Berkshire Communities

4.5
Chuck Leitner

1. Fantastic Company!

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Berkshire for nearly three years and have had a fantastic experience. I would highly recommend Berkshire to anyone looking for a career in Property Management.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement take some time, but the outlook is bright with growth on the horizon.

Great People!

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time

Pros

The people who make up the upper management of Berkshire are great! I have never been part of a company where upper management has been as involved, accessible, and as helpful as they are at Berkshire.

Cons

Too many job roles are placed on one individual which can slow down the process for getting things done efficiently.

Advice to Management

Spread job responsibilities among more individuals/ create larger departments

3. Fantastic Company and Asset Management

I have been working at Berkshire Communities

Pros

I've been with Berkshire Communities for several years, and I feel this company is among the best of the best. Berkshire fosters an environment where education is encouraged, and expectations are set high. I like where this company is going, I see the vision and the future that Berkshire is looking for. Top performers are recognized on a regular basis, and as with any property management company new opportunities come and go.

Cons

Opportunities are slow to come sometimes, but when the arise you are able to be considered for an open position. Nobody ever feels like they get paid enough, but I do feel that this is an area that Berkshire could improve.

5. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Property Manager

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for. You get tons of support and are truly valued as an employee. This is the happiest I have ever been in my career. Excellent communication and very nice people throughout the entire company. Excellent bonus structure. The best I have ever experienced with any company.

Cons

Properties are always selling and you could end up without a property in your region. They do have a nice disposition package though should that happen.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

6. Company Review

Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Assistant Property Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Berkshire has been wonderful! The company provides a positive environment for it's employees and allows for each individual to feel important. When upper management comes on site to visit they offer a warm and genuine presence. I have worked for other property management companies that make you feel less like a person and more like a number. Berkshire makes you feel like you are part of the family and I am proud to be part of such an amazing business!

Cons

They sell their properties often which could potentially cause employees to be without a job. Also, if you are located in a region that does not have a lot of properties there are less opportunities for promotion.

Advice to Management

Purchase more properties in the west.

7. employee survey

Current Employee - Main Tech in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Main Tech in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Berkshire Communities

Pros

overall a great company and they treat employees well.

Cons

need supplies and not in stock

Advice to Management

keep up with the good work

8. On its way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time

Pros

The company as a whole seems to understand the market and where to go. They purchase great pieces of real estate and are great at expanding. The feel of the company is as if you were working with family and your voice is always heard.

Cons

Some false promises are made. I do not believe it to be intentional but the company is under the impression it is growing faster than it really is. Sometimes growth is limited because they do not have someone to back fill another position or the company forgets to take the proper steps in growing you the right way.

Advice to Management

Lets really see what the game plan is. Keep the employees in the loop and work on real road maps with every position. We need to promote within and grow the company with proper procedures and policies.

9. APM

Current Employee - APM in Littleton, CO
    Current Employee - APM in Littleton, CO

I have been working at Berkshire Communities

Pros

advancement opportunity, outstanding benefits, voice is heard, genuinely cares about their employees

Cons

Need more properties in the Denver area

10. Could Not Be More Happy!

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Berkshire Communities just over two years ago and I'm impressed with the overall structure and professionalism of the organization. I worked for Troon Golf, leader in upscale golf course management, for many of years (9) and Berkshire Communities lives up to the "Troon Experience" within the property management industry. If you reading this review and wondering if Berkshire Communities is the right fit for you, I would be happy to comfort those feelings knowing you are joining a great company that will treat you like family.

Cons

The following may come be taken with a grain a salt. Being this is my first position within property management, I can only go off of hear say, but I'm told that Berkshire Communities bonus structure may be a little behind other employers within the industry. HOWEVER, with the said, the benefit package is outstanding and this may be the very reason for the offset.

11. Berkshire Communities

I have been working at Berkshire Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Berkshire Communities offers a great positive work environment. They have great benefits and 401 K program. They offer great training and go above and beyond training expectations when you first join the company and while you are employed with them. Positive support from upper management and branches of the company is a standard quality. Team work and spirit is not only suggested but is a true trait of being employed with Berkshire. They are always trying to further your career and keep within the company.

Cons

In our region there is very little growth (acquiring new properties) in one of the best rental markets in the country. Therefore the opportunity for growth is limited (specific to our region, may not be the case in others.) The career path is limited for those who are sales driven and want to remain in sales/marketing positions long term. The commission structure is lacking at best, one of the lowest in my 8 years of leasing. Stability in an ever changing market is a concern, and the nature of a career in property management.

Advice to Management

-Consider changing the commission structure

RSS Feed </> Embed