Benjamin Moore

Benjamin Moore Reviews

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014

Michael Searles

Pros
  • Free lunch when visiting corporate offices with that benefit (in 48 reviews)

• As an employer BM has always been accommodating when it comes to work / life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is run by one or two tyrants who have everyone running scared (in 14 reviews)

• Upper management does not listen to their customers or employees (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Leadership is Listening Again

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Our Leadership team seems to be gelling and focused on growth. They are listening to both employees and customers which is starting to show results with both groups. Our recent NASC was the best I can remember and it was very cross functional and well done. Great information and team building went on all week showing our strategy is strong. Marketing plans very exciting for 2015 great results should follow.

Cons

Too many changes which creates unrest in our HQ group, seems to be stabilizing. Growth opportunities need to be better defined and outlined so employees can know what to do to grow. IT struggling with key initiative, which has all concerned. Products are overall excellent, however, there is some work that needs to be done to better represent the reputation. Product group needs to be more transparent and communicate better.

Continue to listen. Engage the field team and its leadership as much as possible they understand the dealers and end customers. Continue to be visible in the field, recent travel by leadership is benefiting our dealers, because they see the change in approach and willingness to hear what is needed to grow. Take a close look at the IT investment, what is going on there.

My experience with Benjamin Moore was amazing. Great pay and OT always available to all.

Former Employee - Order Picker in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Order Picker in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Inside if a warehouse in winter. Very demanding work but worth it and work life balance is amazing weekend off .

Cons

Not really anything bad I can say. I had transportation issues that's why I had to leave.

Management was great. They made the environment very easy to work in and they were on the floor with us most of the time.

CIO buys more time with recent firings

I have been working at Benjamin Moore

Pros

Company still running on old software on in house IBM hardware. Thank goodness.

Cons

CIO takes action to deflect late implementation of new ERP software by letting go ERP leaders and therefore blaming millions more in additional cost on others rather than himself. Does not the buck stop with the CIO in the company? We all think it should. Basically this has become a back office implemtation worth millions which will do absolutely zero to help sales, marketing, dealer loyalty, and dealer service levels. Except it will hurt the bottom line. Well the financial information may come in a pretty new report format.

CIO should be held responsible for millions in additional costs. Here comes another consulting company!

Mike (CEO) congrats on the new CMO. Now all that is missing is a LOYAL CFO.

I have been working at Benjamin Moore

Pros

Mike is working to cement his senior staff that is well respected within the company.

Cons

Need a CFO therefore eliminating the CAO role. The CAO is depised by 99% of the rank and file due to her elimination of hundreds of loyal BM employees, making financial employees reapply to their jobs and overall ego and I am better than you attitude. Mike just ask your staff, not HR, she hired her, for the truth. If Tracy, CHairman, is considering her as the next President she is dead wrong. She would be better off finding another women to run the company. Every department fears for thier job with that women. She considers herself above the company.

Mike do the right thing tell Tracy the truth about the CAO and then hire a LOYAL CFO. One you can trust. We will love you for it.

Great company!

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Benjamin Moore

Pros

Leadership listens, field sales reps are really stepping up and increasing sales and trust with our dealers.

Cons

Constant change with HQ and HQ not being cognizant of field sales reps time restraints for daily webinars, calls, etc.

Antiquated Systems

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Montvale, NJ
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Montvale, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most departments were congenial, cooperative and pleasant.

Cons

Antiquated IT systems; green bar paper, no interface.

Good Culture, Good People, Good Company.

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, room to advance, over all nice benefit package (vacation time +++), a lot of time is invested into the community, the people on the ground level are great and team driven culture.

Cons

advancement is at a snails pace, diminishing health benefits (employee contribution for heath insurance is high and low coverage).

you have to believe in the values you teach before those values can be passed down.

A good company

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The brand is a great product and has been around a long time. There are many good hardworking people who care and focus their time and energy on working hard to continue the success of the company.

Cons

The complainers that do nothing but write bad post and do nothing to improve whatever has them unhappy except complain. If you don't like it leave. The doors open!

Yes, like all companies there are things that each of us would like to see changed.

The new CEO is on the right path, keep it going!

Going Downhill

Former Employee - Former Employees in Flanders, NJ
    Former Employee - Former Employees in Flanders, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best benefits were excellent vacation package and free lunches. In addition, support was provided in continuous education in the relevant field.

Cons

This company is lack of collective synergy in moving the company positively forward. Too much un-necessary politics and employees place too much attention on personal gains at the expense of company benefits.

The new management must address the following challenges.
    1. Key external challenge: market share
    2. Key internal challenge: do not displace experienced and knowledgeable employees with new ones to drive lower salary expenditure. Please assess their talent and proven contributions before rushing to a senseless decision.
    Please adopt a confidential "Exit Interview" for useful information that is accessible by the CEO only.

They are a good company to work for. I've been with them for quite a few years and I love my job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Yearly performance rewards like pay raises & bonus's have always been good for me. You do the work, you get the reward.

Cons

I've watched it change from a family company to corporate driven. No fault to them, it's just the way business is nowadays.