Benjamin Moore

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
2.7

Michael Searles

Pros
  • Free lunch when visiting corporate offices with that benefit (in 38 reviews)

• The company places value on work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is run by one or two tyrants who have everyone running scared (in 11 reviews)

• Many new hires ( middle to upper management) are from outside the organization (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

A company that chooses profits over people will lose both. Is it too late? Ask Mike.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

New CEO (3rd in 3 years) Mike Searles seems to be a kind and competant leader, the combo not seen at BM in many years. It's possible this may be a great company again if he has the guts to make the hard choices at the upper management level and throw away the modern corporate America playbook. BM has famously great products and people, which drive customer loyalty. There is potential here for a positive turnaround.

Cons

This used to be a company that people didn't ever want to leave, and often promoted from within. The Company was your career. There was no work/life balance because the work was your life and you were proud to bleed BM blue. Sometime in the last decade, like most of corporate America, it devalued the employee, treating them more like cattle, and encouraging company-hopping by mostly hiring management from the outside. We were told by the previous CEO that anyone who stayed more than 5 years has no ambition. So sad. Senior leadership has recently moved themselves from the center of the building among the little people to their own executive wing, and literally locked the doors behind them. No lines to read between there.

Fight the good fight Mike. Value and reward your dedicated employees and you will see BM once again flourish if relationships (employee to employee as well as employee to customer) are allowed to mend and grow again. Promote from within whenever possible. There is an enormous talent pool here with great potential. Realize that potential and you will realize great dedication and profit.
    And for God's sake, would someone please land a house on the CAO? We're not going to get anywhere with her outsourcing the cattle to India! She embodies everything that is wrong at BM. Our company culture does not need to be redefined, it needs to be rediscovered.

Used to be a good company to work for

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Used to be a good company to work for before June 2012. Part of Berkshire Hathaway. Free lunches. Colorful office.

Cons

Salaries below the market. Since June 2012 company has lost many excellent employees due to ill-considered restructuring . Lots of corporate politics with new management.

More positive before Berkshire

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The "Brand" still has legs but they are nowhere as strong as they used to be. It's like a horse that was 'run hard and put away wet'

Cons

Making the management turnstile understand these basic facts:

1.) This was a Billion Dollar revenue stream before the Global Recession. Had it just kept pace with inflation it would be well over that today. It's less than a billion now.

2.) Then we had nearly 3,000 employees now we are nearing less than 2,000. Why?

3.) Each day even a modest turnaround becomes more a fantasy than a realistic outcome as the majors continue to graze on our dwindling share.

It's all on glassdoor and much of it very good but in reality it may simply be too late and for sure will be if yet another CEO comes 'a callin'.

Even a so called 10 fold increase in advertising will not move any sales needles. Everyone has seen that movie before.

Oh, and be honest. Reveal the REAL plans for further consolidation. Real revenue and employment can't continue to shrink the way it has without ushering in more of the same.

Finally, the current plight is infused with irony. Abrams' grand big-box scheme may be the only logical solution left. Halfway in bed with Lowe's already (with Orchard Supply) why not go all the way?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid with need for caution

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time

Pros

Present Leadership 9 CEO only)

Cons

Remaining leadership, political mine field, too few with an understanding of industry, marketing

Understand the industry, listen to your people, avoid the continued positioning to improve your own career and help others succeed...Then you will be a "true leader"

Company still struggling

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company still offers an excellent product line and superior color choices.
    Strong, professional, knowledgable sales force.

Cons

It is very difficult to tell where this company is heading. Many Employees have been forced out. Very weak Human Resources department. Doesn't seem to have any value in the company.
    IT outsourcing has not been successful. Too many problems with the responsiveness of the outsource company,ATOS. They are not being managed successfully by the BM IT management staff retained for that purpose.CIO needs to reevaluate the competency level of his support team and make changes ASAP.

Maintain product excellence.
    Restore Employee confidence.

Too many reorgs

Former Employee - Manager  in  Montvale, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Montvale, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work-life balance. Free cafeteria. Decent benefits. At one time, I worked with an incredible team of people.

Cons

One word- Reorganization. You can almost set your watch by it. There is a constant shuffling of people. Frequent layoffs and the feeling of unrest puts everyone on edge.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Get some solid business plans together and reward the people doing the work.

Once a great place to work; continues to decline.

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time

Pros

Free Lunch, discount on paint, other Berkshire Hathaway discounts. Established coworkers are friendly.

Cons

Cuts in compensation ( froze our pension plan). Long time employees can be targeted. Low moral. Outside people hired to fill positions rather than from within. Many people are here with 10-15 years without a promotion. New employees are distant (its just a job to them).
    Now trying to fit modern management and systems with old style business plan; and some old style management. (It is fun to see how this turns out).
    Outsource IT, now it takes days to replace printer cartridges. Other issues take long time to fix or IT does not understand the issues.

Long term management still manages as if its the 1960's ( Think "Mad Men"). New managers do not understand the paint business and may drive us into the ground before they do.

In my long career employee treatment has gone from outdated to favorable and recently to poor.

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company is very stable, especially as part of Berkshire Hathaway, pay and HR policies have gone from pretty good to mediocre.

Cons

Company creates programs that get added to existing responsibilities causing excessive demands on time, reporting required on-line but desk time is discouraged.

It has been stated that the role of management is to facilitate employees in successfully achieving their goals but this isn't happening. Feedback from the field is ignored. The mantra is "Just do it" or "Make it look like your doing it". Programs are developed in HQ by people who don't have field experience and are not listening to feedback. Middle managers are messengers who don't invite or accept feedback, possibly because their opinions are not valued or accepted. Big part of problem is communication by e-mail, phone, webinar, conference call with no forum to meet, delevop understanding, teamwork.

Very positive company with great morale.

Current Employee - Procurement  in  Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Procurement in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been with the company for 5 months and it's been a great experience. Everyone is willing to help each other out, managers are friendly and flexible with time-off and home emergencies, and I'm being recognized for my work that I'm putting in.

Cons

The only negative thing I would say is that the systems in place are very old. However, with that said, I am part of a team that is working on a whole system upgrade which will make life very easy.

My time here thus far has been positive in terms of management pushing me to get training, grow through new experiences, and keeping organized by following up to see how I'm handling the workload.

By far the most dynamic, talented and incredible gourp of people that I've ever worked with--an incredible organizaton!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time for less than a year

Pros

Dynamic Leadership, Professional Environment, Company Committed to Continuous Improvement, Wonderful Product Line, Great HR Parters, Collabroative Environment and Unbelievable Free Company Lunch Every Day. Company Truly Cares About Its Associates. Talent is Oozing From Every Corner of the Benjamin Moore Universe and Dealers are Nothing Short of Awesome.

Cons

Chairs at Town Hall Meetings are Not Soft Enough, seriously though...I came from a Retail background to BM only 5 weeks into my new career. I love my job and the people I work for and with are incredible & awesome. It is a privelege to be here at Benjamin Moore.

Keep on Doing What You are Doing! It is an Honor to Work for an Iconic Company who is Fully Committed to Serving Independant Retailers by Providing Best in Class American Made Product. Keep Focusing on our Dealers and Keep Innovating the Best Product on the Planet.

Worked for Benjamin Moore? Contribute to the Community!