Bergstrom Reviews

Updated February 21, 2015
6 reviews filtered by
2.6
Jack Shaffer

1. Its a ok company to work for if you need a job or need to learn a new one.

I have been working at Bergstrom

Pros

good training for a new job

Cons

good heath Insurance also good time off.

Advice to Management

there is no advice to become a Management

2. Joke.

Former Employee - Assembler in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Assembler in Joliet, IL

I worked at Bergstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay you. If you have no other options, it's an ok temp job to have.

Cons

The raises they give to full time, hired employees (Not temps) are a joke, small percentage of what the company profits throughout the year, the biggest raise I saw in my 4 years working there was around 60 cents. The yearly average I would get is no more than 10-15 cents, and these are with above average yearly reviews by upper management. The excuse Bergstrom uses in order for employees to get paid more and further in the company is to acquire a mastery. All the mastery program does is give Bergstrom an excuse to give employees that most likely have been working there for years already (and already deserved a $1.50 raise), a proper raise. They then place most of these masters in positions around the company for which many are under-qualified. Many are placed in the CAPPS department, and due to their lack of education, end up modifying the books and leaving them worse then before. Most of the books are filled with grammatical errors, badly worded instructions, and leave out vital information. Keep in mind that these books are supposed to be used by every assembler in the assembling process.

This company takes no responsibility for their lack of attention to their overall process of assembly. When an assembler commits a mistake that goes past the auditor and makes it to the CAT facilities, most supervisors would point full blame to the assembler, completely overlooking the auditor that was supposed to catch the mistake and failed to commit to their task. Many times I heard the excuse of "well the Auditors weren't even there when the company started the cab assembly operations" but fail to notice that that in itself was a crucial mistake on behalf of management. The auditor is a vital part of any assembly operation and should be held to full responsibility when they fail to do their job, as well as the assemblers. Many auditors appointed to their positions have had little to no experience as an assembler, and are expected to find inconsistencies based on a "Look here, here, there and there" sheet of paper and loosely overlooking nuts and bolts to check for tightness.

Since the beginning of my time at Bergstrom as a temp I was lied to, told that I would get hired in 30-60 days and it took a full 6 months to get hired. Once I was hired I was told I would get my full 2 weeks vacation and only received a fraction of it, and to add to that, I wasn't able to get a full raise until almost a year later (which didn't help much since the raise was like, 12 cents) due to the timing of which I was hired.

In no way am I knocking the Supervisors in charge of overlooking line operations at Bergstrom, though there has been more than a few rotten apples, many of them understand the employees and get pushed around by the higher-ups to meet impossible demands, unfortunately some also take that out on the employees working under them, which is no good, but only a result of a vicious cycle. I'm sure of the fact that if giving raises was merely based on employee performance and the supervisor's call of judgement, Bergstrom would be filled with many more happy employees, who get paid a lot more than they are as of now.

I could keep going, but I'm tired of typing.

So all in all, Bergstrom is a great place.

Advice to Management

uh, be better?

3. Overall very disappointing.

Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Production Supervisor in Joliet, IL

I worked at Bergstrom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Consider only as temporary employment not a company for long term employment.

Cons

Treatment of hourly and front line management boarders on abuse, considered as tools to be used until broken then simply replaced.

Advice to Management

Bergstrom ownership/management, please consider a full operational review of the Joliet operations. A full review of how temporary, hourly and salaried employees are treated by customer and plant management needs to be done.

Good JOB to have. Decent benefits, But dont expect a carreer.

Current Employee - Team Assembler in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Bergstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are mostly decent, very stable job. They will go out of thier way to accommodate any time off you need most of the time.

Cons

Pay raises are not performance based, they are a small percentage across the entire company (2%-3%) per year. (not even cost of living). 50 hours per week at a min in most positions. Usually more, which in my opinion is too much. Not much room for advancement. The largest single raise you will getis through thier "mastery program" ($1.50 hr)

Advice to Management

They should stop treating people like children in there policies and disciplinary actions. Oh and base they pay on performance, then folks might acctually do what you want them too.

6. Not a Place to Stay for too long.

Current Employee - Assembler in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Assembler in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Bergstrom

Pros

Insurance, very steady work. lots of overtime available (but it is mostly mandatory 50 hour weeks).
    If you are familiar with tools and you can put together your new TV stand you can do this job.

Cons

At the Joliet Locations we are "Sub-Contractors" for Caterpillar. which is a fancy way of saying that Caterpillar Does not want to pay Union Workers. Basically a Large Long Term Temp service for Cat.
    Bergstrom Doesnt Own anything in the building except the people.

Advice to Management

Communication needs to be More Clear, Direct, and Available More Offten. Also, A happy workforce is a more productive workforce, and money makes me HAPPY!

7. great experience.

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Bergstrom

Pros

Upper management and owers truely do care. When they say there is an open-door policy, it is true. Owners come around the dealership and shake hands with employees and Thank them for all that they do !! Fair pay and good benifits. All around good place to work.

Cons

there are not a lot of downsides, maybe the long hours that could be required if working in central accounting/warranty. We have a corporate office that would be nice if some of them showed up at the dealerships occasionally.