Bentley Systems

Updated December 15, 2014
3.8

Bentley Systems CEO Greg Bentley
Greg Bentley

Pros
  • Good work- life balance, great colleagues, global work sharing (in 11 reviews)

• It keeps the work environment enjoyable and low stress (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Heavy bloat at the middle management level and blatant nepotism make it hard to advance beyond a certain level (in 9 reviews)

• Upper Management dictate all your daily activities, managers are not aware of any of the IT processes (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

I worked at Bentley Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This company was great to work for. Great atmosphere and they treat you like family. Everyone here cares about you.

Cons

If you're not a software engineer it might take some time to get used to the culture.

Good Company to work with

Current Employee - Intern in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Intern in Covington, LA

I have been working at Bentley Systems (less than an year)

Pros

work environment, amazing learning curve, good infrastructure, work friendly. Just do your job on time.

Cons

Place is not great. very small. its a busy office

Software Engineering Internship

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Bentley Systems as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A really good experience to work as an Intern for Bentley Systems. There is a Philadelphia office which is convenient to go to. Opportunity to do real work along with the full time developers. Given real responsibility to work on cutting edge projects.

Cons

Pay is monthly. Like major software companies if working on core products the compile and build process takes a while to get used to.

Great company, employees and benefits.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team of like-minded professionals
    Excellent benefits
    Access to the latest technology

Cons

Hours can be long
    Remote colleagues have to self manage company information.

New colleagues should have mentors or shadow a veteran.

Deadwood & Yes Men

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company has some strong technical leaders who are trying to make great software. At lower levels of management, teams are truly trying to serve their clients. Teams generally work hard and play well with each other.

Cons

Yes-man culture. Company does not respect clients (except perhaps the very large clients). Too much deadwood middle management. It is interesting that many reviewers complain about the deadwood and then approve of the CEO - who do they think controls management?

Create a win-win licensing program (current program is not fair to users...and they know it; this is not good for a long term relationship). Eliminate deadwood yes-men (don't you want people who will give you honest feedback?). Pick a small number of key items that require a top-down approach, and give the lower levels (who know their customers better than you do) the freedom to do what is right for their markets.

Excellent for job security, and allows for creative and ambitious people to advance.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Exton, PA

I worked at Bentley Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cutting edge innovation, dynamic company, allows for building your own career path. The environment is modern. Friendly culture. Strong customer focus. A lot of smart people there, engineers for the most part, with graduate degrees or post-graduate. The working hours are flexible as long as the work gets done. You never get the sense that someone is watching over your shoulder, trying to catch you doing something wrong.

Cons

Some of the processes are rigid. Not necessarily surprising for a growing company, but the innovation favors technology more than internal processes.

Sometimes there is a gap in the communication between different levels.

Nice place if you need to strike a work-life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, smart upper management, good business outlook, above-average benefits.

Cons

Disconnected divisions, less than average base salary.

Create more opportunities for career advancements, and establish communications among verticals and divisions.

Great people and environment, no where to move up, no raises

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Watertown, CT
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Watertown, CT

I worked at Bentley Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is laid back, corporate, fun to work there. People are very nice. The option to work from home is there on occasion.

Cons

Not many places to advance in certain positions. Almost stuck in one job. For the three years I was there I did not get a substantial raise at all. Not the best way to keep a good employee.

Allow more areas to move up in the company, give more salary increases.

If you want a safe, non-challenging marketing environment, it's a good place

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Exton, PA

I worked at Bentley Systems full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very family oriented and good benefits

It's a great place if you want to put your head down, stay in the same job, not expect advancement but have a very stable and secure position.

Cons

It's still run by an iron fist by brothers who don't want to hear opinions that differ from theirs. They don't understand, furthermore value marketing. The technical brother will change products at last minute for no reason other than curiosity, regardless of market needs or promises. The CEO brother will go through 50 revisions of a press release as his is the only voice that matters while building no cohesion between product lines and messages.

Marcom exists only to serve his wants and build his presentations. Product marketing was probably built when he was told it was important, but they got rid of experienced folks with minds of their own and kept people who understood that product marketing had nothing to do with products and were just presentation builders for their own management.

Too much politics and ego, to little camaraderie and to much push only from that top. And that's while they claim nobody's really an "employee," a verboten word. They're "collegues." However, they're as much colleagues as Russians were comrades under Stalin, humorous coming from right wing founders.

They even didn't give raises to North American employees claiming the gains were good enough while, somehow, they still took out lots of money for their horse farms.

It's time to retire and let professionals take over. No more fiefdoms. No more top-down only flow of information.

Other & Company Growth & Expenditures

Current Employee - Licensing Analyst in Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Licensing Analyst in Exton, PA

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is the first company I really enjoyed working at since being laid off from (SMS) not Siemen's.
    People were great to work for and with. Many perks and possible bonuses. I am still hoping I get
    hired back because I know I can make a difference.

Cons

I worked there only 6 weeks prior to a company wide layoff or so I was told. I had barely completed the limited training which was kind of chaotic at best and not structured. Got a lot of different colleagues saying and teaching me different things; however, most were not on the same page. Most of what I learned was from one colleague which was okay, but
    most I learned on my own. Which was fine.

In the short time I was there... I heard things that management and colleagues would say about what to tell their
    clients when basically, there was not enough staff to address client issues and clients did not receive the customer service Bentley boasts about and what the clients were promised and contracted for. Some of those issues were critical for the clients to do their jobs but not critical to company. They just could not handle the volume of issues for lack of staff and could not provide the "Knock Your Socks Off" kind of service I wanted and others should provide.

I was told by the manager that they would hire me back but I am not sure if it is true or not. Companies pretty much tell you anything as they are walking you out the door. I spoke to HR and they confirmed that I will be given no preference in possible rehire and would be considered as an outsider which is sad because of the resources and expense it cost could go a long way if they gave those who were laid off a chance to come back.

Also noticed that some management and colleagues were taking advantage of Bentleys benefits and perks such
    as paying for lunch for after hours employee's working over time where they would double the food order and take
    2 dinners (1 to take home). This also occurred at other venues as well. I don't believe "The Bentleys" would appreciate that.

I also believe that as the company grows there will be no one really looking "Inside" the company to see what is really going on. Too many employee's or managers and one does not know what the other one is doing. This happened while working at SMS.

Cut down on expenses, cross train people, don't let employees stay in same position for more than 3-4 years and get too comfortable. Bring in new people with new idea's. Focus on Customer Service and people who support the products. A company can have he best products in the world; however, it is only as good as the people who provide
    'excellent customer service' who make the difference.

Bentley Systems Photos