Benjamin Moore Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014

2.7

Michael Searles

Pros
  • Free lunch when visiting corporate offices with that benefit (in 38 reviews)

• The company places value on work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is run by one or two tyrants who have everyone running scared (in 11 reviews)

• Many new hires ( middle to upper management) are from outside the organization (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

A company that chooses profits over people will lose both. Is it too late? Ask Mike.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

New CEO (3rd in 3 years) Mike Searles seems to be a kind and competant leader, the combo not seen at BM in many years. It's possible this may be a great company again if he has the guts to make the hard choices at the upper management level and throw away the modern corporate America playbook. BM has famously great products and people, which drive customer loyalty. There is potential here for a positive turnaround.

Cons

This used to be a company that people didn't ever want to leave, and often promoted from within. The Company was your career. There was no work/life balance because the work was your life and you were proud to bleed BM blue. Sometime in the last decade, like most of corporate America, it devalued the employee, treating them more like cattle, and encouraging company-hopping by mostly hiring management from the outside. We were told by the previous CEO that anyone who stayed more than 5 years has no ambition. So sad. Senior leadership has recently moved themselves from the center of the building among the little people to their own executive wing, and literally locked the doors behind them. No lines to read between there.

Fight the good fight Mike. Value and reward your dedicated employees and you will see BM once again flourish if relationships (employee to employee as well as employee to customer) are allowed to mend and grow again. Promote from within whenever possible. There is an enormous talent pool here with great potential. Realize that potential and you will realize great dedication and profit.
    And for God's sake, would someone please land a house on the CAO? We're not going to get anywhere with her outsourcing the cattle to India! She embodies everything that is wrong at BM. Our company culture does not need to be redefined, it needs to be rediscovered.

Once a great place to work; continues to decline.

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time

Pros

Free Lunch, discount on paint, other Berkshire Hathaway discounts. Established coworkers are friendly.

Cons

Cuts in compensation ( froze our pension plan). Long time employees can be targeted. Low moral. Outside people hired to fill positions rather than from within. Many people are here with 10-15 years without a promotion. New employees are distant (its just a job to them).
    Now trying to fit modern management and systems with old style business plan; and some old style management. (It is fun to see how this turns out).
    Outsource IT, now it takes days to replace printer cartridges. Other issues take long time to fix or IT does not understand the issues.

Long term management still manages as if its the 1960's ( Think "Mad Men"). New managers do not understand the paint business and may drive us into the ground before they do.

In my long career employee treatment has gone from outdated to favorable and recently to poor.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company is very stable, especially as part of Berkshire Hathaway, pay and HR policies have gone from pretty good to mediocre.

Cons

Company creates programs that get added to existing responsibilities causing excessive demands on time, reporting required on-line but desk time is discouraged.

It has been stated that the role of management is to facilitate employees in successfully achieving their goals but this isn't happening. Feedback from the field is ignored. The mantra is "Just do it" or "Make it look like your doing it". Programs are developed in HQ by people who don't have field experience and are not listening to feedback. Middle managers are messengers who don't invite or accept feedback, possibly because their opinions are not valued or accepted. Big part of problem is communication by e-mail, phone, webinar, conference call with no forum to meet, delevop understanding, teamwork.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

While I enjoy my job, the constant firing and uncertainty of the company is stressful.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

They make good products and have great potential. Lots of great people work for the company. Under the proper leadership we could grow substantially. I feel Mike is that man.

Cons

Upper management does not listen to their customers or employees. They are focused on image (which is important) so much that they lose focus on selling more paint.

You are doing better since Mike became CEO, but LISTEN and take the advice of customers and field reps seriously. Become a partner with our customers and ask what we can do for them, and in return we will seldom have to ask them to do something for us.

Moving in the Right Direction

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benjamin Moore remains a good career opportunity for two reasons: its people and its reputable products. You will not find more proud employees in any other company.

Cons

Albeit, every corporation has pros / cons, but at Benjamin Moore, the MAIN concern for any of the personnel is job security. Nothing is worse than leaving a Fortune 500 company with a solid career path, only to feel that I could be called next week and be informed that I do not have a job. I should be enjoying my family & career, but the weight of uncertainty takes its toll, both physically and mentally. Most of the newcomers in the company are not totally convinced that their leap of faith into BMC was the correct, long-term decision and that upsets me. I am proud of Benjamin Moore and want to be the catalyst that propels this company into the next level.

Please, do not publicize any future firings / layoffs via emails / conference calls. Similar to your personal home, family business should stay within the doors. What do we accomplish by sending out an email reminding everyone that their job, too, could be in jeopardy? This creates a negative corporate culture that turns our creative energies into quiet "yes" men. We need ideas, flexibility to make decisions (take off the handcuffs--allow the field to make real decisions with simple guidelines to get the job done). and nimbleness. We may not have several layers of management, but sometimes, it feels like turning the Titanic with a trolling motor. We're small (relatively) and should be quick to introduce products / programs.

Speaking of new products / services / programs, do not introduce anything to the field reps until the supporting materials (brochures, sell sheets, legal agreements, etc) are readily available or the distribution is in place. I could elaborate on this with examples of poorly planned product introductions, but the reps need the (support) tools to effectively launch the product. Simply put: If the field requires three (3) critical pieces of support to present the idea to the customers, ensure that all three are ready. Some launches did not go into full swing (and perhaps lost momentum) solely due to the materials not being readily available.

Most of the time a good company

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I like what I do, I'm still haveing more good days than bad, I've worked for two other paint companies and none were perfect. BM is well know respected brand, good people to work with

Cons

It's hard working and looking over your shoulder, are they going to let me go next ? What will happen if I'm not working 70 plus hours a week. When I take a vacation, family or motocycle I carry my laptop, do work most every day, conference calls etc. Sometimes I feel like I'm working with ADHA, there is so much/ program/ promotions/ last minute requests coming at me at once and I have to be an expert with them all, even the ones that come out only half done keep jumping from one to the next.

Get out and speak with more of the Retailers, not all, maybe the ones doing over million dollars in sales. They all have concerns and idea for business, see the differences in their stores, locations what makes them unique.

A company with great products that is workinghard to become the best place to work in the paint industry.

Current Employee - Territory Representative
    Current Employee - Territory Representative

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most managers and directors will actually pick up their own phone and talk to you if you call with a question, concern or suggestion for an area where the company could improve they way it does things both internally and with its customers. This is important if you work in another part of the country outside of HQ in New Jersey.
    Considering how many companies have severly cut back on their benefit packages I would have to say that their medical benefits, time off and 401k plan are quite a bit above average.
    This company has many employees in all areas that have been here for many years. They are always willing to help out a new hire with answers to how certain things are done or who is the appropriate person to contact for a particular issue.

Cons

The initial training program for territory reps needs improving. I was expecting more from a company with Benjamin Moore's size, longevity and reputation within the industry. Their sales team expansion and territory realignment initiative meant that for the first time in many years they had to hire a number of new reps. Some of them like me, are new to the paint industry. Working with experienced reps in the field has been very helpful for the initial training phase but they need to increase the classroom portion of the onboarding process to include more training on products, industry, competitors and customer relations management tracking.

Continue your quest for constant internal and external process improvement and keep looking for people with experience from other industries to bring on board. Listen to your people in the field who are in daily contact with our customers, the independent retailer. They are the best guage of whether or not your efforts at improving the way we do business to improve the bottom line are actually working.

This is a place where motivated people can make a difference

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time

Pros

- Collaborative environment
    - Good pay
    - Nice total compensation package
    - Reasonable paid time off
    - Excellent products to sell

Cons

- Poor communication between levels of leadership
    - No program managers or project managers. Never one person in charge. Always "management by committee"
    - Unfocused marketing

- Agree on the identity we want to portray in the marketplace. We are a strong brand. We need to be who we are, not who we think consumers want us to be.
    - Determine a course of action and stick with it for a while. We tend to pull the plug on things too early.
    - Keep listening to the retailers...they like it when we do that. We've been doing better lately....

The company used to be great to work for, a few years back they decided they wanted to be like everyone else so we are.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Johnstown, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Johnstown, NY

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Its a steady job with some benefits like everyone else.

Cons

No chain of command, everyone does anything no family values as before nepotism policy Family members would insure each towed the line. Favoritism for job openings.

We should not have changed our ways as everyone else did, we use to be the best place to work, benefits, pay scale retirement now were not at least in this NY.

By far the most dynamic, talented and incredible gourp of people that I've ever worked with--an incredible organizaton!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for less than a year

Pros

Dynamic Leadership, Professional Environment, Company Committed to Continuous Improvement, Wonderful Product Line, Great HR Parters, Collabroative Environment and Unbelievable Free Company Lunch Every Day. Company Truly Cares About Its Associates. Talent is Oozing From Every Corner of the Benjamin Moore Universe and Dealers are Nothing Short of Awesome.

Cons

Chairs at Town Hall Meetings are Not Soft Enough, seriously though...I came from a Retail background to BM only 5 weeks into my new career. I love my job and the people I work for and with are incredible & awesome. It is a privelege to be here at Benjamin Moore.

Keep on Doing What You are Doing! It is an Honor to Work for an Iconic Company who is Fully Committed to Serving Independant Retailers by Providing Best in Class American Made Product. Keep Focusing on our Dealers and Keep Innovating the Best Product on the Planet.

Worked for Benjamin Moore? Contribute to the Community!