Benjamin Moore

Updated November 16, 2014
Updated November 16, 2014
2.9

Michael Searles

Pros
  • Free lunch when visiting corporate offices with that benefit (in 48 reviews)

• As an employer BM has always been accommodating when it comes to work / life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is run by one or two tyrants who have everyone running scared (in 13 reviews)

• A lot of changes in upper management; an old-boy culture that's changing (but not yet fast enough) (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Culture, Good People, Good Company.

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, room to advance, over all nice benefit package (vacation time +++), a lot of time is invested into the community, the people on the ground level are great and team driven culture.

Cons

advancement is at a snails pace, diminishing health benefits (employee contribution for heath insurance is high and low coverage).

you have to believe in the values you teach before those values can be passed down.

Employees losing faith in CIO. CEO needs to act.

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time

Pros

New CEO is a good guy. But he must act to restore faith within the company and also to restore BM standing in the coating business. Outsourcing to a foreign company has hurt the reputation of a American company and therefore gallonage sales.

Cons

CIO is known within the NJ IT community as an empty suit. His reaction to all issues is to bring in another consulting company to FIX the PROBLEM. This is his MO. The outsourcing company is performing at 50% of the prior IT internal response and will eventually lead to higher costs beyond the contract benchmark. Also IT has been allowed to hire many new employees cutting into any perceived savings. Outsourcing is a mess and we all know it. The ERP project is already 12 months behind for part #1. This will cost the company $10-15 million more in implementation costs than originally budgeted regardless of contract language. Wipro will not work for free and for 11 months in 2015. Deliverables or not. Wipro most likely has contract language to have a working SAP system not one in which BM keeps changing deliverables. Either pay them more or they will sue us? Talk of we are on Budget is a smoke screen. Yes we are on budget for the 2,3,4 revision ERP budget. lol. This should not be tolerable for such a position and HIGH salary. The CEO is being naïve is he does think that the CAO and CIO are in kahoots to spin the numbers. Remember everyone, $15 million is bottom line and is equal to 2 months-profits- of revenue sales.

Mike (CEO) are you going to allow this type of incompetence?

A good company

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The brand is a great product and has been around a long time. There are many good hardworking people who care and focus their time and energy on working hard to continue the success of the company.

Cons

The complainers that do nothing but write bad post and do nothing to improve whatever has them unhappy except complain. If you don't like it leave. The doors open!

Yes, like all companies there are things that each of us would like to see changed.

The new CEO is on the right path, keep it going!

They are a good company to work for. I've been with them for quite a few years and I love my job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Yearly performance rewards like pay raises & bonus's have always been good for me. You do the work, you get the reward.

Cons

I've watched it change from a family company to corporate driven. No fault to them, it's just the way business is nowadays.

Don't try and make a Career here

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Was a great place to work at before the first round of lay offs, Then the lay offs came year after year after year,

Cons

Suck up management style from Markets up to Corporate Headquarters. New Managers are the ones who were the biggest of this bunch.

Get rid of theprevious Regional Managers

$125 million to update IT was a blatant lie.

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

New CEO hired one CEO too late. How we were lied to by former CEO and current CAO.

Cons

Former CEO and current CAO let the entire company to believe that IT needed $125 million to be updated from a hardware prospective. Not true. BM had just spent 10 million the year before to upgrade its IBM hardware and it's Oracle hardware to the latest hardware available. Maybe IT needed $2million to update its others servers that's it. All this accomplished was to create over 5000 anti brand ambassadors. Just plain stupid. The former CEO had to create change and this is the direction he chose. How else can you explain that the old software is still running the company to this day. WAKE UP BM Remove the CAO along with the trash she brought in. Save the company.

Mike Searles (CEO)bring your own people in. Please.

Going Downhill

Former Employee - Former Employees in Flanders, NJ
    Former Employee - Former Employees in Flanders, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best benefits were excellent vacation package and free lunches. In addition, support was provided in continuous education in the relevant field.

Cons

This company is lack of collective synergy in moving the company positively forward. Too much un-necessary politics and employees place too much attention on personal gains at the expense of company benefits.

The new management must address the following challenges.
    1. Key external challenge: market share
    2. Key internal challenge: do not displace experienced and knowledgeable employees with new ones to drive lower salary expenditure. Please assess their talent and proven contributions before rushing to a senseless decision.
    Please adopt a confidential "Exit Interview" for useful information that is accessible by the CEO only.

Benjamin Moore is a fine place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, free lunch, name recognition

Cons

It's not very easy to move ahead within the company.

Invest time with your employees.

Great people

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, free lunch, team work

Cons

Pay is kind of low

Talk to your staff more to keep everyone in the loop

Too many reorgs

Former Employee - Manager in Montvale, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Montvale, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Free cafeteria. Decent benefits. At one time, I worked with an incredible team of people.

Cons

One word- Reorganization. You can almost set your watch by it. There is a constant shuffling of people. Frequent layoffs and the feeling of unrest puts everyone on edge.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Get some solid business plans together and reward the people doing the work.