Bentley Systems Reviews

Updated August 6, 2014

3.8

Bentley Systems CEO Greg Bentley
Greg Bentley

Pros
  • Good work- life balance, great colleagues, global work sharing (in 11 reviews)

• A flexible, laid back work environment with some good people (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Need to watch out for overhead in middle management positions (in 8 reviews)

• The salaries are not very good compared to similar companies (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Challenging assignments, travel the world

Cons

Tribal knowledge , lack of documentation

Other & Company Growth & Expenditures

Current Employee - Licensing Analyst  in  Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Licensing Analyst in Exton, PA

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is the first company I really enjoyed working at since being laid off from (SMS) not Siemen's.
    People were great to work for and with. Many perks and possible bonuses. I am still hoping I get
    hired back because I know I can make a difference.

Cons

I worked there only 6 weeks prior to a company wide layoff or so I was told. I had barely completed the limited training which was kind of chaotic at best and not structured. Got a lot of different colleagues saying and teaching me different things; however, most were not on the same page. Most of what I learned was from one colleague which was okay, but
    most I learned on my own. Which was fine.

In the short time I was there... I heard things that management and colleagues would say about what to tell their
    clients when basically, there was not enough staff to address client issues and clients did not receive the customer service Bentley boasts about and what the clients were promised and contracted for. Some of those issues were critical for the clients to do their jobs but not critical to company. They just could not handle the volume of issues for lack of staff and could not provide the "Knock Your Socks Off" kind of service I wanted and others should provide.

I was told by the manager that they would hire me back but I am not sure if it is true or not. Companies pretty much tell you anything as they are walking you out the door. I spoke to HR and they confirmed that I will be given no preference in possible rehire and would be considered as an outsider which is sad because of the resources and expense it cost could go a long way if they gave those who were laid off a chance to come back.

Also noticed that some management and colleagues were taking advantage of Bentleys benefits and perks such
    as paying for lunch for after hours employee's working over time where they would double the food order and take
    2 dinners (1 to take home). This also occurred at other venues as well. I don't believe "The Bentleys" would appreciate that.

I also believe that as the company grows there will be no one really looking "Inside" the company to see what is really going on. Too many employee's or managers and one does not know what the other one is doing. This happened while working at SMS.

Cut down on expenses, cross train people, don't let employees stay in same position for more than 3-4 years and get too comfortable. Bring in new people with new idea's. Focus on Customer Service and people who support the products. A company can have he best products in the world; however, it is only as good as the people who provide
    'excellent customer service' who make the difference.

Sales Intern

Current Employee - Sales  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bentley Systems as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great exposure and learning possibilities for an intern.
    Friendly environment and people.
    Dive right in to what the office is doing.

Cons

My company issued computer didn't work on the first day but IT helped out there.
    Not many other cons to say.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very good.

I have been working at Bentley Systems

Pros

Started as an intern. will be working there full-time by the end of the summer. very happy with the pay and atmosphere of the company

Cons

a little disorganized but other than that very cool place to work.

Great company, casual atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

I worked at Bentley Systems as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

casual atmosphere, friendly people, nice office

Cons

lack of training... i went into the job not knowing anything about the products and they seemed to be okay with that. lots of work.

Strong bones, but company is run by aging managers who aren't positioned for the future.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Bentley Systems

Pros

Bentley has a strong underlying business model and makes most of its annual revenue from subscriptions. The company is run conservatively and the people are quality folks.

Cons

The big issue is the management team is almost identical to the one which was running the company 15 years ago at 1/3 the revenue. They don't know what they don't know about running a much larger company.

There is a lot of growing employee dissatisfaction - get in top of that or risk losing it all. Decision making is too slow and unilateral; products are slow to emerge and not in synch with the market; our best young coders wonder why they should stay.

Great Place to work

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere, challenging positions, freedom to play a bigger role, will encourage you to work on things you are interested in.

Cons

Middle management is not effective

sort out issues with middle management layer

A great innovative place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bentley Systems as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great colleagues. Family friendly values. Good stewardship by executive management. A customer oriented approach towards product innovations. Recently we have more of a global footprint!

Cons

Need to watch out for overhead in middle management positions. Too many products - some that directly compete with each other!

Hold people accountable instead of shuffling them to other roles.

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Bentley Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Support staff is excellent and very knowledgeable in the products offered. Provided sales training annually to sales team. Provides industry leading solutions to the engineering industry.

Cons

Redundant and time consuming sales reporting to management. Utilize CRM, that's what it's for. Knowing how much you were getting paid was confusing to most. An outside consulting agency was brought in to reorganize commission structure. Was hired as sales consultant, it transitioned into account management. Chasing down invoices and performing license management renewals, is not sales.

Moving in the right direction, but needed some fine tuning.

A nice place to work with a family oriented atmosphere

Current Employee - Sales Operations  in  Exton, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Exton, PA

I have been working at Bentley Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is a casual work atmosphere and human resources has implemented many employee oriented programs to aid in colleague communication and professional development.

Cons

The benefits packages continue to decline, which over a five year period makes them less attractive than other companies in the area. Advancement opportunities are never clearly communicated.

Create a defined career advancement program with transparency so that colleagues understand what is required to advance.

Worked for Bentley Systems? Contribute to the Community!