accomplish in order to position for the future. All the change can be very tiring but most employees are all pulling together to move the needle. A few folks seem like they aren't bought in to the future or can't help but default to conspiracy or doomsday theories. I hope that changes. Another con is that there are a lot of reviews that seem to be painting a very different picture than what is actually currently happening in the company. That is really unfortunate since there is so much good to report!!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to recognize employees for their efforts and keep showing them the vision for the future. It's a lot easier to stay in the race when you know where the finish line is and that your efforts are on the right track. Keep giving employees the reason to believe...and we will.

Worked for Benjamin Moore? Contribute to the Community!