Berico Technologies

Marybeth Wootton

Terrific Company to work for

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Forward thinking leadership, benefits package very competitive, company paid training is encouraged yearly for your career growth

Cons

Small company so promotions may be limited depending on your role

Keep doing what you're doing to grow the company, my time working with you was enjoyable

Fantastic Opportunity for Career Growth

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Berico has some insanely smart engineers who are dedicated to open source technology. I really appreciate how approachable even the most senior developers in the company are. I had a chance to get to know a lot of the engineering team (being a geek myself) and was consistently impressed with the level of expertise demonstrated in UI/UX, and software design. If you're the type of person that likes to experiment with new, open source technology, then this is the place for you. Keep in mind, that with that kind of bleeding-edge technology, comes a lot of paper-cuts.

I would say you'll find 3 areas of expertise within the engineering staff:

1. Enterprise Messaging
    The Berico engineers I rubbed shoulders with, have some pretty mad enterprise messaging skills. Not a lot of teams that I know of doing publish-subscribe with RabbitMQ right from the browser.

2. Web Development (UI/UX)
    I didn't get to know the web teams as much but in my group we had one of the foremost AngularJS engineers I've ever met. Berico easily has some of the best looking and most well-thought UI I've ever seen.

3. Cloud/Virtualization
    The systems engineering team were the types that knew OpenStack, oVirt, or VMWare so well, they were committing fixes back to the projects themselves. Top notch engineering team. Wish I could take them wherever I went.

Cons

Like many small to mid-sized consulting firms, Berico has suffered a bit from the heavy cuts in the defense department. Tough to work when no contracts are being awarded anywhere. On the other hand, Berico has just started landing some key contracts which should help out a lot.

With a sole focus on defense, downturns can have their negative effects. I think Berico has figured this out and is expanding its reach to other fields.

Stay focused on diversification and product development. The talent is there to build out some top notch products.

Not trying to be everything and really caring about individuals

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time

Pros

The engineers and the whole team are great. We''re working on some very cool things and management support ideas and trying new things. Unlike other companies I've been at, and friends work at now, no one is asking for charge codes for every second of your time. Some of the managers have organized sessions for discussing innovations based on what everyone is interested in. Very good benefits and open communications with everyone in the company accessible to talk about things.

Cons

Some of the team members are a little supremist on certain solutions, which can make them difficult to work with. Not sure how they ever survived in a larger company with more rules. Nothing worse than other personality things on engineering teams in most companies.

Keep trying to do big things, keep listening to ideas. I have friends in bigger companies that are reorganizing (for the 100th time) and getting stuck on boring work or getting laid off. Management hear actually tries to fit people with what they want to do and what they are good at. Refreshing.

Exciting company with a friendly atmosphere

Former Employee - Software Developer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Berico Technologies

Pros

Upper management keeps everyone in the loop
    Everyone is optimistic, even during failure
    They make new employees feel like they are part of a family
    They provide developers with the tools they need to get the job done

Cons

For obvious reasons, they keep vital information secure, especially after a break in that made it onto news sites a while ago. This can make some actions harder, but it never effected me as much.

Keep doing as you have been doing by making Berico a great place to work. I enjoyed my time there and will look back fondly.

Great Place, Remarkable Talent, if you like Federal Contracting in the IC space

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I worked at Berico Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have never worked on a smarter, more talented technical team that at Berico. Their recruiting department is amazing in its ability to find and hire top talent. They also do a lot of very interesting work with big data, visualization and near-bleed-edge opens source tech.

Cons

They want to be agile and lean. In fact they promote it quite a bit, but at the end of the day, they are a federal contractor and billing hours is more important than working efficiently. Their bonus structure and management mentality all center on that.

First learn and demonstrate a deep understanding of Agile yourselves by using agile management practices to run the company. Granted you need to follow GAAP for reporting to the feds and stuff but you don't need to use it for management accounting. Try inovation accounting or value based account (See Steve Denning's articles in Forbes) and stop using cost based accounting for decision making.

Overall it was great

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, good benefits for a small company, the company really went the extra mile to make me feel appreciated, and approachable supportive management.

Cons

Recently the company loss some key positions which hurt the benefits they offered and unfortunately there is not much in the way of career opportunities right now.

Keep aggressively pursuing new contract opportunities so as to bring back the great benefits that set Berico apart from their competitors.

Outlook is improving.....haters will hate.....perseverance will payoff!!

Current Employee - Committed Berico Employee/Supporter in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Committed Berico Employee/Supporter in Washington, DC

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great employees, and management team that truly cares. Developing products that are really cool, and that will create new opps for employees.

Cons

Not enough of new opportunities right now, bad apples who think they know everything, and unrealistic expectations of some people.

Keep working hard, continue to communicate with employees, and tune out the distractions. Remember that everyone that gets on the bus for the ride doesn't have to be on the bus for the whole ride.....there are stops on every bus route for a reason, drop some folks off and pick some new folks up.

Top place to work

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time

Pros

Energy, excitement, innovation, intelligent people, fast paced, never bored, incredible teammates....list can go on

Cons

still a small company, growing pains, unrealistic expectations of some, small company but a lot of opinions, top heavy

doing a good job, you can't fix every problem by overcorrecting, too many senior managers in the company - why? improve the bonuses.

Ambitious, Innovative, Great People

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic and diverse work force. The company has an extremely educated and engaged group of professionals contributing in many areas of expertise. For the majority of employees, those not on client-sites, the work schedule is extremely flexible. Employees that go above and beyond are rewarded. Weathering the economy; the company continues to get work while other, less fortunate companies, struggle to maintain the work they have.

Cons

Communication could be better. Management needs to do a better job explaining why it does things, and worry less about employee's perceptions. Employees need to do a better job addressing their concerns with management.

Don't suffer fools. The disruptive employees that have unduly brought down morale in the company over the last year should be shown the door. The fantastic set of employees that continue to make sacrifices and propel this company towards greatness should be given more ownership of the company.

Excellent engineers and interesting projects.

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time

Pros

Diverse variety of projects for DoD, military & government agencies. Wide variety of software technologies used from cloud computing, Java development, web services etc. Good exposure to agile development methodologies.

Cons

Small company with no guarantee of another project. Not a lot of job stability.

Be more communicative with employees about important issues as regards funding so that employees can be prepared for cut backs.

Berico Technologies Photos