Benjamin Moore

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.7

Michael Searles

Pros
  • Free lunch when visiting corporate offices with that benefit (in 38 reviews)

• The company places value on work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is run by one or two tyrants who have everyone running scared (in 11 reviews)

• Many new hires ( middle to upper management) are from outside the organization (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

A company that chooses profits over people will lose both. Is it too late? Ask Mike.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

New CEO (3rd in 3 years) Mike Searles seems to be a kind and competant leader, the combo not seen at BM in many years. It's possible this may be a great company again if he has the guts to make the hard choices at the upper management level and throw away the modern corporate America playbook. BM has famously great products and people, which drive customer loyalty. There is potential here for a positive turnaround.

Cons

This used to be a company that people didn't ever want to leave, and often promoted from within. The Company was your career. There was no work/life balance because the work was your life and you were proud to bleed BM blue. Sometime in the last decade, like most of corporate America, it devalued the employee, treating them more like cattle, and encouraging company-hopping by mostly hiring management from the outside. We were told by the previous CEO that anyone who stayed more than 5 years has no ambition. So sad. Senior leadership has recently moved themselves from the center of the building among the little people to their own executive wing, and literally locked the doors behind them. No lines to read between there.

Fight the good fight Mike. Value and reward your dedicated employees and you will see BM once again flourish if relationships (employee to employee as well as employee to customer) are allowed to mend and grow again. Promote from within whenever possible. There is an enormous talent pool here with great potential. Realize that potential and you will realize great dedication and profit.
    And for God's sake, would someone please land a house on the CAO? We're not going to get anywhere with her outsourcing the cattle to India! She embodies everything that is wrong at BM. Our company culture does not need to be redefined, it needs to be rediscovered.

Used to be a good company to work for

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Used to be a good company to work for before June 2012. Part of Berkshire Hathaway. Free lunches. Colorful office.

Cons

Salaries below the market. Since June 2012 company has lost many excellent employees due to ill-considered restructuring . Lots of corporate politics with new management.

More positive before Berkshire

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The "Brand" still has legs but they are nowhere as strong as they used to be. It's like a horse that was 'run hard and put away wet'

Cons

Making the management turnstile understand these basic facts:

1.) This was a Billion Dollar revenue stream before the Global Recession. Had it just kept pace with inflation it would be well over that today. It's less than a billion now.

2.) Then we had nearly 3,000 employees now we are nearing less than 2,000. Why?

3.) Each day even a modest turnaround becomes more a fantasy than a realistic outcome as the majors continue to graze on our dwindling share.

It's all on glassdoor and much of it very good but in reality it may simply be too late and for sure will be if yet another CEO comes 'a callin'.

Even a so called 10 fold increase in advertising will not move any sales needles. Everyone has seen that movie before.

Oh, and be honest. Reveal the REAL plans for further consolidation. Real revenue and employment can't continue to shrink the way it has without ushering in more of the same.

Finally, the current plight is infused with irony. Abrams' grand big-box scheme may be the only logical solution left. Halfway in bed with Lowe's already (with Orchard Supply) why not go all the way?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company still struggling

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company still offers an excellent product line and superior color choices.
    Strong, professional, knowledgable sales force.

Cons

It is very difficult to tell where this company is heading. Many Employees have been forced out. Very weak Human Resources department. Doesn't seem to have any value in the company.
    IT outsourcing has not been successful. Too many problems with the responsiveness of the outsource company,ATOS. They are not being managed successfully by the BM IT management staff retained for that purpose.CIO needs to reevaluate the competency level of his support team and make changes ASAP.

Maintain product excellence.
    Restore Employee confidence.

Proceed with Caution

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Montvale, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Montvale, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful office building, quality product, decent benefits package

Cons

Declining sales, management turmoil and you must be adept at corporate politics , more so than your actual contribution to the bottom line , to succeed here on any level. Job security is a constant concern for most and despite satisfactory reviews people are terminated without any prior discussion or warning.

My experience at Benjamin Moore was very poor due to my manager who is clearly concerned with his own career advancement and not Benjamin Moore's growth and success - narcism at its very worst. Mike Searles has made a positive difference and I wish him success in turning the company around. I believe he is a strong leader and a genuinely nice person. However, I think he needs to keep his eyes open and carefully scrutinize his executive team from many perspectives. The principles of Foundation are not followed by certain executives which is the reason for many of the poor reviews of the company. You have lost a lot of dedicated and talented people and it has hurt the company. Some in high positions do not deserve their titles - don't be fooled by the charming and dynamic veneer - it is a sham and pure self-promotion.

Solid with need for caution

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time

Pros

Present Leadership 9 CEO only)

Cons

Remaining leadership, political mine field, too few with an understanding of industry, marketing

Understand the industry, listen to your people, avoid the continued positioning to improve your own career and help others succeed...Then you will be a "true leader"

Company not sure what direction it is going, but the circle is closing.

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fellow employees. The field teams hard and is committed to its dealers. Company car. The brand is still fairly strong. Products are good. Dealers understand the fields struggles and support us when it makes sense to their business. The new CEO has a truth to him that the company has missed for 10 years. He truly does seem genuine and wants to empower the field. His steps are moving us forward which is welcome sight.

Cons

Company wants instant results but the dealer network does not work like that. Management is out for himself. Manages by fear, poor leader. Dealers don't trust/like management. Promo discounts are good for BM, not the retailers. No internal promoting; we are hiring people with zero paint experience to work in the Ivory Tower. We are hiring paint people from other company's for the field, but still not promoting from within. Shows zero trust in existing employees. Not very motivating. Employees know they are stuck in their current position and feel like a number, not a person. Management does not incentify or praise positive results. Annual bonus plan should be revised to Semi-annual to incent sales. Management puts pressure on field for sales because it is good for management, knowing it is not in the dealers financial best interest.

Change the promo structure. Continue making management changes. Have management work in a store and make sales calls for a week or more to gain a true perspective of the challenges. Change pricing structure. Dealers are not to blame for our poor management and the need to gouge them with high priced products, so change internally and our dealership will follow. Give the retailers a reason to be a single line store. Sell Coronado and make the BM brand affordable. PEOPLE WANT BENJAMIN MOORE, NOT CORONADO. So give it to them. Have RAC meetings with your core; the 200K - 500K dealers. They will tell you a lot, and most will be honest and worthy of your time. Be careful of promoting large dealers, they can sell out to the competition and not miss a beat. Advertise where people are; in front of their tv, watching football and nascar. Take the fear off the sales team so they can sell and build relationships, not worry about their livelihood. Do not punish feedback if you ask for it. Keep asking and keep sharing the results. Let your team know changes are truly happening.

Once a great place to work; continues to decline.

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time

Pros

Free Lunch, discount on paint, other Berkshire Hathaway discounts. Established coworkers are friendly.

Cons

Cuts in compensation ( froze our pension plan). Long time employees can be targeted. Low moral. Outside people hired to fill positions rather than from within. Many people are here with 10-15 years without a promotion. New employees are distant (its just a job to them).
    Now trying to fit modern management and systems with old style business plan; and some old style management. (It is fun to see how this turns out).
    Outsource IT, now it takes days to replace printer cartridges. Other issues take long time to fix or IT does not understand the issues.

Long term management still manages as if its the 1960's ( Think "Mad Men"). New managers do not understand the paint business and may drive us into the ground before they do.

"Excellent Company

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Best things working for this company is that there is team work and everyone works hard to get the job done. Everyone go's above and beyond.

Cons

I use to like coming to work in the past, now it is a chore to get up and wonder what are they going be throwing at us now for training or more projects. Does not seem like the company wants to listen to employees, I believe there is a lot of frustration with the changes.

Listen to what employees are saying and take into consideration that employees are frustrated at some of the changes. For example the peers I work with are losing there passion to come to work, and there are three that are ready to just leave. We have excellent hard working employees here and are all frustrated.

In my long career employee treatment has gone from outdated to favorable and recently to poor.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company is very stable, especially as part of Berkshire Hathaway, pay and HR policies have gone from pretty good to mediocre.

Cons

Company creates programs that get added to existing responsibilities causing excessive demands on time, reporting required on-line but desk time is discouraged.

It has been stated that the role of management is to facilitate employees in successfully achieving their goals but this isn't happening. Feedback from the field is ignored. The mantra is "Just do it" or "Make it look like your doing it". Programs are developed in HQ by people who don't have field experience and are not listening to feedback. Middle managers are messengers who don't invite or accept feedback, possibly because their opinions are not valued or accepted. Big part of problem is communication by e-mail, phone, webinar, conference call with no forum to meet, delevop understanding, teamwork.

Worked for Benjamin Moore? Contribute to the Community!