Benjamin Moore

Updated October 24, 2014
Updated October 24, 2014
2.9

Michael Searles

Pros
  • Free lunch when visiting corporate offices with that benefit (in 48 reviews)

• As an employer BM has always been accommodating when it comes to work / life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is run by one or two tyrants who have everyone running scared (in 13 reviews)

• A lot of changes in upper management; an old-boy culture that's changing (but not yet fast enough) (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Culture, Good People, Good Company.

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, room to advance, over all nice benefit package (vacation time +++), a lot of time is invested into the community, the people on the ground level are great and team driven culture.

Cons

advancement is at a snails pace, diminishing health benefits (employee contribution for heath insurance is high and low coverage).

you have to believe in the values you teach before those values can be passed down.

A good company

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The brand is a great product and has been around a long time. There are many good hardworking people who care and focus their time and energy on working hard to continue the success of the company.

Cons

The complainers that do nothing but write bad post and do nothing to improve whatever has them unhappy except complain. If you don't like it leave. The doors open!

Yes, like all companies there are things that each of us would like to see changed.

The new CEO is on the right path, keep it going!

They are a good company to work for. I've been with them for quite a few years and I love my job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Yearly performance rewards like pay raises & bonus's have always been good for me. You do the work, you get the reward.

Cons

I've watched it change from a family company to corporate driven. No fault to them, it's just the way business is nowadays.

Great people

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, free lunch, team work

Cons

Pay is kind of low

Talk to your staff more to keep everyone in the loop

Going Downhill

Former Employee - Former Employees in Flanders, NJ
    Former Employee - Former Employees in Flanders, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best benefits were excellent vacation package and free lunches. In addition, support was provided in continuous education in the relevant field.

Cons

This company is lack of collective synergy in moving the company positively forward. Too much un-necessary politics and employees place too much attention on personal gains at the expense of company benefits.

The new management must address the following challenges.
    1. Key external challenge: market share
    2. Key internal challenge: do not displace experienced and knowledgeable employees with new ones to drive lower salary expenditure. Please assess their talent and proven contributions before rushing to a senseless decision.
    Please adopt a confidential "Exit Interview" for useful information that is accessible by the CEO only.

Benjamin Moore is a fine place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, free lunch, name recognition

Cons

It's not very easy to move ahead within the company.

Invest time with your employees.

Used to be a good company to work for

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Used to be a good company to work for before June 2012. Part of Berkshire Hathaway. Free lunches. Colorful office.

Cons

Salaries below the market. Since June 2012 company has lost many excellent employees due to ill-considered restructuring . Lots of corporate politics with new management.

Too many reorgs

Former Employee - Manager in Montvale, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Montvale, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Free cafeteria. Decent benefits. At one time, I worked with an incredible team of people.

Cons

One word- Reorganization. You can almost set your watch by it. There is a constant shuffling of people. Frequent layoffs and the feeling of unrest puts everyone on edge.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Get some solid business plans together and reward the people doing the work.

Incredibly Bad Work Experience At This Point in Time

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time

Pros

I get paid more than minimum wage. That is the only pro that can overcome the horribly disrespectful treatment I have been receiving in the past 6 months. Lots of people talk about the free lunch but after the first month I realized the food served was, unsurprisingly, about equal in quality to what they charge you for it.

Cons

The extensive firings have resulted in the most incompetent yet politically-acceptable, risk-averse, bobble-headed workers being left to "run" departments. I have been lied to repeatedly by my manager. I have been invited to and then barred from meetings. Despite having nothing but excellent reviews at every mid-year and year-end, work was taken away from me and given to new hires - and i was not told this by management but by the new worker! Where the company once believed in managers doing their own admin we have now hired dozens and dozens of mid-level "clerks" while skilled professional positions were eliminated in favor of more expensive (and inefficient) outsourcing. In my department a life-long, self-taught, uneducated production staffer has been promoted to manage a highly experience-driven and specialized department. This person's skills are completely out of line with what every other company considers baseline for this work. This is true of all the people left from pre-firing times because they were retained for their political savvy, their zipped lips and their willingness to not rock the boat. Extremely qualified individuals were thrown out along with some deadwood because they couldn't win the political wars with the intermediate Senior Leadership. So many of the new initiatives put in place in the last 2 years are now being exposed as the wrong solutions, ill-advised or poorly applied (IT outsourcing, ERP integration, Foundation Core Beliefs, Wellness initiatives, Marketing directives, co-op promotions are late or over budget or abandoned or being rolled back or re-written).

We believe in Berkshire-Hathaway. We believe in the history of Benjamin Moore. We may even believe in the BIG picture of your current directives but the damage done by mindless, politically motivated and knee-jerk reaction over the past 2 years needs so much more of your attention. Hopefully you have started to reverse direction on sales and assuage the dealer network but the ethos of Berkshire Hathaway is still taking a BIG hit by allowing this poor middle-management crew to treat their staffs (new hires and veteran workers alike by the way) like trash. Reviews? MEANINGLESS. Mentoring? DOES NOT EXIST. Honest application of your "core principles"? THESE PEOPLE DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND THEM.

More positive before Berkshire

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The "Brand" still has legs but they are nowhere as strong as they used to be. It's like a horse that was 'run hard and put away wet'

Cons

Making the management turnstile understand these basic facts:

1.) This was a Billion Dollar revenue stream before the Global Recession. Had it just kept pace with inflation it would be well over that today. It's less than a billion now.

2.) Then we had nearly 3,000 employees now we are nearing less than 2,000. Why?

3.) Each day even a modest turnaround becomes more a fantasy than a realistic outcome as the majors continue to graze on our dwindling share.

It's all on glassdoor and much of it very good but in reality it may simply be too late and for sure will be if yet another CEO comes 'a callin'.

Even a so called 10 fold increase in advertising will not move any sales needles. Everyone has seen that movie before.

Oh, and be honest. Reveal the REAL plans for further consolidation. Real revenue and employment can't continue to shrink the way it has without ushering in more of the same.

Finally, the current plight is infused with irony. Abrams' grand big-box scheme may be the only logical solution left. Halfway in bed with Lowe's already (with Orchard Supply) why not go all the way?