Benjamin Moore

Updated February 28, 2015
Updated February 28, 2015
3.1

Michael Searles

Pros
  • Free lunch when visiting corporate offices with that benefit (in 48 reviews)

• As an employer BM has always been accommodating when it comes to work / life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is run by one or two tyrants who have everyone running scared (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management does not listen to their customers or employees (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

A challenging environment where you are rewarded for extra effort and taking chances as long as you follow the rules.

Current Employee - Customer Service in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service in New York, NY

I have been working at Benjamin Moore

Pros

Forward thinking company with a focus on the customer first and profits a close second. Dedicated to quality

Cons

Do not always ask advice of all employees on potential changes. this leads to repeating mistakes of the past

Understand who the players are in any area of change and get their input before changing. You can still go the direction of your choice, but by asking for opinions it will lesson the bu,ps alog the way or at least lesson the surprises.

great company

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at Benjamin Moore

Pros

employed > 4 years and changes are fast as improvements to all facets are constant. best summation of why to work at Benjamin Moore is on a top ten list I found a few years ago during company research. This company does it right:
    10. Treat everyone unequally. The key is not to treat them equally; it is to treat them all fairly.

9. Do not tolerate mediocrity. A-players don't have to or want to play with a bunch of C-players.

8. Do not have dumb rules. Great employees want to have guidelines and direction, but they don't want to have rules that get in the way of doing their jobs or that conflict with the values the company says are important.

7. Recognize outstanding performance and contributions. Behavior you want repeated should be rewarded immediately.

6. Have fun at work. The workplace should be fun. Find ways to make work and/or the work environment more relaxed and fun, and you will have happy employees who look forward to coming to work each day.

5. Keep your people informed. You've got to communicate not only the good, but also the bad and the ugly. If you don't tell them, the rumor mill will.

4. Do not micromanage. Tell them what you want done and how you want it done. Don't tell them why it needs to be done and why their job is important. Don't ask for their input on how it could be done better.

3. Develop an employee retention strategy. Employee retention deserves your attention every day. Make a list of the people you don't want to lose and, next to each name, write down what you are doing or will do to ensure that person stays engaged and on board.

2. Do employee retention interviews. Wait until a great employee is walking out the door instead and conduct an exit interview to see what you could have done differently so they would not have gone out looking for another job.

1. Make a good impression on new employees. Employees are most impressionable during the first 60 days on the job. Every bit of information gathered during this time will either reinforce your new hire's "buying decision" (to take the job) or lead to "Hire's Remorse."

Cons

accepting change and challenge may be difficult at times but can be very rewarding

keep it up, we are all behind making Benjamin Moore the best company in the U.S.

The ONLY thing that has been positive at BM over the last 24 months is our new CEO Mike Searles

I have been working at Benjamin Moore

Pros

Mike is someone who BM would have hired when he was in his 20's. He is in the mold that makes us proud to be employees of this great company.

Cons

I still work here and am praying I can get 6-7 more years to retire from BM. My main concern is the CAO and CIO who think very differently than us and do not care about us as employees. They are advising Mike and that scares me. Cutting SGA expenses after the late implemtation of SAP will happen and people will lose their jobs directly or through business process outsourcing. It's coming.

Mike for the long term sake of the company please realize that your employes are the most important asset for long term stability. The CAO and CIO are not like the rest of of us and please see through the external veneer of "Hello Mike try some mm peanuts routine, it's classlees.

Really need to change their ways

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time

Pros

The staff level people have wonderful personality and try to stay as optimistic.

Cons

There was a huge layoff causing a lot of the people that stayed to continue to be bitter & sarcastic. All management & upper management have visions but no plans to assist on how to achieve those visions. This is unfair, confusing and frustrating for all those staff people.

Upper Management should come up with a clear plan and share with staff to accomplish.

Recent Reviews

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time

Pros

Overall a good company with stability.

Cons

A few "old timers" who like to live in the past and whine about the future.

The recent posts about the CIO and CAO couldn't be more wrong and clearly written by the ill-informed. (1) The outsourcing was never a cost reduction measure and it happened a year ago. It's time to move on and stop complaining. (2) Every ERP implementation is challenging and ours is no different. (3) The CEO is no dummy. To say people have him fooled or are "appeasing" him is laughable. (4) It is obvious to those of us involved exactly who is posting commentary about IT and doing so without facts! (yes, it is the SAME person for all of the recent posts-- one bad apple….)

Employees have lost faith in empty suit CIO.

I have been working at Benjamin Moore

Pros

IT is barely functioning under the current CIO. At least we can take orders and ship paint with old software. See below what has happened in last 18 months and the results.

Cons

1. Outsourcing a joke. No cost savings.
    2. 50% IT response rate vs. 2 years ago.
    3. CIO afraid to move the IBM hardware to Atos for fear of shutting the company down.
    4. CAO and CIO playing with budget figures to appease the CEO. CEO in the dark.
    5. CIO hired directors putting forth unneccsary IT projects as the the only project that matters is the ERP installation. Proving my job is necessary routine.
    6. ERP installation will cost twice as much as originally budgeted. Yes it will get in with double the time. CIO and CAO should be held responsible for this failure and cost.
    7. Most phones still do not work well in the building. A joke after $100k attenna.
    8. IT constant shuffle of new IT employees over and over again shows departments incompetence.
    9. CIO has never been in the trenches for a new ERP system and is basically lost.
    10. CIO comes from a background that is consultant heavy and this is his only competance. Lost otherwise.

The whole company knows this and the CEO must turn some of his attention to replace the incompetence that is being paid over $230,000 and will cost the company another 2-3 million.

Great products, poor leadership

I worked at Benjamin Moore

Pros

Easy product to sell, great perks and benefits.

Cons

Middle and upper management is horrible, high turn over at executive level. On boarding and training is non existent.

great place to gain knowledge and sharpen skills

Current Employee - Tax Accountant in Montvale, VA
    Current Employee - Tax Accountant in Montvale, VA

I have been working at Benjamin Moore

Pros

free lunch, nice coworker, good benefits

Cons

little or no career growth opportunity for young employees

give young employees more career advancement opportunities

no more free lunch

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Benjamin Moore

Pros

Well the number one pro has just been eliminated - no more free lunch. It's a job - not a career for most of us.

Cons

In IT turnover is constant - either the new hires are incompetent and fired or stressed out and quit and long time employees transfer out if possible and the rest of us just hang in there and try to make lemonade out of lemons.

It's a shame that so much good talent was let go in favor of outsourcing. With some training and system upgrades the service levels would be much better and users happier - probably would have cost a lot less also. The last 6 months the systems and applications have had more down time that the last 10 yrs put together.

Good company to work

I worked at Benjamin Moore

Pros

Training and opportunities for new employees

Cons

Unstable upper management leaving tension on employees

Listen to employees who are in contact to customers.