Berico Technologies

2.8

Marybeth Wootton

Great Place, Remarkable Talent, if you like Federal Contracting in the IC space

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have never worked on a smarter, more talented technical team that at Berico. Their recruiting department is amazing in its ability to find and hire top talent. They also do a lot of very interesting work with big data, visualization and near-bleed-edge opens source tech.

Cons

They want to be agile and lean. In fact they promote it quite a bit, but at the end of the day, they are a federal contractor and billing hours is more important than working efficiently. Their bonus structure and management mentality all center on that.

First learn and demonstrate a deep understanding of Agile yourselves by using agile management practices to run the company. Granted you need to follow GAAP for reporting to the feds and stuff but you don't need to use it for management accounting. Try inovation accounting or value based account (See Steve Denning's articles in Forbes) and stop using cost based accounting for decision making.

Terrific Company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Forward thinking leadership, benefits package very competitive, company paid training is encouraged yearly for your career growth

Cons

Small company so promotions may be limited depending on your role

Keep doing what you're doing to grow the company, my time working with you was enjoyable

Worst Job Ever!!!!!

Current Employee - Mid-Level in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Mid-Level in Washington, DC

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits used to be amazing, but they cut way back due to their declining business.

Cons

CEO is extremely nepotistic in leadership position hiring. Promotion from within is non-existent which has caused great talent to depart. If you aren't billing you are at risk. It's all about butts in seat!!!

Bring in fresh blood from the top down in all leadership positions.

OK company

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Have some great people working on contracts

Cons

Once the owners left the company has gone down hill.

Go back to the small company feel.

Overall it was great

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, good benefits for a small company, the company really went the extra mile to make me feel appreciated, and approachable supportive management.

Cons

Recently the company loss some key positions which hurt the benefits they offered and unfortunately there is not much in the way of career opportunities right now.

Keep aggressively pursuing new contract opportunities so as to bring back the great benefits that set Berico apart from their competitors.

Fantastic Opportunity for Career Growth

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Berico has some insanely smart engineers who are dedicated to open source technology. I really appreciate how approachable even the most senior developers in the company are. I had a chance to get to know a lot of the engineering team (being a geek myself) and was consistently impressed with the level of expertise demonstrated in UI/UX, and software design. If you're the type of person that likes to experiment with new, open source technology, then this is the place for you. Keep in mind, that with that kind of bleeding-edge technology, comes a lot of paper-cuts.

I would say you'll find 3 areas of expertise within the engineering staff:

1. Enterprise Messaging
    The Berico engineers I rubbed shoulders with, have some pretty mad enterprise messaging skills. Not a lot of teams that I know of doing publish-subscribe with RabbitMQ right from the browser.

2. Web Development (UI/UX)
    I didn't get to know the web teams as much but in my group we had one of the foremost AngularJS engineers I've ever met. Berico easily has some of the best looking and most well-thought UI I've ever seen.

3. Cloud/Virtualization
    The systems engineering team were the types that knew OpenStack, oVirt, or VMWare so well, they were committing fixes back to the projects themselves. Top notch engineering team. Wish I could take them wherever I went.

Cons

Like many small to mid-sized consulting firms, Berico has suffered a bit from the heavy cuts in the defense department. Tough to work when no contracts are being awarded anywhere. On the other hand, Berico has just started landing some key contracts which should help out a lot.

With a sole focus on defense, downturns can have their negative effects. I think Berico has figured this out and is expanding its reach to other fields.

Stay focused on diversification and product development. The talent is there to build out some top notch products.

Outlook is improving.....haters will hate.....perseverance will payoff!!

Current Employee - Committed Berico Employee/Supporter in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Committed Berico Employee/Supporter in Washington, DC

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great employees, and management team that truly cares. Developing products that are really cool, and that will create new opps for employees.

Cons

Not enough of new opportunities right now, bad apples who think they know everything, and unrealistic expectations of some people.

Keep working hard, continue to communicate with employees, and tune out the distractions. Remember that everyone that gets on the bus for the ride doesn't have to be on the bus for the whole ride.....there are stops on every bus route for a reason, drop some folks off and pick some new folks up.

Excellent engineers and interesting projects.

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time

Pros

Diverse variety of projects for DoD, military & government agencies. Wide variety of software technologies used from cloud computing, Java development, web services etc. Good exposure to agile development methodologies.

Cons

Small company with no guarantee of another project. Not a lot of job stability.

Be more communicative with employees about important issues as regards funding so that employees can be prepared for cut backs.

Worst management ever

I have been working at Berico Technologies

Pros

There are no good reasons to work here. Benefits used to be good, but have since been cut. There used to be a lot of good people working here. The have all either been laid off or left for better jobs.

Cons

Management has no clue how to run an IT business. Their incompetence is only surpassed by their arrogance.

A startup is suppose to be lean. Not here. At their peak they had 10 executives (VP up to Owners) with only ~100+ employees. Holy crap! That is one VP for every 10 employees. VPs that did NOTHING!! They failed to bring in new business. They failed to capitalize on the their existing product line. They failed to win proposals. They failed at everything. They believe that they can throw one engineer at IRAD, have him cobble together a bunch of open source into a demo, and sell it. They really have no idea what they are doing.

In the last two years, there has been nearly 10-18% turnover. This year they let go another 10-15%. All back office staff (HR, contracts, security,etc...). They no longer contribute to 401k and cut medical benefits. That should tell you a lot. I can name on one hand how many people have been here for more than two years. The company started in 2006!

I'm not even going to go into all the illegal crap they got into years ago.

You are parasites. Go away.

Some Good, Some Bad, Downward Spiral.

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Solid Engineering Talent. People are committed to delivering unique products to our agency clients.

Cons

Senior Management: They make decisions in the dark that directly effect employees then act surprised when people are unhappy about them. The benefits package is far inferior to what it was even a year ago. There has been a loss of vision over the past 6 months. Senior management needs to decide what type of company they want Berico to be. We keep hearing about becoming a products company yet they will only invest 1 FTE per product and are not really any commitment what so ever to bring anything to market.

The old HQ location in Arlington had a nice start-up feel to it. The new location in Reston could not be more drab and feels half way finished. If you love all grey cubes and walls, then this place is for you.

If you plan on becoming a products company then invest in that and at-least show your serious. There should also be company wide briefings at-least quarterly as 1/2 the company has no idea what the status is of our contracts or what Berico's vision is.

Berico Technologies Photos