Berklee

Be The First To
Add Photos

Berklee President Roger H. Brown

Roger H. Brown

Wonderful place to work, especially the customer service department!

Online Student Advisor (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsForward thinking, very dedicated staff, and all of the believe in the vision of Berklee and higher education online.

ConsSome of the managers have very big egos and often refuse to compromise. Human resources can also be very difficult to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more willing to assist your employees in their growth rather than stifling it with preconceived notions.

The worst IT Operations Department I've ever seen

ProsDays off and vacation. The college closes for several reasons during the year. Lots of different types of tech. It's in Boston and close to the T

ConsYou will get paid more elsewhere. You will work with more talented people elsewhere. Turnover in ITOPS is high. Systems team consists of mostly Jr. Admins. Not hard working. Management knows little of what their teams do. They don't and have not used industry best practices. Budgets are low and limiting. Lots of silo's and team members all work on different things. Meetings will take up your (and your teams) time making your team less effective. System admins are mostly ticket jockeys. Telecommute discouraged. The culture often dictates that as soon as you get a worthwhile teammate they will find a way to leave for a place where they are valued, leaving you with all their work and none of their skill. No process adherence or compliance in the few cases where there are processes to follow. Hard work and above average performance is not rewarded. Lazy and low performing team members are not held accountable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some Managers and Directors who have a proven track record with performance in an IT shop. Recognize and reward top performers/talent. People are aware of the failures, but stay because the failures will never lose them their jobs. The institution would benefit from the proper execution and adherence to a set of policies and procedures.

Satisfied

Coordinator (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsKnowledgeable, warm co-workers, wonderful students, good pay and benefits

ConsSome difficulty in mobility within a given department; many must hop from one department to another in order to advance in pay, title, etc.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked full-time for 4 years until re-organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGood pay and benefits, pleasant work environment

ConsDifficulty with departmental advancement and challenging with organization advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer in-house advancement

Higher education, musicians, and a corporate environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYou will make lifelong professional and personal relationships. Excellent benefits - healthcare, 401K, generous time off. Exposure to learning, students, and music. Many employees are deeply involved in helping students and volunteering. Not strictly conservative in professional attire. Managers encourage work/life balance.

ConsLarge corporate environment means change takes a long time or not at all. Management takes a top down approach. Some non-managerial employees feel managers get all the perks. Can seem political.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible. Encourage and implement ideas from non-managers.

Ok

Director (Current Employee) Greenwich, CT

ProsWork /life balance is bad

ConsLong hours are the rule.

Advice to Senior ManagementLonger hours

Love student body, instructors are inspiring, president was a very cool, the rest who run the college not professionals.

Information Technology (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAmazing musical talent everywhere, dynamic atmosphere, growing campus, exciting urban environment.

ConsTreat their staff like cattle, lean toward minority hiring without experience, discriminate by age.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your long term goals and the staff who are willing to help achieve those goals. Don't cast people aside.

Great Student Work Program

Stage Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBerklee College of Music has developed the most extensive Work-Study Program in the country. They offer jobs with real applications to the music industry and the majority of staff and teachers are former students. Many students who excel in their Work-Study Program are hired immediately upon graduation as supervisors.

ConsThere are few negatives about Berklee's Work-Study Program. The new-hire training is sufficient, but I would like to see a more outlined and developed training program.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchedule more training opportunities, and develop training criteria to keep things more consistent for all new employees.

Being a workstudy at Berklee College of Music is in my opinion one of the most important and rewarding experiences.

Berkle College of Music Workstudy (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsEndless variety of jobs across the entertainment business spectrum with supervision of real world professionals. Work with supervisors and managers that accommodate to your class schedule and also notice and reward your hard work. Build a strong network of professionals while in school and surround yourself of the people that you'll need to become successful in the future.

ConsCan't really think of a 'Con' at the moment for a student with relation to my workstudy position. The college is getting pricier than it already is but it's still worth more going than letting it pass.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a personal testimonial based solely on the small department I work for and the workstudy salary I have.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Low performing, Wild West

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAn extra week off at X-mas and a few holidays.
    School snow days.
    Laid back atmosphere.
    Performing at a high level is optional.
    New/Different technologies are always being deployed.

ConsBenefits and pay are not comparable to corporate equivalents. High turnover, low incentive to outperform your peers or even do more than the bare minimal. Metrics and stats on your work are rarely or never given any weight. Most times they aren't even seen by your manager. You will only ever get a cost of living raise and there are no bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementShield your technical staff from excessive meetings and interaction with users so that they can accomplish more. Allow teleconferencing for meetings to allow employees to take meetings at their desk while they work.

Worked for Berklee? Contribute to the Community!