Bergstrom Auto Reviews

John F. Bergstrom

1. Administrative Assistant

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Bergstrom Auto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits! The Bergstrom's try to create a great work environment and really strive to be the best Dealership in WI.

Cons

They don't give raises regularly and there is a pay cut off you reach fairly quickly after working for only a few years. The managers at the Milwaukee store treat you as if you are way below them and expect you to basically kiss their butt.

Advice to Management

Golden Rule: Treat others the way you want to be treated. Also, if so much money wasn't wasted on steak and lobster and spiffs for the sales department (trips to punta cana etc.) maybe you'd be able to give raises more often to your employees. .

Been here long enough to know.

I have been working at Bergstrom Auto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They like to promote happiness an upbeat, positive attitude at all times.

Cons

If you're not in sales, you're basically trying to survive. There's a hierarchy to every job, but this one seems to take it to the extreme. Unless you're out there selling the cars, you're a nobody.

Advice to Management

Listen to the "little people". We probably know the company the best and have the best advice to benefit EVERYONE, including the guests!

Either you're eating lobster, or you're starving.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

I worked at Bergstrom Auto full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The MOST FUN place I've ever been employed at. It didn't feel like I was working most days because I would laugh constantly. Work hard, play hard mentality. Clean, bright facilities. Bergstrom Basics and Standards. Rewarding role - being able to use your brain to some capacity. Exciting to see new brands being acquired.

Cons

Oh, where to begin. Some of the managers are a JOKE... Undeserving of the positions they fulfill, but somehow land a sales/finance/general manager role because of their ability to brown-nose or marry into the Bergstrom family. Most hourly employees find it difficult to get a raise... even when clearly excelling in the position. If you're in sales, you're working around 50-55 hours a week and either earning around minimum wage or earning a 80k/year income. There is no happy medium. I literally don't know how this company could be the "#3 automotive dealer group to work for in the United States."

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing. Improve your personal development plans. It shouldn't take someone 8 years to change roles and move within the company - especially when employee performance is excellent. This only fosters employee turnover and dissatisfaction.

Trust fund babies "running" daddy's company...

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Appleton, WI

I worked at Bergstrom Auto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful facilities. Willing to do whatever it takes to make their "guests" happy. Great inventory, able to sell from other locations in most cases.

Cons

First off, there are numerous locations, and every "management team" will be different. This is my own experience at one of them, so it could be better, but it could be worse. I worked at a "high volume" imports location and have been in the car business roughly 13 years. Sold 140+ cars-mostly used- and made about $50 grand. Pay plan is average at best. This organization that "promotes from within". If you are looking to advance from wash rack to parts this is the place for you. If you are looking to get into F&I or sales management, you have a better chance being hired from outside the company than you do internally. The good news is that promotions aren't exactly given on job performance but on... other things. There are numerous "VP's" and directors, and upper management is a collection of accountants and attorneys. The majority of the phone ups and web leads are processed at a central location and then given to a sales manager who then hands them off to a salesman... If the used car manager hires his buddy from high school, he will more than likely get the better leads, so if you rely on phone ups and Internet leads to sell cars, think twice. Overall, I would not recommend working for here, and if they do make any "promises", get them in writing.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Take care of your employees as well as you do your guests. After all, they are the ones making you your millions.

Too many hours, not enough work and pay is sub-par.

I have been working at Bergstrom Auto full-time

Pros

Good equipment, guests always get treated great.

Cons

Expected to be at work for 50-70 hours a week depending on if it's a 4 or 6 day week. Working flat rate with no guarantee so you are still required to be there with no pay for the above stated hours. Management and owners care highly about guests but could care less about their employees. Even when cars are there to work on its anyone's guess if you will get paid for it due to the way they have their warranty clerks set up.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing, care more about the employees, fix how we all get paid for warranty and for the slow months, figure out a way where we can all work a normal amount of hours. In order to make a guest happy your employees need to be happy as well.

Worked about five years on and off. Hard to please all the powers at once. Largest auto group in Wisconsin.

Former Employee - Used Manager in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Used Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Bergstrom Auto full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good if can produce. In the store I was in turnover in my dept was high except the top dog.Fixed ops long term didn't have very high bars.

Cons

Strong competition between New and Used for same customers. Sorry there they are guests. Standards are very high level should be a plus but over the top.

Advice to Management

The employees are their biggest assets which they know but keeping a GM that keeps them from growing.

8. GREAT company to work for!!!

Current Employee - Sales Professional
    Current Employee - Sales Professional

I have been working at Bergstrom Auto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

+ Family atmosphere among co-workers + Willing to help employees accomplish their professional and personal goals + Growing company that employees MANY but also gives back to the community

Cons

+Slightly high turnover for sales people +High stress at times

Advice to Management

Continue to live by the core values and treat everyone like they are family :)

Great place

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Bergstrom Auto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, Vision. Honest - Not things that you usually hear about an Automotive Dealership. Great place to move up.

Cons

Work-life balance is tough in the sales side of the automotive industry.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Beware of the Good 'ol boys network

Former Employee - Sales & Leasing in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Sales & Leasing in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Bergstrom Auto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice building. Pretty glass office. Eat Cookies and drink soda while waiting for prospective car buyers.

Cons

Hired as the token female with arrogant male coworkers and managers. Difficult to integrate myself into their clique. Uneven playing field. Got deals taken away. Made fun of. Told I was stupid and to look for a different career. Humiliated in front of my colleagues. Snide comments and massive back stabbing. No time for my own family. No training. Awful experience. Had to memorize company motto and values. Very stuffy environment. Manager was insincere and shrewd.

Advice to Management

Get your managers formally trained and work on bullying issues. Be prepared to face real employee issues and not side step. Very shallow place. Work on real team building. The company culture is jaded and narrow minded.

11. I'm enjoying my career here.

I have been working at Bergstrom Auto full-time

Pros

Fun job, keeps your brain working. If you earn it, great pay. Opportunity for advancement is there to be had.

Cons

Your schedule is just that - a schedule. Work-life balance is terrible, but can be overcome.

RSS Feed </> Embed