Benton Express Reviews

Like a family to me.

Current Employee - Office Clerk
    Current Employee - Office Clerk

I have been working at Benton Express full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There is opportunity for advancement. The employees are great and had become like family. The atmosphere is laid back and upper management was approachable with just about any subject. The managers travel to different terminals and are very personable with the employees. They address you by your name and talk to you as if you are a long lost friend. The office is cozy. The drivers are friendly as well as dock personnel and other office personnel. They offer benefits for full time employees. They are flexible with scheduling issues that come up.

Cons

Some of the buildings and equipment are a little old. The insurance coverage changed to a not so great plan, but it changed back to a better plan. They aren't closed for some of the not-as-popular government holidays.

Keep it up! Being personable to employees and addressing their concerns gets you a long way, and most especially has made me feel important. Thanks for providing me a safe, comfortable place to work for so long.

driver

Former Employee - Driver  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Driver in Miami, FL

I worked at Benton Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

all the hours you can get

Cons

no overtime pay for you work

manage don't blame it all on your employees

Very disorganized and hopeless pay rates due to "economy"

Current Employee - Sales  in  Calhoun, GA
    Current Employee - Sales in Calhoun, GA

I have been working at Benton Express full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very flexible schedule. Quite lenient. Comfortable.

Cons

Dog eat dog in every aspect of the company. Tyrant type supervising. About 4-5 years ago when the economy plumited, they cut everyone's pay in 5% incriments, which lead to a total of a 15% decrease in pay... and to this day they have no intentions of giving that money back. They dont have any kind of incentives. It's a shame beacause the owners and "higher ups" in the owners "click" are payed a very healthy salary while the rest of the company scrambles to feed their family. Why is this so bad? Beause it happened to everyone, including but not limited to the lot of people that have been dedicated to this company for 20+ years so it's hard to leave a company after you've been there that long and try so hard to be hopeful that they will catch up with the rest of the country. We are one of the few companies left that are still using the "economy" excuse.

Please give everyone their money back. Please get rid of the management that still believes that you profit more from making everyone believe that they can and will be fired if they sneeze the wrong way. Consider weekly or monthly motivation meetings. Consider enforcing a rule that terminal managers need to be more involved with their employees. I think it might be time for a managerial reviews and weed out the weak. This company can be so much more, can profit so much more and have a much healthier atmosphere if someone can take the time to be assertive without being condescending and train/set the example for the individual terminal managers and/or the regional managers to feel more confident and do the right thing even when they don't want to. If the people at the bottom of the totem pole don't care, it's because the people above them don't care and their examples are crushing their hope for a better tomorrow. We CAN do everything right the first time, if you have the right people doing it. Don't settle for less and we'll get there.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for Benton Express has been the most disappointing experience of my driving career.

Current Employee - P&D Driver
    Current Employee - P&D Driver

I have been working at Benton Express

Pros

The best part of working for Benton Express is that they let you off when you need it. They are good about that.

Cons

Here are a list of problems for working at Benton Express. Low Pay, I am making what i made in 1986. Not a good thing. Crappy equipment. you can only patch a patch so many times. I have heard the mechanic say to stick a stick from a tree into fuel line to plug it. air conditioning is sometimes yes, sometimes no., some air ride tractors, some not. some radios, some not. trucks are dirty, trailers are never washed. trailers have trash pilled up inside. no one sweeps them out. get uniforms occassionally-every 3 years. wear them dirty. all of the trucks are old, trailers are old. just a worn out crap hole.

in the last 2 years you have changed direction several times, with different men coming in with a great new idea to bring Benton back to life and give raises which are not raises. Quit BS the drivers. Just let the company die. close it down. go live on your boat.

Worked for Benton Express? Contribute to the Community!