Bentley Systems

Bentley Systems Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Bentley Systems CEO Greg Bentley

Greg Bentley

Pros
  • Good work- life balance, great colleagues, global work sharing(in 11 reviews)

• A flexible, laid back work environment with some good people(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to watch out for overhead in middle management positions(in 8 reviews)

• The salaries are not very good compared to similar companies(in 3 reviews)

Hands-On, No-nonsense company with great colleagues. If you play it right there is room to get promoted or relocated

Controller (Current Employee) Exton, PA

Proslots of incredibly smart colleagues, entrepreneurial culture. Global culture with colleagues collaborating around the globe crossing all timezones

Conslow turn-over of personnel caused some older colleagues to become complacent

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change directions each year

Old is gold, but at Bentley Systems gold is fold!!

TSG (Current Employee) Exton, PA

ProsGood benefits, no one sees your progress for years until you get laid off

ConsUpper Management dictate all your daily activities, managers are not aware of any of the IT processes. Managers are heavily involved in large to small projects and sometime they just dump a million dollar project without socializing with upper management. Managers need a hack of a lot of IT training and management training. I said SDLC in one of the meeting and the manager said what is "SDLC", I was just shunned there. It's not what you know in the company, it's who you know. Some very bad civil engineers are sitting at management positions and they have no clue how IT processes work. It's a chaos and so many people have no role at all and they work from home. If you give too many suggestions or speak up, you will be handed a pink slip.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and tr do not take credit for there opinions

It is nice to work here

Engineer (Current Employee) Covington, LA

ProsGreat work/life balance. No pressure. Can manage work easily.

ConsLack of compensation. Lack of direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed direction

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you like change for the sake of change, a great place to be

Account Manager (Former Employee) Exton, PA

ProsGreat knowledge base among the technical staff and development groups. Superior set and quite a wide range of software products. Remote working is a wonderful thing, but no longer that uncommon at tech companies.

ConsHeavy bloat at the middle management level and blatant nepotism make it hard to advance beyond a certain level. Seems some management is placed in "new" positions to keep them from damaging business rather than firing them. Corporate policies have changed constantly the entire time I was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of dead weight, stop making policies that alienate your employees and your clients. Hire good admin staff and invest in your people.

Overall a good company

Business Development (Current Employee) Exton, PA

ProsBentley's products solve real world engineering problems. They make quality products.

ConsThe company is very process oriented. There are a lot of management layers.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnough already with the sprucing of the books. If you cut any more compensation you are going to start losing a lot of people.

Was a nice place....

Project Manager (Current Employee) Exton, PA

ProsGreat Colleagues, a nice cafeteria and a decent amount of holidays. I like the flexibility of being able to work from home a day or 2 a week.

ConsBroken processes and badly implemented systems make for more work than one should have to do, yet it seems management does not acknowledge this. They also seem to think it is OK to invoice our clients for this extra effort; yet the process is required so that they can get a report. If someone would just do an ROI on what it costs including time spent by the PM’s, they might not want all those reports.

Micromanagement is prevalent. All hires and even internal moves go through a million channels all the way to the CEO. Travel requests go all the way to senior VP’s, even for a single hotel night. One would think that a PM should be final approver for a project, but not at Bentley. In the same vein folks are not always held accountable for their failures.

Moral is down due to eroding salaries. Few and small raises are more than offset but benefit reductions.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet objectives and empower the people to decide on how they will make it happen, then hold them accountable. Reward with carrots and stop punishing with sticks.

Friendly place to work

Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Pros- Co-workers are always extremely friendly, willing to help cross-country.
    - Very welcoming and inclusive culture for interns. Yes, you will be working on real products.
    - Forward-thinking company full of talented developers.
    - Senior management is incredibly down-to-earth.

Cons- Not the greatest at marketing products, usability and design (but to be fair, they're working on it).

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want great interns, keep marketing towards them. Be transparent. Show them (tangibly) all the cool things Bentley makes!

Excellent company to work for

Software Quality Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGreat corporate culture, immense opportunities to work with the latest technology, freedom to try new strategies and approaches, flexible in working from home, no office politics, awesome talented workforce

ConsNot I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and yes, please hire good HR people.

Like vanilla yogurt; it's just plain.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Exton, PA

Pros-Every changing technology and upper management who likes to stay on the cutting edge of technology.
    -Close knit teams with a good amount of comradely.
    -A lot of off work events and activities you can participate in
    -Close to all major highways, so its not that far of a drive.
    -Wellness and charity events.

Cons-Sales are the only group that actually makes any money. The rest of us "grunts" are underpaid and unappreciated. I would say, on average, the pay is about 15%-20% lower than it should be.
    -Constant change in processes with little thought as too why things are changing.
    -Company policy is not uniform across the company. Each director can make policy according to his or her own beliefs.
    -Old and outdated building(corporate)
    -Too much middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little less greedy with salaries and bonuses.

Great Company! Amazing Technology!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Exton, PA

ProsBentley Software is innovative and crucial to improving Global Infrastructure
    Flexible work schedule
    Multi-cultural environment
    Very optimistic about future - the Company is improving daily

ConsExcessive internal administrative procedures
    Micromanaged in the wrong areas
    Internal Procedures and bureaucracy waste time and money!

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower/Trust your Management - cease Micro-management
    Simplify Incentives - focus on compensation keyed to individual performance

Worked for Bentley Systems? Contribute to the Community!