Bergdorf Goodman Reviews

Josh Schulman

1. Friendly Employees and Staff

Current Employee - Office Coordinator in Staten Island, NY
    Current Employee - Office Coordinator in Staten Island, NY

I have been working at Bergdorf Goodman (More than a year)

Pros

Management, staff and other employees here are nice and good to work with.

Cons

They pay a little bit low compared to other company.

2. The life

I worked at Bergdorf Goodman

Pros

The discount was decent and because it's on fifth ave seeing celebs were always cool

Cons

A lot of the sales ppl and managers were snobby

3. Personal Shopping Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bergdorf Goodman full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discounts, morning trunk shows for staff to educate and get free breakfast. You know pretty much everyone even senior corporate staff.

Cons

Slave labor for very poor pay. I received a raise of a few cents after a year. Room for growth.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, attempt to make them feel valued even if they are lowly assistants. Don't be so obvious with favoritism.

5. I had a very fullfilling and creative experiance at BG

I worked at Bergdorf Goodman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a company they go above and beyond to stand out from the rest in regard to brand identity inclusive of product assortment, store presentation and marketing/advertising. As a creative individual it was very stimulating and fulfilling to work in environment of like-minded individuals with encouragement to think outside the box with every aspect of promoting the company image of luxurious fantasy.

Cons

Like many other luxury-fashion related businesses, there comes a fair share of diva-esque behavior from certain individuals at the management and executive levels of the company. One must take the inevitable tongue-lashing and accept false blame with a grain of salt.... One must also have thick-skin and expect outbursts over non-nonsensical minutia as part of the job.
    As far as the sales-floor goes... even the very top sellers seemed to be in constant worry about making their monthly goals. This created a very competitive and sometimes hostile attitude between the sales people.

Advice to Management

For the most part, I felt as though the company felt like a large mom and pop business as compared to other department stores, which was very comforting... The top tier of executives were very approachable and open to hearing views from all levels of the company... Towards the end of my tenure, the corporate culture of Nieman Marcus seemed to creeping in and effecting the unique experience for employees and customers alike. Somehow the notion of BG being a rarefied Jewell must be upheld as opposed to becoming just another Nieman Marcus.

6. best place ever

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Bergdorf Goodman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

lots of great products with a top client base. the rich and famous love to shop there and it is a opportunity to learn and experience the ultimate luxury.

Cons

returns by the fake rich and needy make your paycheck and your patience weak. some people should be qualified to shop there. sometimes your paycheck sucks!!! some employees are relentless and mean.

Advice to Management

Dear management get on the floor and assist your sales associates. A big sale is hard when no one is helping.Also grow talent with encouragement.

7. Great place to work but return policy frustrating

I worked at Bergdorf Goodman part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful products to sell and great clients

Cons

Returns and exchange policy sucks

8. Bergdorf Goodman

I worked at Bergdorf Goodman full-time

Pros

One of the best Luxury Retailers in the Country but changing rapidly. Historic store with amazing brands. Store Discount is great when items are on sale otherwise too expensive. Good clientele.

Cons

New Management, Bergdorf Goodman is quickly becoming another Neiman Marcus which is a pity. Very political environment, the pay is a joke. New General Manager is biased, does not appreciate employees who are not his "type" of employee.

Advice to Management

Useless, would not hear it if I screamed it in their ear. They pay attention to all the wrong KPI's and are more interested improving anything other than their own career path.

9. Sales Person

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Bergdorf Goodman full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best luxury clients shop in the store, big spenders and you get to meet real fashionable people in the industry. commission rate is very good, and corporate discount is generous.

Cons

Not much room to move up. Benefits like insurance, 401K, vacation are average, if not very poor. If you are not selling 4 Million USD a year, you are not noticed.

Advice to Management

Get some education and hopefully care for employees, instead of being so selfish.

10. Not what I expected

I have been working at Bergdorf Goodman full-time

Pros

Great deals when thing are on sale. 30% discount for the employees. Some are of the employees are great people others not so nice

Cons

lack of communication between the floor managers and employees

Advice to Management

Have patient and learn how to communicate better with the staff

an amazing experience, I probably shouldn't have left

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in New York, NY

I worked at Bergdorf Goodman full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

as a buyer, you work with only the best brands and are normally their biggest point of sale in the US so lots of clout and availability to create exclusive product for the store- and generally the best clients and sales people in NY (at least when I was there) so I always felt my work was appreciated

Cons

well, I guess it isn't true any longer, but when I was there no one in the buying office ever left, we were all very happy to be there so even though I was eligible for promotion on my reviews for 3 years there were simply no promotions available.............

Advice to Management

I have been away from the store too long to give advice- I do know how clever Josh is though so I'm sure the store is in great hands- Jim was awesome as he basically left the buying to the buyers- if you made or exceeded your plan he had nothing bad to say to you.....................

RSS Feed </> Embed