Benjamin Moore Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
Updated October 27, 2014
2.9

Michael Searles

Pros
  • Free lunch when visiting corporate offices with that benefit (in 48 reviews)

• As an employer BM has always been accommodating when it comes to work / life balance (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is run by one or two tyrants who have everyone running scared (in 13 reviews)

• A lot of changes in upper management; an old-boy culture that's changing (but not yet fast enough) (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Culture, Good People, Good Company.

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work, room to advance, over all nice benefit package (vacation time +++), a lot of time is invested into the community, the people on the ground level are great and team driven culture.

Cons

advancement is at a snails pace, diminishing health benefits (employee contribution for heath insurance is high and low coverage).

you have to believe in the values you teach before those values can be passed down.

A good company

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The brand is a great product and has been around a long time. There are many good hardworking people who care and focus their time and energy on working hard to continue the success of the company.

Cons

The complainers that do nothing but write bad post and do nothing to improve whatever has them unhappy except complain. If you don't like it leave. The doors open!

Yes, like all companies there are things that each of us would like to see changed.

The new CEO is on the right path, keep it going!

They are a good company to work for. I've been with them for quite a few years and I love my job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Yearly performance rewards like pay raises & bonus's have always been good for me. You do the work, you get the reward.

Cons

I've watched it change from a family company to corporate driven. No fault to them, it's just the way business is nowadays.

Great people

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, free lunch, team work

Cons

Pay is kind of low

Talk to your staff more to keep everyone in the loop

Benjamin Moore is a fine place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Montvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, free lunch, name recognition

Cons

It's not very easy to move ahead within the company.

Invest time with your employees.

$125 million to update IT was a blatant lie.

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

New CEO hired one CEO too late. How we were lied to by former CEO and current CAO.

Cons

Former CEO and current CAO let the entire company to believe that IT needed $125 million to be updated from a hardware prospective. Not true. BM had just spent 10 million the year before to upgrade its IBM hardware and it's Oracle hardware to the latest hardware available. Maybe IT needed $2million to update its others servers that's it. All this accomplished was to create over 5000 anti brand ambassadors. Just plain stupid. The former CEO had to create change and this is the direction he chose. How else can you explain that the old software is still running the company to this day. WAKE UP BM Remove the CAO along with the trash she brought in. Save the company.

Mike Searles (CEO)bring your own people in. Please.

Going Downhill

Former Employee - Former Employees in Flanders, NJ
    Former Employee - Former Employees in Flanders, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best benefits were excellent vacation package and free lunches. In addition, support was provided in continuous education in the relevant field.

Cons

This company is lack of collective synergy in moving the company positively forward. Too much un-necessary politics and employees place too much attention on personal gains at the expense of company benefits.

The new management must address the following challenges.
    1. Key external challenge: market share
    2. Key internal challenge: do not displace experienced and knowledgeable employees with new ones to drive lower salary expenditure. Please assess their talent and proven contributions before rushing to a senseless decision.
    Please adopt a confidential "Exit Interview" for useful information that is accessible by the CEO only.

Incredibly Bad Work Experience At This Point in Time

I have been working at Benjamin Moore full-time

Pros

I get paid more than minimum wage. That is the only pro that can overcome the horribly disrespectful treatment I have been receiving in the past 6 months. Lots of people talk about the free lunch but after the first month I realized the food served was, unsurprisingly, about equal in quality to what they charge you for it.

Cons

The extensive firings have resulted in the most incompetent yet politically-acceptable, risk-averse, bobble-headed workers being left to "run" departments. I have been lied to repeatedly by my manager. I have been invited to and then barred from meetings. Despite having nothing but excellent reviews at every mid-year and year-end, work was taken away from me and given to new hires - and i was not told this by management but by the new worker! Where the company once believed in managers doing their own admin we have now hired dozens and dozens of mid-level "clerks" while skilled professional positions were eliminated in favor of more expensive (and inefficient) outsourcing. In my department a life-long, self-taught, uneducated production staffer has been promoted to manage a highly experience-driven and specialized department. This person's skills are completely out of line with what every other company considers baseline for this work. This is true of all the people left from pre-firing times because they were retained for their political savvy, their zipped lips and their willingness to not rock the boat. Extremely qualified individuals were thrown out along with some deadwood because they couldn't win the political wars with the intermediate Senior Leadership. So many of the new initiatives put in place in the last 2 years are now being exposed as the wrong solutions, ill-advised or poorly applied (IT outsourcing, ERP integration, Foundation Core Beliefs, Wellness initiatives, Marketing directives, co-op promotions are late or over budget or abandoned or being rolled back or re-written).

We believe in Berkshire-Hathaway. We believe in the history of Benjamin Moore. We may even believe in the BIG picture of your current directives but the damage done by mindless, politically motivated and knee-jerk reaction over the past 2 years needs so much more of your attention. Hopefully you have started to reverse direction on sales and assuage the dealer network but the ethos of Berkshire Hathaway is still taking a BIG hit by allowing this poor middle-management crew to treat their staffs (new hires and veteran workers alike by the way) like trash. Reviews? MEANINGLESS. Mentoring? DOES NOT EXIST. Honest application of your "core principles"? THESE PEOPLE DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND THEM.

Used to be a good company to work for

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Used to be a good company to work for before June 2012. Part of Berkshire Hathaway. Free lunches. Colorful office.

Cons

Salaries below the market. Since June 2012 company has lost many excellent employees due to ill-considered restructuring . Lots of corporate politics with new management.

Too many reorgs

Former Employee - Manager in Montvale, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Montvale, NJ

I worked at Benjamin Moore full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Free cafeteria. Decent benefits. At one time, I worked with an incredible team of people.

Cons

One word- Reorganization. You can almost set your watch by it. There is a constant shuffling of people. Frequent layoffs and the feeling of unrest puts everyone on edge.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Get some solid business plans together and reward the people doing the work.