Berea College

Berea College Reviews

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Lyle D Roelofs

Administrative assistant

Advanced Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Berea, KY

ProsVery friendly and enjoyable place to work. Can move around easily in the company.

Consmake below minimal wage as a student worker, but your education is free! I guess that is not so bad

Advice to Senior Managementoffer more versatile experiences.

A phenomenal learning community

Student Worker (Current Employee)
    Berea, KY

ProsBerea College is one of the few "work colleges" in the U.S., meaning every enrolled student is required to participate in the College's labor program. Students who demonstrate initiative can secure some incredible jobs on campus to learn important skills (public speaking, networking, collaboration, etc.) that will be very useful upon graduating from the College.

ConsFor students in senior leadership positions, it would be helpful to have more leadership development resources. Students are expected to accomplish a good deal through the labor program, but leadership development is not often a top priority (or resource) of the labor program. Students in senior leadership positions through the labor program need more leadership development support.

School and work combined

Student Worker (Former Employee)
    Berea, KY

ProsBerea College provides jobs for the students while attending the college. If you know what you want to work in after graduation, this can be very beneficial. While each department is different, they are generally sensitive to class schedules and other college requirements.

ConsSome departments or jobs are treated more seriously than others, and you get a wide range of response from student workers. The work that student provide isn't always appreciated.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was okay.

Student Worker (Former Employee)
    Berea, KY

ProsThey always work around your school schedule. Opportunity for real work experience.

ConsOnly like $2.00 an hour. Lots of jobs with no room for promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more

Work Study Candidate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mentors who will help you be more prepared for the workforce.

ConsLow pay that does not match the responsibility of the job, but at least you get tuition.

Berea form the Inside

Pros- Can you say free tuition? Berea Can!
    - Offers wide variety of funding programs to help students excel in their future endeavors i.e. study abroad and internship financial assistance
    - Provides diverse atmosphere with a rich culture and school history
    - Ivy league of the south

Cons- Not located in the best place
    - egalitarian pay system

Advice to Senior ManagementPresident Roelofs is a gem with which to work! He is open and there to make a difference in the students' lives!

Work Experience

Student Worker (Current Employee)
    Berea, KY

ProsIt gives you work experience.

ConsThe pay is below minimum since it is considered part of your scholarship. You may or may not have any money left over after paying tuition.

Enjoyable place to work, good values, mediocre compensation, but not much room for career mobility.

Library Instruction Specialist (Former Employee)
    Berea, KY

ProsCollegiality and supportive coworkers. Positive culture and values.

ConsLimited internal mobility. Mediocre compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more encouraging of career advancement and give good employees more chances to expand and develop or else they will get frustrated at stagnation and leave.

Good place to work

Alumni Relations (Current Employee)
    Berea, KY

ProsGreat colleagues in every department, focused on diversity in student body and well rounded environment. Great hours. Encourage employees to live a sustainable life style. Christian values.
    Tolerance and fairness for everyone. Great leadership in new President. Good benefits.

ConsLack of diversity in staff and faculty, lower than average salaries

Advice to Senior ManagementHire with same diversity you show in the student body.

I would describe my overall experience as a positive one and one that I would reccomend to others.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Berea, KY

ProsGood education, flexibility to work in the area that you either like or will help you with the area you intend to go into after graduating.

ConsThere are not many but the politics of the work space were sometimes unfortunate in that people were favored and others were not given the promotions or feedback they deserved.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be more flexible and not expect the workers to be able to complete jobs without full knowledge of what is expected.

Worked for Berea College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Berea College reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Berea College CEO Lyle D Roelofs. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Berea College employees.